Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Old 8/8/11, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
doesnt BMW use a ZF 6 speed on the M3, ford should look at that as well
Last time I read, the current M3 uses a DCT from Getrag. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 8/8/11, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
Last time I read, the current M3 uses a DCT from Getrag. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
the 7 speed DCT is an option the std transmission is a 6 speed manual. the 7 speed is a getrag transmission. Also getrag makes the tranny for ferrari's 458 and california so we know they do know how to do something right ha. just apparently not MT-82 quality control
Old 8/8/11, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

NHTSA can have my car to open up. I bet they find all sorts of broken teeth all over the place.
Old 8/8/11, 04:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

the 7 speed DCT is an option the std transmission is a 6 speed manual. the 7 speed is a getrag transmission. Also getrag makes the tranny for ferrari's 458 and california so we know they do know how to do something right ha. just apparently not MT-82 quality control
The MT-82 could probably be built much better, but I'm sure Ford, Getrag China or both wanted to meet a budgetary mark and deciced against using a slightly higher quality part here or there throughout the transmission, therefore creating this mess.

It's disappointing to know these problems exist, while in low numbers, but exist none the less. I hope NHTSA, Ford, and Getrag get to the bottom of this and resolve.
Old 8/8/11, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Once again, I do not doubt some people are having problems, after all it is a mass produced piece of equipment; however, with 26,000 MT-82 equipped Mustangs on the road, and anywhere from 32 to 64 reports to NHTSA (depending on what you read) it is not a massive problem. I read some of the complaints, and most of them were reporting hard shifting, chipping, and missed shifts in the 1-4 range. I believe I only read three that complained of being locked out of a gear on the highway, with no crashes or injuries reported. One individual indicated he was rear ended, but then checked the no crash box.

NHTSA, it was reported can take up to a year to come to a conclusion, and then order the TSB or recall, if a mechanical defect can be found. Not exactly solving the problem.

As an aside, when I bought my GT last Jul, I asked the salesman about the skip shift, and received a "deer in the headlights" look in return. He had no idea what I was talking about. One article did mention the skip shift and the fact it might confuse drivers if they were not aware of it...in my case had I not researched the car extensively, I would have never known about it until I managed to digest the manual, as I am sure all of us do

I am sorry Ford did not step forward and at least contact owners with the MT-82, and have them bring in the car for a check up, take fluid samples from all of them for lab tests, to see if the problem was in the fluid used. Contaminated fluid, in some cars, could be the problem
Old 8/8/11, 04:50 PM
Cobra Member

does this Mustang belong to any of you??

Old 8/8/11, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I stand corrected. Remember nobody knows yet if its quality control. It could be a batch of parts that may have been doomed to fail from the start.

Originally Posted by kn7671
The MT-82 could probably be built much better, but I'm sure Ford, Getrag China or both wanted to meet a budgetary mark and deciced against using a slightly higher quality part here or there throughout the transmission, therefore creating this mess.

It's disappointing to know these problems exist, while in low numbers, but exist none the less. I hope NHTSA, Ford, and Getrag get to the bottom of this and resolve.
They will. Getrag doesn't want their image tarnished as well since their trannys are used in Ferraris, BMWs and so many other manufacturers. Its definitely something simple, just has to be found.
Old 8/8/11, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay

That's jmatero's car. Hes on here time to time.
Old 8/8/11, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i don't understand responses like this. i am really happy for you that your car has no transmission issues. i suspect eventually we will learn that the problem here is shoddy QC hence some people being fine and others having issues. i can only speak from my experience, but let me outline a situation for you.

the only time the problem with by boss 302 was more than an irritation for me was when i was on a highway with an 18-wheeler in front of me that was holding up traffic for a long way back. this part of Texas has a number of rolling hills in the back country areas which means you end up on two lane roads, with 70mph speed limits and strings of traffic hung up behind grandpa or big rigs.

with the hilly terrain 90% of all passing lanes are very short and you have no idea what is over the top of the hill that you can't see. In my instance with cars on my bumper i downshifted to third, put my foot in it and was at 85ish moving up as fast as the car would go since the passing lane was coming up on a hill i couldn't see over. Naturally i see a pair of headlight cresting the hill, i go to grab fourth and nothing. it wont go into fourth, it wont go into sixth so here i am coasting at 85, with another car bearing down on me at something in the range of 150mph closing speed on a two lane road with no shoulder.

i didn't panic as you seem to think it would take for this to happen. i had to hit the brakes and then the car finally went into fourth and i hit it and got over in front of the truck and all was fine. but what if the car had been closer? what if the guy behind me had filled the gap i vacated or decided to follow me around the truck? what then? my choices are the ditch at 80+ mph with giant Texas pine trees all around or a head on collision. Get the picture? This is a very big problem and can result in a major accident.
I totally understand that.

Here in California, during rush hour, there are traffic lights that allow cars to enter highways... when your light turns green, you have a very limited opportunity to get up to speed and merge into high-speed traffic. So, when you see an opening, you take it. Floor it in 1st... clutch in/out.... no second.... no first again.... no third... no fourth.... just 1st and 6th. With cars barreling down on you. 400hp is USELESS in 6th gear at 20mph. You lose momentum... and hear SCREEEEEEEECH behind you and just wait for the BANG.

The final straw for me was driving with a Ford Service Manager... we entered an intersection at slow speed and a woman drives THROUGH her red light. He was driving my car and tried to downshift from 4th to 3rd and NOTHING... then it wouldn't go into 2nd... or back into 4th. I thought we were done.
Old 8/8/11, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

ah i see. man thats a little different from how i pictured it in my head. its scary looking. i cringe everything time i hear that gear grinding noise... ive experienced it w/ the Focus a few times.. though that was pure driver error. i can happily say i havent grinded any gears in the Focus for a few good months now... now to rub it in or anything. i hope they get the issue resolved and fixed so you guys can enjoy your cars!!
Old 8/8/11, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

That's my car. They replaced the transmission and within 100 miles I lost 2nd and 3rd. I took that video on the way home from the dealer where a Ford FSE claimed "unable to reproduce shifting issues... no further action taken". Worst of all... double-clutching doesn't even get the thing to engage.

This is a better video of the issue:

and THIS one....

and THIS one...

Last edited by jmatero; 8/8/11 at 05:20 PM.
Old 8/8/11, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
That's my car. They replaced the transmission and within 100 miles I lost 2nd and 3rd. I took that video on the way home from the dealer where a Ford FSE claimed "unable to reproduce shifting issues... no further action taken".
that sucks. did the tech offer to ride along w/ you to see if you could replicate the issue??
Old 8/8/11, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

that sucks. did the tech offer to ride along w/ you to see if you could replicate the issue??
The first FSE rode with me and the service manager at 1400 miles when this happened to the first transmission and instantly approved a tranny replacement.

It was at the second dealer (recommended by Customer Care) for two weeks because the FSE's were out all over the place trying to see all these Mustangs with issues.... and he didn't call me like he was supposed to when he arrived at the dealer. Instead, he drove it alone and told Customer Care he was not approving any fixes because it was shifting normally.

Even the SERVICE MANAGER there drove with me when I dropped it off and saw how it was shifting and when I picked the car up, apologized and said "I saw it too John... I'm just the messenger"

Last edited by jmatero; 8/8/11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 8/8/11, 05:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneM
i don't understand responses like this. i am really happy for you that your car has no transmission issues. i suspect eventually we will learn that the problem here is shoddy QC hence some people being fine and others having issues. i can only speak from my experience, but let me outline a situation for you.

the only time the problem with by boss 302 was more than an irritation for me was when i was on a highway with an 18-wheeler in front of me that was holding up traffic for a long way back. this part of Texas has a number of rolling hills in the back country areas which means you end up on two lane roads, with 70mph speed limits and strings of traffic hung up behind grandpa or big rigs.

with the hilly terrain 90% of all passing lanes are very short and you have no idea what is over the top of the hill that you can't see. In my instance with cars on my bumper i downshifted to third, put my foot in it and was at 85ish moving up as fast as the car would go since the passing lane was coming up on a hill i couldn't see over. Naturally i see a pair of headlight cresting the hill, i go to grab fourth and nothing. it wont go into fourth, it wont go into sixth so here i am coasting at 85, with another car bearing down on me at something in the range of 150mph closing speed on a two lane road with no shoulder.

i didn't panic as you seem to think it would take for this to happen. i had to hit the brakes and then the car finally went into fourth and i hit it and got over in front of the truck and all was fine. but what if the car had been closer? what if the guy behind me had filled the gap i vacated or decided to follow me around the truck? what then? my choices are the ditch at 80+ mph with giant Texas pine trees all around or a head on collision. Get the picture? This is a very big problem and can result in a major accident.
Was that #1 or #333?
Old 8/8/11, 05:47 PM
Cobra Member

The first FSE rode with me and the service manager at 1400 miles when this happened to the first transmission and instantly approved a tranny replacement.

It was at the second dealer (recommended by Customer Care) for two weeks because the FSE's were out all over the place trying to see all these Mustangs with issues.... and he didn't call me like he was supposed to when he arrived at the dealer. Instead, he drove it alone and told Customer Care he was not approving any fixes because it was shifting normally.

Even the SERVICE MANAGER there drove with me when I dropped it off and saw how it was shifting and when I picked the car up, apologized and said "I saw it too John... I'm just the messenger"
wow. doesnt sound like that tech at the second dealer put alot of effort into it. he should have rode w/ you first, then drove it himself to see if he could do it... at least thats what i would have done if i were a tech.
Old 8/8/11, 05:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Once again, I do not doubt some people are having problems, after all it is a mass produced piece of equipment; however, with 26,000 MT-82 equipped Mustangs on the road, and anywhere from 32 to 64 reports to NHTSA (depending on what you read) it is not a massive problem.
Probably less than 1 in 50 owners even know there is such a thing as the NHTSA so that alone means the number is much higher.

Then you have to consider how many people know about the NHTSA and choose not to report incidents that they acknowledge could have killed them (e.g. ShaneM). It would be foolish to rule out the very real possibility of there being many many thousands of problem transmissions.
Old 8/8/11, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Owners completely unaware of the NHTSA and this forum are now posting all over the place... leading me to believe this is much bigger than even I THOUGHT it was...

Here's a guy on Edmunds:

snispnorty says:
12:46 PM, 08/08/2011
Oh my GOD, you guys just don't understand how happy I am to finally see the feds are looking into this. My '11 GT has been a scary beast since I bought it in August of '10. While merging into traffic at freeway speeds sometimes 75 or 80 mph, the transmission locks me out of gear and it seems my rear tires lock causing the car to loose traction and fish tail. You can imagine how puckered my *** gets when this occurs. Event has happened about 4 times since new and is completely random.

Dealership refuses to diagnose the issue because of the dangerous conditions it takes to recreate the event (75 or 80 mph) on the freeway.....not to mention what happens when the event does occur (fishtailing). However I completely understand their position. The technician is put in danger as well as other drivers and the dealership can potentially be held liable.

My first call to Ford regarding the issue was in October of '10 and here it is August of '11 and Ford is still not playing ball. In the meantime im stuck with a potentially dangerous vehicle and no where to turn. I called ford again today and was basically told "You're still *&^% out of luck". Can you hear the bellowing echo of FRUSTRATION.
Old 8/8/11, 06:40 PM
Cobra Member

Owners completely unaware of the NHTSA and this forum are now posting all over the place... leading me to believe this is much bigger than even I THOUGHT it was...

Here's a guy on Edmunds:
How do you manage to post on every forum and car review website out there?

Do you ever sleep? Are you a vampire who posts complaints everywhere by day while you sit in your basement waiting for the sun to go away, just to continue to do the same thing all night and selling blood on the black market to earn a living?

Because I have no idea how you do it

Old 8/8/11, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Owners completely unaware of the NHTSA and this forum are now posting all over the place... leading me to believe this is much bigger than even I THOUGHT it was...:
EXACTLY!! Just because the NHTSA only has 30-60 or so reports doesn't mean that is the extent of it. Agreed not many people know about it and certainly not everyone who buy's one of these cars (or any car for that matter) frequents a forum for their car, they are your average Joe who buy's it to get from A to B, always wanted it etc., etc..

I have no doubt that Ford are totally aware of the problem and have been trying to (all be it very slowly and poorly) find a solution that doesn't involve big $$$ and looking for that "magic bullett fix" whilst playing the problem down but now their hand is going to be forced into it, and rightly so.

I had major shift issues when the car was cold (no gears and grinding), got the fluid changed per the TSB and it made a noticable difference. However now the temps have been in the 80 - 90's I am getting issues again (I think the fluid is now too thin). I have only driven a standard transmission for 28 years of driving and I will say when the box is working right (exception not the rule) it is one of the best I have used.
Old 8/8/11, 06:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Having sold my 6MT in June...

Watch it there Eric, might be your two arms letting go next time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems