Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/11, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneM
the problem is with a ride along that the tech can't see that the pedal is sticking from the passenger seat. all a passenger sees is that i am fighting with the shifter between gates. the driving instructor on the track day where it happened first thought i was missing the shift and hitting the gates at first because he couldn't see that the pedal was not releasing. it's something you have to feel, i don't think its something you can see on a ride along.
You don't necessarily have to be the one driving.
Old 9/18/11, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Shane,

Put a video camera on the floor so you can catch the action....or lack of action. A bit of experimenting would give the view you need.
Old 9/18/11, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

I was talking to a service advisor yesterday, and he looked like a deer in the headlights when I mentioned the MT-82...no complaints around here...not one, and a few weeks ago I mentioned it at another dealership and received the same, "we haven't heard of any problems" story. I found that a little disconcerting since there is a TSB out. I can now understand why ShaneM had a "we could not replicate" answer at his dealer. Maybe they are hoping the problems/complaints will just go away.
Old 9/18/11, 07:52 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I was talking to a service advisor yesterday, and he looked like a deer in the headlights when I mentioned the MT-82...no complaints around here...not one, and a few weeks ago I mentioned it at another dealership and received the same, "we haven't heard of any problems" story. I found that a little disconcerting since there is a TSB out. I can now understand why ShaneM had a "we could not replicate" answer at his dealer. Maybe they are hoping the problems/complaints will just go away.
We haven't had one at our dealer yet either. :weird: and I work as a mechanic there. Not one has come in.
Old 9/18/11, 08:30 PM
GT Member

dude, rev match and normal driving techniques don't overcome a clutch pedal that won't come off the floor all the way. i still don't get it, why do some people assume automatically that its the driver. Just because yours is fine doesn't mean another owner isn't having trouble. mine is perfectly fine until you spin it to high rpms and at 7-7.5k i guarantee it will lock out and the pedal wont come up all the way on 3-4, it will do it every time.

At some point we will find that the reason some of these cars are perfect and some aren't boils down to QC in china. Many Chinese manufacturers are very well known for hit and miss QC.

i still say there are two issues going on with these transmissions. the clutch pedal assembly is not right, i still think that is the issue on my car just like the early 11's. some people had the problem with the clutch pedal and others didn't.
"dude", so totally right-on man. If your clutch assembly is an issue, you should go get it fixed.
Old 9/18/11, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Gee... or maybe... they really haven't seen one come in???? OMG!!!!!! What are the odds??????

Pretty good odds really that they wouldn't have seen one come in.
Old 9/18/11, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Local dealer has had one for the pressure plate bolts....that is all plus a GT500 for tranny issues.

As far as knowing the TSB's.....I really doubt any service writer knows the TSB's for any vehicles. Remember, they write on all vehicles and all years. What I would like to see is when they enter the VIN for repair, any TSB's come up on the screen. Then everybody would have the info.
Old 9/18/11, 08:38 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by AzPete
Local dealer has had one for the pressure plate bolts....that is all plus a GT500 for tranny issues.

As far as knowing the TSB's.....I really doubt any service writer knows the TSB's for any vehicles. Remember, they write on all vehicles and all years. What I would like to see is when they enter the VIN for repair, any TSB's come up on the screen. Then everybody would have the info.
Depends where they enter it in. If they enter it into OASIS then yes it will highlight tsbs and recalls in yellow. But if they use dealer trac or Reynolds and Reynolds then no. It will not show any tsbs or recalls
Old 9/19/11, 06:53 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
mine is perfectly fine until you spin it to high rpms and at 7-7.5k i guarantee it will lock out and the pedal wont come up all the way on 3-4, it will do it every time.
yes, it sticks at high rpm. i think its the same clutch the normal GT gets made of a different material.
at first i thought i was missing the shift, it took me a while to notice that the pedal wasn't coming all the way up.
Hey ShaneM,

Please, private message me with your dealer, mileage, contact info, and VIN so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. I’d like to see this get looked into further and resolved for you.

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Damm it's tough hearing what the dealers are doing. I worked for dealerships for many years but we were there to make money. No work. No money. Even warranty work paid something. The only good thing about complaining here is we have Deysha who I believe can help with these issues.
Thank you for the mention, AlsCobra!

Deysha
Old 9/19/11, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

When I took mine in, the service manager hadn't heard about the problem. I told him that Ford had issued a TSB, he looked it up, and they fixed it.
Old 9/19/11, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

the crunch tsb or is there a new tsb?
Old 9/19/11, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my clutch sheared off. warranty fixed it with a new plate/flywheel, but now the peddle sticks to the floor above 6500. i just live with it. it sucks. i dont shift it above 7k.
Old 9/19/11, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I've done some a few redline 3-4 shifts and my clutch has never stuck. Mine only has 4500 miles on it so maybe it's because it's still new.
Old 9/20/11, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

My dealer had never heard of a problem with an MT82 until mine either.
Old 9/20/11, 09:50 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by assasinator
my clutch sheared off. warranty fixed it with a new plate/flywheel, but now the peddle sticks to the floor above 6500. i just live with it. it sucks. i dont shift it above 7k.
Hi assasinator,

Please contact your dealer for diagnosis and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 9/20/11, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just wanted to provide a quick update here. My car went in last week Monday 9-12-11 to have my transmission checked out. They performed the fluid TSB which consequently made the whining I was receiving from the transmission louder in all gears except 5th.

Where 5th and 6th never made much noise, now 6th gear has a pronounced whine, which absolutely sucks for cruising if you're not in the mood to listen to music.

I took the car back lat Friday 9-16-11 and had the transmission tech do a ride along to confirm what I was hearing. Once again, the tech I rode with agreed that the noise seemed abnormal and louder than it should be. Hotline was contacted and I heard back from the dealer today.

Ford's response to my dealer is that this is normal and they will not authorize any inspection or repair on my car.

Basically the same run-around I received with a knocking engine. At this point I'm out of options to get anything resolved on this car outside of litigation. I don't have the time or energy to go that route.

Just to recap, my transmission was dead silent until about 4500 miles when it was in the shop having engineering look at the knocking engine. It started whining almost immediately after this visit. The car is 100% stock, down to the paper filter. It currently has 8500 miles on it and all oil changes and maintenance has been done through the dealer.

Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have any manual equipped mustang to test along side my car. In fact the only mustang they do have is a GT500.

Last edited by jlmounce; 9/20/11 at 01:17 PM.
Old 9/20/11, 05:12 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I would try the royal purple synchromesh.
Old 9/21/11, 01:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I would try the royal purple synchromesh.
I've had this in mine since 2,000 miles on the car almost 13,000 miles on it.
Old 9/21/11, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

My 2 cents

First off, I have a confession to make: I can barely drive stick. My experience with manual transmissions is limited to ~30-45 minutes behind the wheel of a 2005 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport Sedan that my dad had as a demo at the time. I stalled that car several times and burned up a little bit of the clutch lining.

Now, regarding the transmission issues with the Mustang, one could make the argument that 'hurr durr Ford rushed the car to market and is now paying for it', and for some, that is all the justification they'll need. However, that argument doesn't hold as much water when you consider that Land Rover Defender drivers have been reporting issues almost identical to those Mustang drivers have complained about. I realize that Mustang and the Defender have about as much in common as a Top Fuel dragster does with a Le Mans racer, but the point still stands: if Land Rover drivers (who have put up with a lot more BS from their vehicles than Mustang drivers) are complaining about the transmission, chances are that the flaw lies within the transmission and NOT the cars that it is installed in.
Old 9/22/11, 02:10 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
First off, I have a confession to make: I can barely drive stick. My experience with manual transmissions is limited to ~30-45 minutes behind the wheel of a 2005 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport Sedan that my dad had as a demo at the time. I stalled that car several times and burned up a little bit of the clutch lining.

Now, regarding the transmission issues with the Mustang, one could make the argument that 'hurr durr Ford rushed the car to market and is now paying for it', and for some, that is all the justification they'll need. However, that argument doesn't hold as much water when you consider that Land Rover Defender drivers have been reporting issues almost identical to those Mustang drivers have complained about. I realize that Mustang and the Defender have about as much in common as a Top Fuel dragster does with a Le Mans racer, but the point still stands: if Land Rover drivers (who have put up with a lot more BS from their vehicles than Mustang drivers) are complaining about the transmission, chances are that the flaw lies within the transmission and NOT the cars that it is installed in.
So you're basing it off what you read off another forum. So tell me how you know they're "exact" same problem?

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems