Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My turn on the Redline MTL review.

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/11, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My turn on the Redline MTL review.

Thanks to Sam Strano and his company. Ordered 3 qts from sam and got it in this afternoon. Took the GT out for a quick ride to warm up the tranny fluid. Hardest part of the entire thing was breaking lose the drain and fill plug.

There was some guy who wrote that the stock fluid gave him the creeps. I have to agree 100%. What is this sh*t Ford put in the MT82???? The first thing I noticed was the strong chemical smell it had. The next thing I noticed was that the fluid started burning my eyes and burning my nose. The wife walked into the garage and asked what that horrible smell was? Again, what is this sh*t Ford put in the MT82?????? I got some of this toxic crap on my hands, I'm expecting to wake up in the morning with an extra finger that has grown on my hand in the morning.

The MTL was a nice transmission oil smell. I welcomed that smell over the toxic ford crap.

I had an old car wash bucket that I cleaned and drained the toxic ford oil into. I then marked with a sharpie the level it was at. Dumped the toxic ford crap, washed the bucket and filled the MTL to the line where the Ford oil was at. Had a two way pump and had the new MTL in the tranny case within 5 minutes.

Right off the bat, putting the car in reveres was smooth. Drove around for about 8 miles and I could shift every gear with one finger. My tranny was pretty smooth to begin with but I did have the notchy 1-2. The notchy 1-2 is gone. Every gear is silky smooth. I've also got the JHR transmission bracket, so this transmission is shifting nice now. I highly recommend the MTL fluid swap as opposed to keeping the swamp toxic crap ford had in there.

I've also read that the more miles I put on and get the MTL worked into the syncro's the shifting will become even better.

Give Sam Strano your buisness and order from him. I ordered Monday night and had my stuff today, fast shipping.
Old 8/12/11, 08:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fake
Thanks to Sam Strano and his company. Ordered 3 qts from sam and got it in this afternoon. Took the GT out for a quick ride to warm up the tranny fluid. Hardest part of the entire thing was breaking lose the drain and fill plug.

There was some guy who wrote that the stock fluid gave him the creeps. I have to agree 100%. What is this sh*t Ford put in the MT82???? The first thing I noticed was the strong chemical smell it had. The next thing I noticed was that the fluid started burning my eyes and burning my nose. The wife walked into the garage and asked what that horrible smell was? Again, what is this sh*t Ford put in the MT82?????? I got some of this toxic crap on my hands, I'm expecting to wake up in the morning with an extra finger that has grown on my hand in the morning.

The MTL was a nice transmission oil smell. I welcomed that smell over the toxic ford crap.

I had an old car wash bucket that I cleaned and drained the toxic ford oil into. I then marked with a sharpie the level it was at. Dumped the toxic ford crap, washed the bucket and filled the MTL to the line where the Ford oil was at. Had a two way pump and had the new MTL in the tranny case within 5 minutes.

Right off the bat, putting the car in reveres was smooth. Drove around for about 8 miles and I could shift every gear with one finger. My tranny was pretty smooth to begin with but I did have the notchy 1-2. The notchy 1-2 is gone. Every gear is silky smooth. I've also got the JHR transmission bracket, so this transmission is shifting nice now. I highly recommend the MTL fluid swap as opposed to keeping the swamp toxic crap ford had in there.

I've also read that the more miles I put on and get the MTL worked into the syncro's the shifting will become even better.

Give Sam Strano your buisness and order from him. I ordered Monday night and had my stuff today, fast shipping.
Agreed 100%,
I'm also running the MTL since this afternoon and couldn't believe the stuff Ford has put in our 6MT tranny. Terrible smell and a color i can't even describe.
Shifting has improved in all gears, notchy 1-2 shift is gone.
Nice improvement and very pleased with the 20 miles i drove on the MTL so far.
Just hope it stays that way.
Old 8/12/11, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear! I'm doing mine tomorrow.
Old 8/12/11, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the review. Definitely will give this a try.
Old 8/12/11, 09:02 PM
V6 Member

Mine is sitting on a shelf with the JHR shift gate just waiting for the **** car to get here!!!!
Old 8/12/11, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed, Sam is really helpful with everything and i got everything in about two days time. Fluid swap not too bad. My friend is a mechanic and he was over and he agreed the stock fluid was crap, mine smelled awful.
Old 8/13/11, 05:14 AM
GTR Member

Good to hear people are seeing results with the MTL. I've definitely started thinking seriously about doing this.
Old 8/13/11, 08:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anyone thought about getting the old fluid tested to see exactly what it is? I mentioned this before in the MT-82 thread, but I have always wondered if the fluid was the cause of all the issues and failures. Let's face it, no matter what Ford or Getrag specified for the transmission, if no one tests the fluid actually in the transmissions, who knows what is in there. I would hope Ford has tested the fluid on the falied units...but, then again....
Old 8/13/11, 09:09 AM
GTR Member

You could probably contact Blackstone Labs. I believe they do trans. fluid as well as oil.
Old 8/13/11, 09:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

This is the stuff that was in my tranny. Smell was disgusting, nothing like i've ever smelled in a tranny oil, very chemical like. Anyway's, day two on the MTL fluid, and it just getting better as i rack up the miles. Next on the list is JHR shifter bracket.

Old 8/13/11, 09:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
This is the stuff that was in my tranny. Smell was disgusting, nothing like i've ever smelled in a tranny oil, very chemical like. Anyway's, day two on the MTL fluid, and it just getting better as i rack up the miles. Next on the list is JHR shifter bracket.

That railing and those shrubs certainly would have caused some crappy shift action.
Old 8/14/11, 02:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
That railing and those shrubs certainly would have caused some crappy shift action.

Okay, that cracked me up!
Old 8/14/11, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hate to ask a warranty question but . . . would the Redline fluid void our warranty on the Transmission? Or is this considered an OEM replacement? Last thing I want is a syncro to go out and hear I changed the fluid so we aren't gonna fix it.
Old 8/14/11, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Redline MTL meets Ford specs, so in theory they cannot void your transmission warranty based on using that fluid.
Old 8/14/11, 09:43 PM
FR500 Member

For those who are wondering what is in the oil. Here is the MSDS sheet for Motorcraft Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid, which is what is spec'd for our cars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CA175246en.pdf (155.4 KB, 329 views)
Old 8/15/11, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Redline MTL meets Ford specs, so in theory they cannot void your transmission warranty based on using that fluid.
That seems to be parroted quite a bit but I've yet to see it in writing one way or the other.

I may or may not suggest saving the QS fluid until it's proven one way or the other. (whistle...)
Old 8/15/11, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

seems like the MTL is doing good things, maybe someone should recommend to ford they use it
Old 8/15/11, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fake
I'm seeing more people using the JHR bracket. Is it superior to the Barton or Steeda bracket & if so what makes it better?
Old 8/15/11, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by The Sheriff
I'm seeing more people using the JHR bracket. Is it superior to the Barton or Steeda bracket & if so what makes it better?
They all work exactly the same. Only reason I chose JHR, was for the price, a nice chunk of aluminum, and you don't have to mess with those 4 little screws like the Barton bracket. JHR bolts right up in 10 minutes. The Barton bolts right up but then you have to tighten those 4 tiny bolts. Who ever you choose, they all work the same. The steeda bolts right up plus you get two bushings with the kit.
Old 8/15/11, 04:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
It seems Redline has made a change. Check this out.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...n-fluid-3.html

Quick Reply: My turn on the Redline MTL review.