2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Missing my Mustang

Old 4/18/14, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Missing my Mustang

It's been almost a year since I swapped the Lava Red '12 GT for the Challenger. This week I've seen several really clean '11-'12s with wonderful sounding exhaust (like the Roush on mine was). And a guy at work drives a beautiful black Stage 3 that I see every few days. Sigh.

I swap cars way too often, and usually have a twinge of regret the first week or two... but this last one comes back to haunt me pretty hard every couple months.
Old 4/18/14, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's how I feel about not buying a slightly used 6k mile 2008 z06 when I bought my mustang. I still feel that way.......
Old 4/18/14, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
so let me get this straight... you traded your mustang gt for a v6 challenger?

Old 4/18/14, 05:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
It's been almost a year since I swapped the Lava Red '12 GT for the Challenger. This week I've seen several really clean '11-'12s with wonderful sounding exhaust (like the Roush on mine was). And a guy at work drives a beautiful black Stage 3 that I see every few days. Sigh. I swap cars way too often, and usually have a twinge of regret the first week or two... but this last one comes back to haunt me pretty hard every couple months.
I could maybe see a trade for a truck or economy car but trade a GT for a challenger??
Old 4/18/14, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only way I could see myself trading a Mustang for a Chally is if it's a SRT-392, otherwise... nope.
Old 4/18/14, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
So is the grass greener on the other side?
Old 4/18/14, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Why would you trade a wonderful Mustang for a Mo-pus?
Old 4/18/14, 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Before I bought my 14 GT, I was seriously considering a Challenger RT and probably would own one if the color I wanted would have been available at the time. I think they look slightly better than the Mustang and do ride nicer. My GT does feel slightly more powerful than the RT's I drove.

The one thing that I did not like about the Challenger with the 5.7 Hemi and auto tranny was the MDS system that shut off half the cylinders to save gas. On the cars I drove, it was very noticeable to me when this system would switch back and forth between the two modes. To me it felt like the engine had a miss in it. This is what stopped me from buying the car I was looking at in the color I wanted on the day I went to buy. When I decided later to buy it anyway, they had already sold the car and there were no cars anywhere close in the PCP color I wanted.

I said screw it and went with my second choice which was the Mustang. I don't regret buying the Mustang but would still like to own a Challenger one day.

Wayne
Old 4/19/14, 12:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a 13 Base and went to a 09 RT Charger. Went back to another mustang 3 months later. The hemi engines aren't too bad but the suspension is awful. I love the looks of the Challenger but would never buy another Mopar again. It was that **** Vossen website they have some sick looking Challengers and Chargers .
Old 4/19/14, 05:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Challengers are beautiful cars, my favorite as far as looks go in the affordable muscle car family.
Old 4/19/14, 06:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
so let me get this straight... you traded your mustang gt for a v6 challenger?
I didn't drive the Mustang hard very often... so I didn't 'need' that much power anymore. I like the look of the Challenger. Went with the V6 because I could get the loaded up model for the same money as a cloth manual R/T, and wasn't impressed with the 70hp difference between the two.

The Dodge rides nice, looks nice, gets better gas mileage, is easier to get in and out of. There's a lot to like about it, and some nits to pick as well... just like with any other car.
Old 4/19/14, 06:44 AM

Liked the SRT8 challenger, just found the suspension was overwhelmed with the car's weight,as spring rates soften a bit as the spring settles in, that meant a more pronounced soft suspension over time.
When I was in the market for a new car, I looked at 3 different rides;
1.Dodge SRT8 Challenger.
2.GM Camaro SS.
3. Ford Mustang GT/CS.
My cousin's GF lent me the Camaro SS for a week while she was in England on business........HATED it and parked it back in their driveway with in 3 days.

I drove the SRT8 on 3 different occasions, felt it was ready to tip on it's side for lack or firmer rate springs/shocks, especially during cornering...the weight presence was always obvious to me, so no thanks.

Drove the Mustang GT, was blown away by the overall balance of the ride, felt light(er) and a hell of a lot more agile, seduced by it's looks and performance....mission accomplished, found the car of my dreams.
Other than the quirky vague shifter feel, it was been a terrific ride overall, loved it then, and still in love with it now!
Old 4/19/14, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I never drove the new SRT8 Challenger because I wasn't going to spend that kind of money but I did drive a 2009 SRT8 Challenger with the 6.1 Hemi and it felt pretty quick. I almost bought that one but the dealer that had it was trying to get an almost new price for it and would only come down to $32,000 for it. The car was almost five years old at that point and was only about 41-42,000 new.

The funny thing about that was I called about the price about a week prior to me coming in to look at it and they quoted a $35,000 price over the phone. When I came in to look at it, I didn't initially tell them I had called about it and they quoted me a $41,000 price for the car. I told them they were nuts to be asking full sticker price for an almost five year old car and that they had told me $35,000 just a week earlier. They were also trying to charge me over 25% interest on someone who had excellent credit. To say the least, when I left there, I was not a happy camper. They reinforced everything bad people hear about car dealers and salesmen.

Wayne
Old 4/19/14, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I swap cars way too often, and usually have a twinge of regret the first week or two... but this last one comes back to haunt me pretty hard every couple months.
Time for a 2015

What were you looking for in the Challenger that is different than the Mustang? And what criteria rated higher such that you would change to that vehicle?

I really like the style of the Challenger, and I like what has been done to the 2015 model.
Old 4/19/14, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I traded my 12 gt base auto for a 2014 charger rt with blacktop package. I really do like the challengers and chargers but I chose a charger because i felt if I went for a challenger it would be like going for another muscle car and I wanted to try something different. Well I really liked the space, the sound system, and smoother ride, but after about 6 weeks I really started missing my mustang(its all I had ever driven up to that point). After catching myself continuously looking at mustangs online and lurking through the fourms, I called a dealership and asked if there was anyway to get me back into one. Just one week before 2 months they were able to get me back into one with only 1k hit. I couldnt be happier, although if I would have been able to afford a srt8 challenger maybe I would have stuck with a mopar for a while. Another thing I didnt like was the lack of aftermarket parts and being alot more expensive as well.

Missing my Mustang-image-36121804.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Missing my Mustang-image-3227895590.jpg   Missing my Mustang-image-626743523.jpg  

Last edited by gruiz_06; 4/19/14 at 07:27 PM.
Old 4/20/14, 06:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Time for a 2015

What were you looking for in the Challenger that is different than the Mustang? And what criteria rated higher such that you would change to that vehicle?

I really like the style of the Challenger, and I like what has been done to the 2015 model.
I'd been in a Mustang for I think 3-1/2 years ('10 v6 and the '12 GT). I usually start getting the itch to change after a couple years... so no real reason.
Old 4/20/14, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd been in a Mustang for I think 3-1/2 years ('10 v6 and the '12 GT). I usually start getting the itch to change after a couple years... so no real reason.
I buy the diecasts now when I get the itch