Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just got back from the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/11, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Just got back from the dealer

I took my car in because it has a clunking happening when engaging in gear. It is an automatic transmission and when ever you shift the car from Park into Drive, or from Park into Reverse, or Drive into Reverse you will hear a "clunk"... It even happens when slowly coming to a stop, the car goes to downshift you will hear a loud "clunk". I'm not sure exactly if its coming from the transmission, or the differential, but it basically happens anytime the tranny goes to hook up with the driveshaft and diff. Although it could even be coming from inside the tranny, i really dont know, its hard to tell. I went for a ride with one of the techs and got them to confirm the noise... he could clearly hear it and acknowledged it. They went and opened the rear diff for me and said they couldn't find anything. That was their solution... "we can't find anything wrong"... clearly something is wrong when a brand new car makes noises like that...

Does anybody else have this clunking, or maybe any insight as to what it might be or what i could do about it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 9/28/11, 06:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
I took my car in because it has a clunking happening when engaging in gear. It is an automatic transmission and when ever you shift the car from Park into Drive, or from Park into Reverse, or Drive into Reverse you will hear a "clunk"... It even happens when slowly coming to a stop, the car goes to downshift you will hear a loud "clunk". I'm not sure exactly if its coming from the transmission, or the differential, but it basically happens anytime the tranny goes to hook up with the driveshaft and diff. Although it could even be coming from inside the tranny, i really dont know, its hard to tell. I went for a ride with one of the techs and got them to confirm the noise... he could clearly hear it and acknowledged it. They went and opened the rear diff for me and said they couldn't find anything. That was their solution... "we can't find anything wrong"... clearly something is wrong when a brand new car makes noises like that...

Does anybody else have this clunking, or maybe any insight as to what it might be or what i could do about it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance
Speak with Deysha , shes the Ford Customer Service on this site,
https://themustangsource.com/members...ervice-111098/
Old 9/28/11, 06:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does it coming to a stop sometimes. It's backlash ; im not worried about it. My 10 second 93 notch with a lentech tranny did it way worse .

Last edited by 2012GT; 9/28/11 at 06:41 PM.
Old 9/28/11, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why would they only inspect the rear differential? Why didn't they look at the transmission at all?
Old 9/28/11, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds to me like drive shaft and u-joint problems. Easy to look at yourself if you can get under the car.
Old 9/28/11, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Sounds to me like drive shaft and u-joint problems. Easy to look at yourself if you can get under the car.
Yep, these 2 piece driveshafts can do that. I had the same problem with my 2002 Ranger and Ford had a TSB out for it.
Old 9/29/11, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine does that too. I guess it's from lash in the drivetrain and I don't think there's anything that can be done about it.
Old 9/29/11, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by monkeystash
Yep, these 2 piece driveshafts can do that. I had the same problem with my 2002 Ranger and Ford had a TSB out for it.
Agreed. These 2 piece driveshafts aren't worth squat.
Old 9/29/11, 06:34 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Agreed. These 2 piece driveshafts aren't worth squat.
Its to bad Ford couldn't have used a 1-piece shaft, unfortunately the critical speed wouldn't have been good enough with a one piece shaft without going to something pricey like a metal matrix driveshaft (GM uses them I think in its full size trucks to avoid using a two-piece shaft).
Old 9/29/11, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Its to bad Ford couldn't have used a 1-piece shaft, unfortunately the critical speed wouldn't have been good enough with a one piece shaft without going to something pricey like a metal matrix driveshaft (GM uses them I think in its full size trucks to avoid using a two-piece shaft).

I'm not too upset by Ford's choice. There's plenty of aftermarket compaines making one piece driveshafts for these cars. It should be one of the first upgrades that anyone does while owning one of these cars. Within the first week is my choice. Also, get it made in carbon fiber, only driveshaft you'll ever need.
Old 9/29/11, 11:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03

I'm not too upset by Ford's choice. There's plenty of aftermarket compaines making one piece driveshafts for these cars. It should be one of the first upgrades that anyone does while owning one of these cars. Within the first week is my choice. Also, get it made in carbon fiber, only driveshaft you'll ever need.
Now I feel like I should buy one before my LTs...
Old 9/29/11, 11:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
Now I feel like I should buy one before my LTs...

ARH 1 7/8" LT's is less than or equal to the price of a Dynotech one piece carbon fiber driveshaft. Me personally, I'd do the driveshaft first.
Old 9/30/11, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will always be some clunking with a RWD performance car, and most trucks for that matter. But it shouldn't be excessive. I'd have them check pinion angle first, then pinion gear lash.
Old 9/30/11, 07:09 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc.inc
I took my car in because it has a clunking happening when engaging in gear. I went for a ride with one of the techs and got them to confirm the noise... he could clearly hear it and acknowledged it. They went and opened the rear diff for me and said they couldn't find anything. That was their solution... "we can't find anything wrong"... clearly something is wrong when a brand new car makes noises like that...
I’d like to escalate this for you to the Customer Service Manager in your area, xtc.inc. Please private message me your dealer, contact info, mileage and VIN so I can help.
Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Speak with Deysha , shes the Ford Customer Service on this site,
https://themustangsource.com/members...ervice-111098/
Thank you tons for providing my info, UnrealFord!

Originally Posted by Keystone
Mine does that too. I guess it's from lash in the drivetrain and I don't think there's anything that can be done about it.
Have you brought this up to your Ford dealer yet, Keystone? If not, Please make an appointment with them as soon as possible and PM me with your info as well.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 9/30/11 at 07:11 AM.
Old 9/30/11, 08:40 AM
GTR Member

Mine is at the dealer for a similar issue right now. I took the shop foreman for a ride and he acknowledged it, and they've been working on trying to fix it since the beginning of the week. I'll let you know what they find.

Deysha has been a big help. I'd definitely give her your info if you need to. If the dealer hadn't stepped up, I'd be chatting with her. In the slim chance they don't fix the problem, she'll be hearing from me.
Old 9/30/11, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine does it too. Doesn't sound good for sure. It happens to me only when dropping into first right before I come to a complete stop.
Old 10/3/11, 06:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Deysha has been a big help. I'd definitely give her your info if you need to. If the dealer hadn't stepped up, I'd be chatting with her.
Thank you for the kudos, Overboost!

Originally Posted by going for broke
Mine does it too. Doesn't sound good for sure. It happens to me only when dropping into first right before I come to a complete stop.
Hey going for broke,

Let me escalate this for you as well. Please make an appointment with your dealer and since I have your VIN already, PM me your dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 10/3/11, 12:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Its to bad Ford couldn't have used a 1-piece shaft,
Engineer said it was because of puncturing the fuel tank in certain accident instances.
Old 10/3/11, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Only 5,000 miles on mine, but no "clunk" issues here. I do know that I have to have my foot on the brake when I go from Park to D or R... This car goes into gear and it wants to GO... NOW! (Not so good in busy parking lots!)
Old 2/2/12, 01:31 PM

I have a similar issue, one dealer told me they couldn't replicate the problem over a year ago, and another said it was normal. I talked to steeda since all my parts are steeda and they said it was becuase of the two piece drive shaft having lash. They said that a one piece driveshaft will fix this issue. So here in a few weeks I'm probually going to order one if I can't get Ford to fix it which is the route I'm one now. Just waiting on the CSR to call me again.

Quick Reply: Just got back from the dealer