Search this Thread

Old 2/1/12, 10:28 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation January 2012 Mustang Sales Figures

Delivery (sales) Stats:
Mustang January 2012 Deliveries (actual sales): 3,736

Compared to Competition:
Camaro sold 5,709 units in January 2012.
Challenger sold 2,551 units in January 2012.

Old 2/1/12, 11:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can see why Ford had to push the car to a more cartoonish design and away from the seeker classic design and add the modern goodies to compete with the Cartoonish over the top Camaro. This is what appeals to the younger crowd as we are living in the animated/video game era. We shall see over the next yr if the changes will pay off for Ford or if most are just tired of the Mustang. But it may be just the classic design as look at the Challenger sales. I bet the over the top cartoonish Charger is doing very well.
Old 2/1/12, 11:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Hard to believe the Challenger is so very far behind. It's a far more beautiful car, front to back, top to bottom, inside and out, than the new camaro. And it's not even close.

Stuff like this makes me think the movie Idiocracy is a lot closer than it should be.
Old 2/1/12, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Shows how simple minded america is. People are dumb enough to buy An overpriced, hideous, obese muscle car that gets its a$$ handed to it by a far superior, less expensive and better looking mustang. All for what? The camaro name? The chevy name? GM is a s**t company always has been. Ford didn't take the bailout people. You know why? Because they make a better product. Its kinda good for me though. Everyone and there mother has a camaro here in the capital region. Cant wait to roll out my "one of a kind" 2013 GT premium and show these mullets whats up.
Old 2/1/12, 11:26 AM

Old 2/1/12, 11:41 AM

The Camaro interior is ugly and cheap looking. The dash and guages look like crap. The Challenger is by far better and would be my pick if I were buying something other than the 2013 Mustang GT. Actually, if the Challenger was lighter and Chrysler had not encrypted the PCM on the 12's it would be a hard choice between the Mustang and Challenger.
Old 2/1/12, 12:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree, I'd choose a Challenger over a Camaro any day of the week and twice on track days.
Old 2/1/12, 12:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think what holds back the Challenger is that it is a true classic remake. All us classic car lovers love it but the average young buyer looking for a sporty car do not get it. Its more of a boulevard cruiser and this is why you see older gents owning them. Plus you do not see many women driving them as you do v6 Mustangs or Camaro's. Also the power to $ ratio is pretty poor with a car that size. R/T needs to have 425 to even be tempting with SRT8 be around 500+.
Old 2/1/12, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO
Shows how simple minded america is. People are dumb enough to buy An overpriced, hideous, obese muscle car that gets its a$$ handed to it by a far superior, less expensive and better looking mustang. All for what? The camaro name? The chevy name? GM is a s**t company always has been. Ford didn't take the bailout people. You know why? Because they make a better product. Its kinda good for me though. Everyone and there mother has a camaro here in the capital region. Cant wait to roll out my "one of a kind" 2013 GT premium and show these mullets whats up.
You mean like when the far inferior SN95 & new edge Mustangs were outselling LS1 powered Fbodys? Look, obviously we're all Mustang fans here and the 5.0 is the better performing car of the three but it's a little presumptuous of you to say that the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang because people are idiots. As far as pricing goes, a 5.0 premium (to match a 2ss) with the Brembo package are both pretty much the same price. Don't just look at msrp.
Old 2/1/12, 03:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Yeah...in addition to what tbi0904 said, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest GM is probably not a sh*t company, since they've been the #1 brand in the world for decades and has been ahead of Ford in sales since the Great Depression. It's ok to be a Ford fan/Mustang owner and respect the competition. I'm just happy the top car in the segment is American and is so good it forced Ford to make the Mustangs we all love so much. Would you guys rather it be a new Celica/Supra from Toyota that's #1?
Old 2/1/12, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Yeah...in addition to what tbi0904 said, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest GM is probably not a sh*t company, since they've been the #1 brand in the world for decades and has been ahead of Ford in sales since the Great Depression. It's ok to be a Ford fan/Mustang owner and respect the competition. I'm just happy the top car in the segment is American and is so good it forced Ford to make the Mustangs we all love so much. Would you guys rather it be a new Celica/Supra from Toyota that's #1?
, besides that I own 4 camaro's, so maybe I am .........
Old 2/1/12, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tbi0904
You mean like when the far inferior SN95 & new edge Mustangs were outselling LS1 powered Fbodys? Look, obviously we're all Mustang fans here and the 5.0 is the better performing car of the three but it's a little presumptuous of you to say that the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang because people are idiots. As far as pricing goes, a 5.0 premium (to match a 2ss) with the Brembo package are both pretty much the same price. Don't just look at msrp.
I can't comment on the late 90s early 2000 muscle car era. I just wasn't a fan of either car. Not really sure what was going on there.

Focusing on the now, why is the Camaro outselling the Mustang? IMO it's HYPE. It's radically unorthodox styling tribute to the late 60s is somehow more appealing to the simple American. Maybe Transformers helped a little, or maybe they're all idiots. People care more about cosmetics than function. It's a simple minded decision. The Mustang is a superior machine. 9,000 people chose an archaic push-rod design with 2 valves per cylinder and no variable valve timing. Get with the times GM. Ford uses 1.2 liters less displacement while matching you in horsepower and besting you in mpg. Aren't we also like 250 pounds lighter? Everyone I've met that owns this new Camaro seem to know nothing about cars. Everyone I know that owns this new Mustang is a "car guy".

This video sums it up... (warning, strong language)

Last edited by ThrustangFiveO; 2/1/12 at 05:14 PM.
Old 2/1/12, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Yea when u take a single frame w/engine and and throw a different body and interior on it marketing it under 3 to 4 different divisions (ex: Grand Prix, Impala/Lumina, Regal, Cutlass) , you're gonna fool people into buying your car. That should help you outsell the competition for decades. It's brilliant really, I can't fault them on it. Doesn't make it a quality car though. Forced Ford to do the same on a much lesser scale. Don't get me wrong we need the big three to remain intact for Americas sake. Maybe I was a little harsh in saying GM is a s**t company but when they take a governement bail out due to poor descion making and then emerge only to tell customers they wont honer certain major warranty claims because those warranties were formed under "the old GM", kinda hard to feel bad for that company.
Old 2/1/12, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't comment on the late 90s early 2000 muscle car era. I just wasn't a fan of either car. Not really sure what was going on there.

Focusing on the now, why is the Camaro outselling the Mustang? IMO it's HYPE. It's radically unorthodox styling tribute to the late 60s is somehow more appealing to the simple American. Maybe Transformers helped a little, or maybe they're all idiots. People care more about cosmetics than function. It's a simple minded decision. The Mustang is a superior machine. 9,000 people chose an archaic push-rod design with 2 valves per cylinder and no variable valve timing. Get with the times GM. Ford uses 1.2 liters less displacement while matching you in horsepower and besting you in mpg. Aren't we also like 250 pounds lighter? Everyone I've met that owns this new Camaro seem to know nothing about cars. Everyone I know that owns this new Mustang is a "car guy".

You are saying get with the now. Yea, your right, the Coyote is a hell of a motor, but good god man, it took Ford forever to come up with an engine worth a crap. Sorry but the 4.6 didnt count. 1994-2003 was disgusting for Ford. I was a die-hard Fox body nut and have owned probably 20+ of them but when 1994 came around I jumped ship. How pathetic Ford went from the Fox body to the POS SN95 or whatever it was called.

I really think the movie Transformers has boosted the sales more than anything. Every car show I go to has some middle aged fruitcake with a 5th Gen and bumble bee crap. They even have night rider lights on that fake scoop thing. That right there would stop me from buying a 5th gen.

But lets look at the archaic push-rod crap motors;
505HP LS7 7.0L dry sump engine in the Z06 that gets just as good as gas mileage as the 5.0L if not better.
The LSx type motors are flat out awesome engines. From the 4.8 to the 7.0, the power that can be had is phenominal. As far as non VVT, were are you getting your information?? I have a 2009 6.2L L92 with VVT that is about to go in one of my 1992 Camaro's. Should wake that car up nicely even if I left it with the 403 stock hp.

Bottom line, if we didnt have all of these car manufacturers, we would not benefit from the competition between them all. Personally, I think the new Camaro Sucks A$$. Challenger is alot nicer, but the reason I am buying a 2013 Mustang is for the fact that it excites me again. I bought a 2003 Terminator new and it was awesome too, but it took a big blower to make it worth anything. Ford right now has an awesome combo, but I wouldnt dare say GM's powertrains are crap. To me, GM still holds the trophy for 1st place on powertrains(engines and transmissions)
Old 2/1/12, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1992chpb4c
Sorry but the 4.6 didnt count. 1994-2003 was disgusting for Ford.

In my opinion, the 300hp 4.6 L all-aluminum DOHC engine of the '96-'98 Cobras, the 320hp of the '99 (after the recall) and '01 Cobras, the 305(rated) hp of the '03-'04 Mach 1s, and the 390 (rated) hp of the '03-'04 Cobras were solid engines.
Old 2/1/12, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

You are saying get with the now. Yea, your right, the Coyote is a hell of a motor, but good god man, it took Ford forever to come up with an engine worth a crap. Sorry but the 4.6 didnt count. 1994-2003 was disgusting for Ford. I was a die-hard Fox body nut and have owned probably 20+ of them but when 1994 came around I jumped ship. How pathetic Ford went from the Fox body to the POS SN95 or whatever it was called.

I really think the movie Transformers has boosted the sales more than anything. Every car show I go to has some middle aged fruitcake with a 5th Gen and bumble bee crap. They even have night rider lights on that fake scoop thing. That right there would stop me from buying a 5th gen.

505HP LS7 7.0L dry sump engine in the Z06 that gets just as good as gas mileage as the 5.0L if not better.
The LSx type motors are flat out awesome engines. From the 4.8 to the 7.0, the power that can be had is phenominal. As far as non VVT, were are you getting your information?? I have a 2009 6.2L L92 with VVT that is about to go in one of my 1992 Camaro's. Should wake that car up nicely even if I left it with the 403 stock hp.

Bottom line, if we didnt have all of these car manufacturers, we would not benefit from the competition between them all. Personally, I think the new Camaro Sucks A$$. Challenger is alot nicer, but the reason I am buying a 2013 Mustang is for the fact that it excites me again. I bought a 2003 Terminator new and it was awesome too, but it took a big blower to make it worth anything. Ford right now has an awesome combo, but I wouldnt dare say GM's powertrains are crap. To me, GM still holds the trophy for 1st place on powertrains(engines and transmissions)
Well i didnt want come right out and say that the 4.6 was crap because i was trying to be mindful of the current 4.6 owners on the forum here. But yea i agree on that. Btw im new to the mustang world as of 2 years ago and the ONLY mustang im concerned with is the 2011 and up 5.0 V8 period.

But holy s**t, the 6.2 does have vvt! My bad. No offense man but that makes it that much more pathetic to me. You mean to tell me that a 6.2 V8 with VVT in stock form is putting down 350 whp while a 5.0 V8 with VVT is dropping 370 to its wheels!? Unbelievable! Regardless, a V8 is still a V8 in terms of big power. Your 92 Camaro is gonna haul a$$. Im just an efficiency kinda guy. Getting alot from a little. I only see GM doing that with the 4 bangers and V6s.
Old 2/1/12, 09:08 PM
GT Member

Very good points. I'm happy with my 4.6 3V but that has a lot to do with the Whipple and other stuff I've done. It's not the greatest engine in the world but I wouldn't call it crap, that's a little harsh. It is kinda crazy it took Ford until 2011 to make a Mustang GT faster than 1998 fbody's. I'll give Ford this, once they got their act together they knocked it out the park. Can't wait to see that monster Shelby put some serious numbers down this summer!
Old 2/1/12, 09:13 PM
GT Member

This video sums it up... (warning, strong language)

2011 Mustang GT vs Camaro SS - YouTube
Simply put Mustang GT's got their asses handed to them, even pre Terminator Cobra's had all they could handle with LS1 fbody's. Mustang still outsold them which is why I asked if that would make Mustang buyers back then idiots as well.

Loved the vid!
Old 2/1/12, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tbi0904
Simply put Mustang GT's got their asses handed to them, even pre Terminator Cobra's had all they could handle with LS1 fbody's. Mustang still outsold them which is why I asked if that would make Mustang buyers back then idiots as well.

Loved the vid!
That right there is the weirdest. When the Mustangs kind of sucked, they out sold Camaro. Now that Camaro's suck, they outsell mustang. Quick everyone, buy the Mustang before Ford makes them suck again.

Oh yea, another re-design for 2014/2015. I feel 1994 happening all over again......
Old 2/1/12, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That right there is the weirdest. When the Mustangs kind of sucked, they out sold Camaro. Now that Camaro's suck, they outsell mustang. Quick everyone, buy the Mustang before Ford makes them suck again.

Oh yea, another re-design for 2014/2015. I feel 1994 happening all over again......
When did the mustang suck?

Quick Reply: January 2012 Mustang Sales Figures