Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I'm going to be doing a oil catch can comparison test.

Old 7/8/14, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks Tuner Boost. Best explanation description I have heard.
I was wondering about the vapor being more harmful getting back in the oil? Water fuel etc.

I have posted a few times on My 2014 GT track pack. I have around 700 miles now. Mostly regular driving a and some Driving like I stole it but I still have no trace of Oil in the tube anywhere on the Passenger side?
Old 7/9/14, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tuner Boost
All good questions so far, keep them coming and try and be specific as far as technical questions on any of the detrimental effects of oil ingestion, both DI and non-DI, forced induction especially as this is where we see the most common misunderstandings, and most have implemented just breathers to release pressure and are allowing all the damaging combustion by-products to remain and accumulate in the crankcase contaminating the engine oil and greatly increasing wear and shortening engine life.

Tons of info available, just ask & I'll do my nest to answer and also can provide tons of SAE whitepapers, studies, scientific data, etc. if needed.

Cheers!

Hi Tuner Boost,

I’m wondering about forced induction & catch cans. For example, it’s been said that Roush/Whipple superchargers on boost have the ability to blow the oil out of the separator reservoir and back into the engine. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I’m curious because it’s a possibility. Do you know of any catch can test data or have personal experience to confirm or debunk this?

Thanks, John

Last edited by silverstate777; 7/9/14 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 7/9/14, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by silverstate777
Hi Tuner Boost,

I’m wondering about forced induction & catch cans. For example, it’s been said that Roush/Whipple superchargers on boost have the ability to blow the oil out of the separator reservoir and back into the engine. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I’m curious because it’s a possibility. Do you know of any catch can test data or have personal experience to confirm or debunk this?

Thanks, John
I had the same question plus I like to hear opinions on running a catch can plus venting it to atmosphere.
Old 7/9/14, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<<@!1!@>>>

Best way to look for signs are to remove the throttle body, and with a bright flashlight look deep into the intake manifold. The oil will pool/coat the bottom of the plenum. You can tape a clean rag onto a long extension and sop up a good amount of it:
Name:  DSCN0580_zps46313f67.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  3.55 MB

There are 2 points of ingestion. The main point is through the foul, or dirty side. This will be a direct line from the intake manifold vacuum barb to one of the valve covers...usually the passenger side on most Ford engines. This will account for 95% or so of the total ingestion and looking at the tube itself inside will be deceptive as the plastic tube remains hot from the vapors traveling through so very little oil will condense inside the tube, so it will appear clean even if a good amount of ingestion is happening. Inside the IM there is enough internal volume for the oil to fall from suspension out of the vapors so you will see it there.

<<<@!2!@>>>

Actually that can happen w/out a checkvalve inline to ensure flow never reverses, but most all PD blowers maintain good vacuum at all times. The issue is usually greater blow-by from the boost will result in more crankcase pressure to relieve, and that creates an issue. In the case of a PD blower (top mount) a dual valve evac system will use 2 evac vacuum sources, the primary one from the blower housing itself (same chamber/circuit the power brake booster feeds from) with inline checkvalve and a secondary source usually tapped into the coupler that attaches the TB to the air bridge/CAI tube. This last one will always have a good amount (6-9" plus) of suction to take over any time the primary source may fall off, or even briefly have pressure. So, primary source provides evac most of the time, but if the primary valve detects low vacuum or pressure, it closes and the secondary valve opens and continues to provide suction so the system maintains proper flow direction. Clean/fresh side air in, foul/dirty side oil and contaminant vapors out with the proper can separating all and trapping it so no oil/other gunk is ingested. For those using any of the small nice looking billet units, none of them trap more than app 30% of the oil, 70% plus on average is still pulled through them no matter the design. Test for yourself anyone in doubt. It can be assumed, and opinion debated all day long, but try my test procedure and see first hand. Most will not believe just how much gets past every one of them. I have tested every can I see on the market, and in controlled environment for accuracy. Don't take my word for it, try it yourself. The goal should always be to trap and eliminate all, or nearly all oil from ingestion....especially any forced induction application as the higher the compression ratio, the greater the incidence of detonation, and if your logging you see the KR taking place. 1-2* timing pulled is not alot, but still 5-8 rwhp. 5-6* 20 plus, and 8-10* can be 40-50 HP on a GT500 or similar.

Just lowering IAT2 temps will show 1% power gain for every 10*F temp drop:
Heat the ECU/PCM pulls timing to protect the engine, the higher the temps above app 115*F, and the same with oil ingestion caused detonation. Knock sensors will detect any knock before the human ear can and the ECU/PCM will pull timing that fast until knock is no longer present. But any time the timing is not at optimum advance, less power is produced, and efficiency as well.

Excellent questions! Keep them coming. The more knowledge available, the better for all. And I urge anyone that thinks a certain oil catchcan is effective, to do the simple tests and see for themselves.
Old 7/9/14, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuner Boost, thanks for the informative reply.

(I probably should look into a one way check valve)
Old 7/9/14, 03:30 PM

PM me and I can guide you.
Old 7/18/14, 12:03 PM

Bumping this back up for some fresh discussion. Anyone with questions on any type application join in.
Old 7/18/14, 01:03 PM

TunerBoost is all sales and the info is to shift your focus

Read this about RX Tracy Lewis - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...lewis&safe=off

It's out of control all the lies and BS he peddles just to indirectly get sales from uneducated unsuspecting enthusiasts and businesses.

typesredline you too must know about Tracy from RX and the snake oil and all the people he's pissed off or screwed. This link is only a fraction of how bad this guy operates. He has been kicked off so camaro5 and many other forums.

Then he proceeds to say it wasn't me or you don't know the story. I have been watching him on many forums with the same exact pictures and links and comparisons. Excessive confusing data and telling everyone to grab their families and hide their cans cause RX is in town !

LOL his can is a direct and poorly copied Saikou Michi catch can. This guy claims to be the best and smartest and help everyone. Hmmm? He has become a troll and ever stoops to making fake profiles to defend or come on and say hay I bought an RX can and they work great.

I know this is a lot to take in but our community must be warned about RX and Tracy Lewis.

AKA Mr. Snake Oil, he can't build his product with repeatable quality and uses home depot parts half the time cuts and glues together his clean side separator on the F150 boards and they fell apart on the customers.

Be aware he sells his can for $50 more than the Originator Saikou Michi !

Without the quality or backing .

Originally Posted by typesredline
Good question. But keep in mind that Tuner Boost is trying to sell his product. Sales 101, talk about a bunch of technical stuff to gain expert status and build rapport. Then confuse people with numbers until they believe your product is best.

Unless you know how much is going through in its entirety, it would be impossible to assign a percentage to what cans are capturing. To say that bobs catches 3oz in 5k for example is only 20% would mean that 15oz is actually passing through. Not only would that total amount be again near impossible to quantify, but I seriously doubt we are loosing 1/2 a qt. through the PCV from vapors.

So where the RX might do a good job, the sales pitch and "figures" are completely bogus IMO.
Just a heads up.

Last edited by TunerBull; 7/18/14 at 01:04 PM.
Old 7/18/14, 01:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Old 7/18/14, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
This is getting interesting.. I love the forums you learn so so much!!!

Old 7/18/14, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Installed

Won't let me add multi pics, will post a couple times. Looks excellent tho

I'm going to be doing a oil catch can comparison test.-image.jpg
Old 7/18/14, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Old 7/18/14, 02:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Old 7/18/14, 03:08 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
interesting. I'm so confused now. So summary:

TunerBoost is selling RX oil separators?

TunerBoost is a troll, fake, selling one off products that are cobbled up from Home Depot?

What's going on here?

Either way, I'm staying with my Bob's... love it...
Old 7/18/14, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
interesting. I'm so confused now. So summary:

TunerBoost is selling RX oil separators?

TunerBoost is a troll, fake, selling one off products that are cobbled up from Home Depot?

What's going on here?

Either way, I'm staying with my Bob's... love it...
Selling rx. Myself and one other are running testing comparing against bobs (Wayne's test) and JLT (my testing)
Old 7/18/14, 04:53 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really can't believe you guys. Threads and pages, on and on, 1/2" or 3/8" fittings, this hose, that hose, mine looks better than Joe's, etc., etc., etc. Gettin all **** about jibberish. Weeks and months now. Still no specifics of matching internal flow rates of an oil sep to the specific CFM of your 5.0. Do you have enough flow to evacuate the crankcase? Or are you over drafting the crankcase? Which brand does what? You don't know. You are ALL GUESSING. No wonder you get puddling. Geez.
Old 7/18/14, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I really can't believe you guys. Threads and pages, on and on, 1/2" or 3/8" fittings, this hose, that hose, mine looks better than Joe's, etc., etc., etc. Gettin all **** about jibberish. Weeks and months now. Still no specifics of matching internal flow rates of an oil sep to the specific CFM of your 5.0. Do you have enough flow to evacuate the crankcase? Or are you over drafting the crankcase? Which brand does what? You don't know. You are ALL GUESSING. No wonder you get puddling. Geez.
Old 7/18/14, 05:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
? Literally recieved my parts today. Not sure what data is expected immediately?
Old 7/18/14, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Installed

Won't let me add multi pics, will post a couple times. Looks excellent tho

Attachment 162183

I see that you got a RX can with the duel outlet ports. It looks like you have both of the outlet ports in use. Do you have the middle port hooked up? I can't tell from the pictures. My RX can only has the intake port and the outlet port.

As far as the Tuner Boost bashing, He said that they would eventually appear and it looks like it has happened. All I can say is that all of my dealings with him so far have been professional. I don't have any personal knowledge of all of the negative stuff that is being said in the link provided above.

I'm just trying to determine who makes a good can that lets the least amount of oil and junk into the intake manifold.

As far as cdynaco's post, I invite you to educate us with your superior knowledge instead of sounding like an *******.

Wayne
Old 7/18/14, 07:13 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
I
As far as cdynaco's post, I invite you to educate us with your superior knowledge instead of sounding like an *******.

Wayne
Really? Dimwit. I just did. Not the first time I've brought it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm going to be doing a oil catch can comparison test.