Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I'm going to be doing a oil catch can comparison test.

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/14, 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to be doing a oil catch can comparison test.

I have been following and participating in an oil catch can comparison thread here: http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-upr...s-test-254381/

I had mentioned on there that I was running a Bob's catch can on my 14 GT with the 5.0. Eco Tuner, the guy from RX catch cans wanted to know if I wanted to do a test like the one done on the f150 forum using my Bob's can. I said I would. He sent me a RX can setup to do the test. I installed it today and ran all of the lines.

This test consists of the two cans in line with each other with my Bob's can being first in line and the RX plumbed in behind it. The way the lines are run is this. From the PCV valve to the inlet of the Bob's can. The outlet of the Bob's can to the inlet of the RX can and then from the outlet of the RX can to the intake of the engine. I will reverse the cans and put the RX first in line with the Bob's can second after I run the initial test. Eco Tuner claims the RX can is between 95-98% effective from keeping oil out of the intake.

Eco Tuner claims that his can will capture as much or more than any can placed in line in front of the RX can. Basically he claims that almost all of the cans out there still let a significant amount of oil through to the intake and that placing another can after the first one will show what gets through. The test done on the f150 forum with the UPR vs the RX can seem to show this to be true in that case anyway.

I started out with a cleaned out Bob's can and all new lines except for the short line from the PCV valve to the inlet side of the Bob's can which I cleaned out using a shop towel. The RX can was new and is a sealed unit that does not come apart but has the same type of drain valve that the Bob's can uses.

The RX can uses 3/8" line vs the 5/8" that the Bob's can uses. To hook these up I had to use two 1/2" to 3/8" reducers. I used short pieces of 1/2" hose to hook on the output barb of the bob's can as well as on the quick connect that goes into the intake manifold barb.

The Bob's can is mounted to the passenger side strut tower and I ended up removing the sound tube and mounting the RX can between the master cylinder and the fender.

I forgot to take pictures of the cans side by side but the RX can is significantly bigger than the Bob's can. Supposedly the RX can holds 16 ounces.

Eco Tuner wants me to run each phase of the test for 2,000 miles so it might take me awhile since this car is not my daily driver. The car had 7,138 miles on it when I started this test. I'm interested to see how this test turns out.

Here are a few pictures of the RX can mounted and the two cans hooked up together.

Name:  002_zps2544b8ce.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  116.9 KB
Name:  001_zps040dd997.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  118.8 KB
Name:  003_zpsdc830921.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  121.1 KB

Wayne
Old 7/4/14, 06:06 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Wayne... That's a big loop. Lol . I'm curious as to the results of this. I've never even heard of RX for a brand. So they're made by Eco tuner?

But anyways... The theory is that, depending on who is inline first/second, if the second can catches oil, then that means the first can isn't as effective, right? And I'm guessing RX is banking on the fact that if they are first inline then Bobs will NOT catch anything hardly at all?
Old 7/4/14, 06:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Wayne... That's a big loop. Lol . I'm curious as to the results of this. I've never even heard of RX for a brand. So they're made by Eco tuner? But anyways... The theory is that, depending on who is inline first/second, if the second can catches oil, then that means the first can isn't as effective, right? And I'm guessing RX is banking on the fact that if they are first inline then Bobs will NOT catch anything hardly at all?
Correct. They think that in the current order, the rx will still have a ton of oil. But in reverse, the bobs will have none.
Old 7/4/14, 07:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Looks like a good test and I will be very interested to see results. Thanks for posting

To offer a different twist, I would love to participate as well but in a track environment... If your contact has any interest in run in the same test on a road course let me know. I should have a 2 day event coming up in august where I would be interested in running one setup day 1 and the reverse day 2... Not trying to take your experiment over just offering a different twist since he engines work very differently during a road course event!
Old 7/4/14, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Wayne... That's a big loop. Lol . I'm curious as to the results of this. I've never even heard of RX for a brand. So they're made by Eco tuner?

But anyways... The theory is that, depending on who is inline first/second, if the second can catches oil, then that means the first can isn't as effective, right? And I'm guessing RX is banking on the fact that if they are first inline then Bobs will NOT catch anything hardly at all?

It is a big loop indeed. Mounting the RX can in that location was the only really easy place to put it. They also say, the cooler you keep the can, the better it works.

Rx cans are big with the GM crowd. Used on the trucks, Camaro, and Corvette mostly. I had heard of them in the past but didn't really pay much attention since I didn't have anything at the time to put it on.

You are right in your theory. RX has supposedly bought most of the cans out on the market and tested them against their own at some point or other and that is why they make their claim.

Eco Tuner is his forum name on the f150 forum.

Wayne

Last edited by 70monte; 7/4/14 at 08:12 AM.
Old 7/4/14, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Looks like a good test and I will be very interested to see results. Thanks for posting

To offer a different twist, I would love to participate as well but in a track environment... If your contact has any interest in run in the same test on a road course let me know. I should have a 2 day event coming up in august where I would be interested in running one setup day 1 and the reverse day 2... Not trying to take your experiment over just offering a different twist since he engines work very differently during a road course event!

I would like to see that test as well. Go over to the link I provided to the f150 forum and PM Eco Tuner and see what he says. What brand of can are you running now?

Just to be clear, RX doesn't claim to be 100% effective but the best out there at this price point. In the UPR vs RX link I provided above, the UPR can in line after the RX can did catch a small amount of oil so that showed that some did get through.

Wayne
Old 7/4/14, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Old 7/4/14, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Everyone should just keep in mind that it a loop like that, the second will always capture oil because of the pressure. Regardless of the efficiency of the first one.

This is why the second half of the test where he swaps the order will be so important.

Monte, make sure you keep precise measurements of what comes out of the bobs while second in the loop and the RX while second in the loop. My bet is that bobs has more than the RX while second.
Old 7/4/14, 09:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I will be watching this. There are allot of really good cans out there but I noticed that it looks like each car has a different following..
Old 7/4/14, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I will be keeping measurements of what comes out of both cans. I'm not an expert on catch cans or how a test like this effects each can.

This test has longer hose runs than the test that I linked above and I'm pretty sure both Eco Tuner and Joe from UPR both said that longer runs of hose will make a difference in the results. Since both cans will be staying where they are at for the entire test with only switching the positions of the hoses in the second test, the test should still be valid.

Wayne
Old 7/4/14, 01:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
I would like to see that test as well. Go over to the link I provided to the f150 forum and PM Eco Tuner and see what he says. What brand of can are you running now?

Just to be clear, RX doesn't claim to be 100% effective but the best out there at this price point. In the UPR vs RX link I provided above, the UPR can in line after the RX can did catch a small amount of oil so that showed that some did get through.

Wayne
Thanks for the input - I sent a PM to Eco Tuner over on the other forums, we'll see if he's interested. I have a JLT separator right now and at my last outing I collected probably 1.5-2 tablespoons of oil over ~100 track miles. Certainly curious how much is getting past the JLT separator...
Old 7/4/14, 02:12 PM
I Have No Life

Thanks for the input - I sent a PM to Eco Tuner over on the other forums, we'll see if he's interested. I have a JLT separator right now and at my last outing I collected probably 1.5-2 tablespoons of oil over ~100 track miles. Certainly curious how much is getting past the JLT separator...
From what I hear/read, the jlt is the least effective, and the bobs is the most effective. I'm curious to see how the RX performs.
Old 7/4/14, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I told him in a PM that you would like to do a test using track conditions and that you would get a hold of him or he could get a hold of you if he was interested in seeing the test done. He responded with this. "I would as well, we supply a lot of the SCCA and NASA racers with systems."

I hope he can set you up for a test because I would like to see the results but as others have stated, the JLT cans are known for being one of the least effective ones on the market.

Wayne
Old 7/4/14, 03:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I told him in a PM that you would like to do a test using track conditions and that you would get a hold of him or he could get a hold of you if he was interested in seeing the test done. He responded with this. "I would as well, we supply a lot of the SCCA and NASA racers with systems."

I hope he can set you up for a test because I would like to see the results but as others have stated, the JLT cans are known for being one of the least effective ones on the market.

Wayne
Great, I'll see if he PM's me back. I have heard the same for JLT, and given how much I collect at a track day, I'm very interested to see what I might be missing... thanks for messaging him as well, more data is better!
Old 7/4/14, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great, I'll see if he PM's me back. I have heard the same for JLT, and given how much I collect at a track day, I'm very interested to see what I might be missing... thanks for messaging him as well, more data is better!

It won't tell you how much is getting through, but you can pull off your hose at the intake and see how wet it is inside to see if it looks like a lot may be getting through. Do you have the new improved JLT can?

Wayne
Old 7/4/14, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not see a new can in their website. Just a new type of filter. It seemed to be only for specific kits too. Not the popular passenger side catch can.

Am I missing something? I'm ready to buy one and was looking at a Bob's. but I like the fast on connectors on the JLT.
Old 7/4/14, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pminri
I did not see a new can in their website. Just a new type of filter. It seemed to be only for specific kits too. Not the popular passenger side catch can.

Am I missing something? I'm ready to buy one and was looking at a Bob's. but I like the fast on connectors on the JLT.

I think the improved can has the new type of filter. I don't think they redesigned the current can. I think if you google search "improved JLT catch can" it will pull up what the improvement is.

I don't know how well the new filter JLT does, but the older versions supposedly don't catch very much oil and still let a lot of oil through to the intake. I would pick the Bob's can over the JLT any day. You can buy new Ford quick connects for about $10 each or reuse the ones that came on your PVC line.

Wayne
Old 7/4/14, 11:58 PM
I Have No Life

I think the improved can has the new type of filter. I don't think they redesigned the current can. I think if you google search "improved JLT catch can" it will pull up what the improvement is. I don't know how well the new filter JLT does, but the older versions supposedly don't catch very much oil and still let a lot of oil through to the intake. I would pick the Bob's can over the JLT any day. You can buy new Ford quick connects for about $10 each or reuse the ones that came on your PVC line. Wayne
Yes... That's what I did too. Bought new connectors from local dealer.
Old 7/5/14, 05:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, for the info. Ordering today.
Old 7/5/14, 07:27 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by pminri
Thanks guys, for the info. Ordering today.
Which?

Quick Reply: I'm going to be doing a oil catch can comparison test.