Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to: disable Advancetrac, traction control, and ABS(for track day only!)

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/12, 07:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to: disable Advancetrac, traction control, and ABS(for track day only!)

Have you ever went to go do some hardcore drifting, only to make an *** out of yourself because you forgot to turn off advancetrac? Well now, that will be a thing of the past with this quick and easy 'fix!'

::ISCLAIMER::: don't come crying to me when you break your car, have a blowout, slide into a guardrail, or whatever. This how to does not have any pictures, if you need pictures to do this mod, then you probably shouldn't be doing something like this in the first place.

now for the How to: with the engine running, cut the wheel all the way hard left and turn the car off and remove key. Reach into the wheelwell, and find the speed sensor cable(there's only one wire, and one hose, easy!). Then, follow it back to where it goes behind the fender liner. just on the other side of the fender liner, there's a plug/connector. Undo it, and then secure the loose end of the speed sensor wire.

That's it, you're done! Hoon away, preferably in a responsible manner. When you're done drifting, just plug it back in and you're done!

Also note, this is how Vaughn Gittin prepares a 'stock' mustang to drift. Note that his 'race car' is carb-ed, and as such, lacks computer control.
Attached Images  
Old 8/4/12, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Advance track and Stability control an be turned off by holding the button for 11 seconds.. but abs.. no , good trick..
Old 8/4/12, 07:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
Advance track and Stability control an be turned off by holding the button for 11 seconds.. but abs.. no , good trick..
this is true, but it has to be done each and every time you start the car. I dont know about you, but I dont leave my car idling in between runs, and in the excitement of getting back onto the track again, odds are pretty good I'll forget at least once, possibly more.

Also, pulling the sensor throws all kinds of warning lights on the dash.
Old 8/4/12, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So....why not wire in a switch to make it even easier.
Old 8/4/12, 08:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
So....why not wire in a switch to make it even easier.
not a bad idea actually, but inside the wheel well wouldnt be a good place to put one. Maybe if I get some free time I'll trace the wire back a bit, but it wont be tonight
Old 8/4/12, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

It could be routed inside the car with a relay in line to eliminate any excessive resistance caused by extending the wires for switching. Of course, one would not use the switch on the street.......
Old 8/5/12, 08:07 AM
V6 Member

It could be routed inside the car with a relay in line to eliminate any excessive resistance caused by extending the wires for switching. Of course, one would not use the switch on the street.......
that is a thought, but I have my reservations about installing a switch or relay, interfering with the sensor's signal output
Old 8/5/12, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

A relay installed with no extra wiring added to the factory harness should not effect things. The wiring to activate the relay from the switch would not be involved in the system.
Old 8/5/12, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Depress brake pedal and hold tcs button for 5 seconds it disables advancetrac and stability control ur on ur own
Old 8/5/12, 11:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
Depress brake pedal and hold tcs button for 5 seconds it disables advancetrac and stability control ur on ur own
see post #3
Old 8/5/12, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cinque35
see post #3
i saw that but i think shaneGT is wrong, not 11 seconds, only 5 but with brake pedal depressed :P
Old 8/5/12, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
But does that disable ABS also?
Old 8/5/12, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

nevermind.

Last edited by theACE; 8/5/12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 5/15/14, 07:29 AM

Finally a solution

I have been fighting this for a year, even tried fuse #34 removal. With the NOS its a fun ride.
Old 5/15/14, 10:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Not sure why anyone would want to disable the ABS for a track day - it helps enormously when all the stability/traction control systems are disabled. I've disabled ABS on 2 cars for different reasons and I greatly prefer having ABS.

Better option for track days - upgrade to the Boss 302S (or maybe R?) ABS module.
Old 5/15/14, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Agree with dmichaels. You WANT ABS for rack days.

Besides, disconnecting 1 wheel speed sensor will still leave you with Electronic Brake force Distribution.
So if you're just roasting rubber or want to slide around on a rainy day there is an easier way to disable ABS, Traction Control and Stabilitrack.

1) Open the hood (with ignition off)
2) open the fuse box
3) Pull the power fuse for stability control (pin 34 5Amp on 11-14).

Then when you're done switch the engine off and put the fuse back in. Done

EDIT:
I have been fighting this for a year, even tried fuse #34 removal. With the NOS its a fun ride.
Wait, so removing the fuse still didn't work for you? That doesn't make sense since the Stability Control ECU which runs Stabilitrack also runs ABS, TCS and EBD. It's the same ECU reading the Wheel Speed Sensor OP tells us to disconnect. And the other sensors from the other 3 wheels too. The 5amp fuse should also run the ABS/TCS/ESP motor, so either way all these systems should be off when you pull fuse 34.

Or am I misunderstanding you? I'm confused.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 5/15/14 at 02:01 PM.
Old 5/15/14, 02:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Removing the fuse is how I disabled everything on my wife's car.

Put in a differently coded ECU in my Audi which disabled abs. That was a fun one cause I didn't know it disabled it, and I installed at the same time at which I installed a Stoptech BBK and then went to bed the brakes on the highway. The rears, which were track pads and bedded, locked up immediately as the fronts were not bedded yet. That was a weird and life affirming experience at 75mph on the highway....

I like abs
Old 5/15/14, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Removing the fuse is how I disabled everything on my wife's car.

Put in a differently coded ECU in my Audi which disabled abs. That was a fun one cause I didn't know it disabled it, and I installed at the same time at which I installed a Stoptech BBK and then went to bed the brakes on the highway. The rears, which were track pads and bedded, locked up immediately as the fronts were not bedded yet. That was a weird and life affirming experience at 75mph on the highway....

I like abs
I work for a company which design/manufactures/builds/tests electronic braking systems. I can relate.

I've had to run some interesting tests over the years. For example failed front brake circuit, so you only get brake force from the rear. Or a dual failure leading to brake torque being applied on the left side of the car only. There are many more. I had to pass a test once where the instructor has a button in his palm which instantly locks up the rear axle. The test was a decreasing radius turn with cones 4ft from the car. Goal was not to hit any cones when he hits the switch. My company paid for me to be trained in vehicle dynamics and limit handling. So I don't die when I have to run tests like this.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 5/15/14 at 03:03 PM.
Old 6/21/15, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by whoah
Have you ever went to go do some hardcore drifting, only to make an *** out of yourself because you forgot to turn off advancetrac? Well now, that will be a thing of the past with this quick and easy 'fix!'

::ISCLAIMER::: don't come crying to me when you break your car, have a blowout, slide into a guardrail, or whatever. This how to does not have any pictures, if you need pictures to do this mod, then you probably shouldn't be doing something like this in the first place.

now for the How to: with the engine running, cut the wheel all the way hard left and turn the car off and remove key. Reach into the wheelwell, and find the speed sensor cable(there's only one wire, and one hose, easy!). Then, follow it back to where it goes behind the fender liner. just on the other side of the fender liner, there's a plug/connector. Undo it, and then secure the loose end of the speed sensor wire.

That's it, you're done! Hoon away, preferably in a responsible manner. When you're done drifting, just plug it back in and you're done!

Also note, this is how Vaughn Gittin prepares a 'stock' mustang to drift. Note that his 'race car' is carb-ed, and as such, lacks computer control.

Do you do this in both front fender wells or just one?
Old 6/10/21, 09:45 PM

what size relay would you use? And I know this post was years ago. Hopefully this will find someone. But do you think this method would work on the 2015 economost models? Seems 9 years later and they still have the same system.I just haven’t been down there to see it’s wired the same yet

Quick Reply: How to: disable Advancetrac, traction control, and ABS(for track day only!)