Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Here are my catch can test results for the first phase.

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/14, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here are my catch can test results for the first phase.

To refresh everyone's memory, I'm testing my Bob's Auto sports catch can against the RX catch can. The Bob's can was first in line and here is how it was routed. PCV valve to inlet port on Bob's can. Outlet port of Bob's can to inlet port on RX can. Outlet port on RX can to intake manifold.

The Bob's can is mounted on the passenger side strut tower and the RX can is mounted between the master cylinder and the driver's side fender.

I drove 1,085 miles during this test. I drove a lot of highway with some in town driving. Most of my speeds were at 60-80 mph with some at 90 mph and in the last few days, quite a bit of getting on the car pretty hard to pass people as I went on a couple of longer trips.

I drained a little under 3/4oz or right at 4 TSP out of the Bob's can.

Nothing drained out of the RX can. I thought maybe the drain valve was clogged so I unbolted the RX can and looked up into the drain valve with a flash light and there was no obstructions. There was a little bit of oil on the drain valve inner threads but that was all. I left the valve open for about 15 minutes when it was still mounted while I drained the Bob's can.

I pulled the rubber line off the intake port of the RX can, the outlet port of the RX can, and removed the quick connect from the intake manifold. There was an oil film at all of these locations but it was minimal. I used three new Q-tips and wiped out the hoses and disconnect to see how much would show. I will post a picture of the Q-tips but it's hard to see anything since it was just trace amounts of oil showing.

My car doesn't seem to use much oil as the level on the dipstick has only gone down a small amount. I have about 3,600 miles on this oil change and 8,223 miles on the car.

I switched up the lines and now have the RX first in line and the Bob's can second. I will drive approximately the same amount of miles and report back.

It appears from my test that the Bob's can did an excellent job. I was expecting some oil to come out of the RX can. I did not expect to get nothing.

Here are a few pictures I took of the oil amount out of the Bob's can and the Q-tips. I tried taking some pictures of the inside of the hoses I disconnected to try and show the oil film but they didn't turn out.
Name:  010_zpse03dd2db.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  65.7 KB
Name:  009_zps91ec55d8.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  66.5 KB
Name:  011_zps6cf9479c.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  89.3 KB
Old 8/6/14, 05:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Interesting. Looks like the bobs did a great job for you... Interested to see how the reverse setup fairs
Old 8/6/14, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
It is interesting. And the bobs would have also been in a hotter location which negatively affects the capture if I remember correctly.
Old 8/6/14, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will be interested to see what happens on this second phase. This was not the results that I expected. I thought I would see some oil come out of the RX can. I guess I thought that since I could see oil film at the intake manifold connector with the Bob's can, that enough oil was getting past to show up in a second can. I guess I was wrong. The Bob's can did not have the pooling of oil in the intake manifold quick connect hose like what I had with the UPR can so I knew if was doing a better job there.

It looks like about the same amount of oil film as before so that part is consistant.

Wayne
Old 8/6/14, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
It is interesting. And the bobs would have also been in a hotter location which negatively affects the capture if I remember correctly.

Yes, the Bob's can was in a much hotter location than the RX can. After driving the car, you could not keep your hand on the Bob's can because it was so hot. The RX can was hot but you could keep your hand on it and not get burned. The Bob's can basically sits over the headers so it's a very hot location.

I have been told by Tracy from RX as well as by Joe from UPR that the cooler you can keep the can, the better it works.

At least I feel good that I have been running the Bob's can for at least the last 5,000 miles out of the little over 8,000 miles on the car now.

Wayne
Old 8/7/14, 05:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Good info!
Old 8/7/14, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just out of curiousity, I unscrewed the bottom off of my Bob's can and reached up inside the top portion to see if any oil would come off on my fingers and it was dry so that was good.

Wayne
Old 8/8/14, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This motor has very little ingestion and rings I suspect are sealed as good as possible.

Excellent results, and with his engine the Bob's is doing an absolutely great job.

The engine we did the test on was ingesting many times the amount and caught just over 5 oz's with the RX behind it catching just under 7 oz's.....but this shows until the Bob's reaches capacity ( I think around 4-5 oz's) it works very effectively.

With this case, Wayne would gain nothing swapping to the RX. Next stage of test will be interesting to see.

Good work!

Last edited by Tuner Boost; 8/8/14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 8/8/14, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

In some testing I have done on the Bob's can, it will only hold about 3 oz before the level gets to the bottom of the inlet port and that is with no SS mesh installed. It will probably hold less with the SS mesh installed.

Wayne
Old 8/8/14, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tuner Boost
This motor has very little ingestion and rings I suspect are sealed as good as possible.

Excellent results, and with his engine the Bob's is doing an absolutely great job.

The engine we did the test on was ingesting many times the amount and caught just over 5 oz's with the RX behind it catching just under 7 oz's.....but this shows until the Bob's reaches capacity ( I think around 4-5 oz's) it works very effectively.

With this case, Wayne would gain nothing swapping to the RX. Next stage of test will be interesting to see.

Good work!
hmm... never mind. Ignore this post

It will be interested for sure to see how well they hold up against each other!

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 8/8/14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 8/8/14, 11:57 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
No oil got by the Bob's, can't get any better than that. I'll be going from my JLT to a Bob's this Christmas
Old 9/20/14, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

The second phase test results are in. I went 1,083 miles on this run vs the 1,086 miles on the first phase. Pretty much the same type of driving other than I probably drove the car a little harder this time.

The RX can was first in line with the Bob's second. The RX can caught slightly over 3/4oz which was slightly more than the Bob's can caught. The Bob's can caught a little under 1/4oz of oil.

I also pulled the line off at the intake manifold, the output line of the RX can and the inlet line of the Bob's can. There was some oil residue at all of these points but the line at the intake manifold seemed to have the least. The line going into the Bob's can seemed to have the most for some reason. I used clean Q-tips to wipe the inside of the lines. The pics of the Q-tips don't seemed to have come out very good but the first Q-tip on the left is from the intake manifold line, the middle one from the RX output line and the last one from the Bob's intake line.

In my test, it seems like the Bob's can did a little better at keeping oil going to the intake but the RX can caught slightly more. Either can would do a very good job at what it's designed for. Here are the pictures.
Name:  001_zps3c364421.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  69.7 KB
Name:  002_zps2bfe8d1a.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  67.2 KB
Name:  003_zpsfaa61235.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  74.1 KB
Name:  005_zpsb423a9dd.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  69.8 KB
Name:  008_zpsf3b6f216.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  99.1 KB
Old 9/20/14, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I want to run 2
Old 9/21/14, 04:45 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Thanks for doing this test Wayne.
Old 9/21/14, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
Thanks for doing this test Wayne.

You are welcome. This catch can thing is pretty interesting to me. I didn't expect the Bob's can to do as well as it did. I wish I had the time and money to do some more comparison tests just to see how some other not so well known brands stack up. I'm also curious on how the newly designed UPR can that UPR just came out with will stack up. Hopefully someone will do a comparison test of one.

Wayne
Old 9/22/14, 01:46 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ thanks for the info Wayne! I feel good knowing that my Bob's can is happily protecting my engine
Old 9/22/14, 05:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Thanks for your testing and reporting - interesting that maybe 10-15% of the oil vapor got past the RX in your setup. I'm still utterly shocked that I had over 4 ounces caught over the course of 2 track days earlier this month - almost 5x what you caught over ~1000 miles!

Wayne - what kind of oil were you running during your testing? What weight as well?
Old 9/23/14, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Thanks for your testing and reporting - interesting that maybe 10-15% of the oil vapor got past the RX in your setup. I'm still utterly shocked that I had over 4 ounces caught over the course of 2 track days earlier this month - almost 5x what you caught over ~1000 miles!

Wayne - what kind of oil were you running during your testing? What weight as well?
You are welcome. I enjoyed doing the test. I'm running 5W-20 Motorcraft oil. This is the first oil change past the original fill which I changed at around 4,600 miles back in March. What brand and weight are you running?

It is interesting to see the differences we got in the different type of testing we did. I kind of expected yours to catch more oil due to the fact that you were running your car a lot harder than I have been doing.

I was also surprised that I had that much oil get past the RX can even though it wasn't that much. I wonder is the fact that we are running slightly different versions of the RX can had anything to do with it. Internally I don't know if there is much difference other than you have two exit ports to my one. It also might be the fact that it has been hotter outside since I've been doing the RX in front portion of the test and the oil could have thinned out more than during the first part of my test.

I'm looking forward to your RX vs the Moroso test.

Wayne
Old 9/26/14, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just wanted to add some information that I received on the capacity of the Bob's can. I had stated somewhere that I thought that the Bob's can only held about 3oz up to the bottom of the inlet barb but I corresponded with Steve from Bob's and he told me that the capacity up to that point is about 7oz. I'm glad it's more than what I thought.

Wayne