Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GT manual Shifter issues

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/14, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
GT manual Shifter issues

Ok everyone. I have read countess threads and coments on the issues with Noisy,Cluncking, notching etc shifting in these cars. The answer seems to be allot of things. Shifter, Bracket trans mount.

Since I'm an engineer no of those answer make any sense. I have had allot of manuals in my day and none of them with these issues?

I was going to buy a SRT challenger and they do not have the issues. I know it is a different and better transmission.

So what is really causing the issue? I would like to fix it but the shifter is not the issue. is it the shifting rods? The transmission it self what?

Mine after about 30 minutes of driving shifts fantastic.
Old 7/22/14, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess im lucky, I have a 13 GT and stock shifter. Has the 401a shift ball.
I have no problems that people complain about. I have 5k miles on it. No crunching, nothing. I guess the only issue I have seen is once in a while when accelerating hard, its a pain to hit 3rd, but that's only happened a few times.
Old 7/22/14, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am also an engineer. While I agree with you to some extent. There is solid merit to some of these solutions.... The shifter bracket is defiantly an issue. have you looked at it? Its a big piece of rubber with a thin metal band around it. How do you expect that to keep your shifter from torquing around under hard acceleration/shifting? Also, if its not pulling in a straight line on the linkages becasue its shifting around I could see how that could cause some notchiness. The noise/clucking,crunching I would agree has to be something else. Something with the bearings? Linkages? Cruddy syncros?
Old 7/22/14, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think what you are saying is agreed upon by most folks. The shifters and brackets aren't really to make it smoother. In my opinion, they are to prevent getting locked out of a gear when driving in a spirited manner. The shifter assemblies that are sold will give you a shorter shift and more positive feel when engaged. The notchiness issue might be helped in your case with a fluid change. Some here have had good luck with that.

Last edited by Mr. V; 7/22/14 at 12:01 PM.
Old 7/22/14, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should see if you can speak with Pufferfish on bossmustangsonline, he currently has a shifter fix he is working on as well as a trans apart. He has spoken to me about why the trans is so notchy and what not but I cannot remember the exact reason.
Old 7/22/14, 01:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilcaninex
I guess im lucky, I have a 13 GT and stock shifter. Has the 401a shift ball.
I have no problems that people complain about. I have 5k miles on it. No crunching, nothing. I guess the only issue I have seen is once in a while when accelerating hard, its a pain to hit 3rd, but that's only happened a few times.
I also have had no issues with the shift action of my stock shifter or MT82 trans, mine has about 5500 miles on it and I've had it for about 14 months.
Old 7/22/14, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok so I just replaced the stock bracket with the Barton double post this evening. MY GOD what a difference it made.... Went trearing through some winding roads afterwords and....Not ONE missed shift. Not one crunch or grind. Just solid clicks and gear changes. It was like a brand new transmission. It did add some noise though

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 7/22/14 at 09:18 PM.
Old 7/22/14, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Ok so I just replaced the stock bracket with the Barton double post this evening. MY GOD what a difference it made.... Went trearing through some winding roads afterwords and....Not ONE missed shift. Not one crunch or grind. Just solid clicks and gear changes. It was like a brand new transmission. It did add some noise though

What do you mean by noise? NVH or audible noise?

I am trying to find out a way to help the shifting crunch if you will with out adding NVH or Noise?
Old 7/22/14, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I mean the NVH is audible if thats what your asking. If you mean can you hear it more, yes defiantly. It completely cured the shifting crunch and missing shifts though. To me its not that bothersome. The added noise is a small price to pay for how much it cleans up the shifting.
Old 7/22/14, 11:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
I mean the NVH is audible if thats what your asking. If you mean can you hear it more, yes defiantly. It completely cured the shifting crunch and missing shifts though. To me its not that bothersome. The added noise is a small price to pay for how much it cleans up the shifting.
It "sounds" like you're running too much muffler!
Old 7/23/14, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
It "sounds" like you're running too much muffler!
Ha! Touche...I am just running axle backs at the moment.
Old 7/23/14, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
What do you mean by noise? NVH or audible noise? I am trying to find out a way to help the shifting crunch if you will with out adding NVH or Noise?
Another vote for bracket fixing issues. I feel that the steeda red did the same as he is describing. So if you don't want any added noise, that's the way to go.
Old 7/23/14, 06:56 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
NVH is expected when you remove a rubber mount and replace it with a steel bracket.

Getting a little NVH in the cabin is fine with me, plus most of us couldn't hear it over the open Boss side exhaust or Borla Attack axle backs.

I miss the gear whine that my terminator had, it's all the sounds of a muscle car. I don't expect my Mustang to be as quite as a Caddie or Lincoln.
Old 7/23/14, 07:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tbone004
NVH is expected when you remove a rubber mount and replace it with a steel bracket.

Getting a little NVH in the cabin is fine with me, plus most of us couldn't hear it over the open Boss side exhaust or Borla Attack axle backs.

I miss the gear whine that my terminator had, it's all the sounds of a muscle car. I don't expect my Mustang to be as quite as a Caddie or Lincoln.
Replace the UCA with a poly or spherical piece, the gear whine will be there.
Old 7/23/14, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

I have read everything about the shifter issue. I understand some of the fixes hear and agree with them. I am still not understanding what the real cause is?

If you look at the bracket the connects the shifter assy to the transmission there is not allot o movement it can have unless the trans bushing is loose rubber? Holding up the back of the shifter housing with a poly mount will help but I am not convinced and by reading most post that is not the Clunky shifting issue?

The feeling that everyone describes and what I have experienced, feels like the shifting rod or something in the transmission is binding.

I would of thought that with all the people and some of which are from Ford would have an answer.

For now looks like I am ordering the bracket.
Old 7/23/14, 05:08 PM
V6 Member

As I understand, the reason for the shifting problems with the MT82 trans is due to the remote mounted shifter design. It's just not as solid or as precise as a T56 or other direct mounted shifter designs. To much flex between trans, shifter and shift rods. Thats why a bracket the ties all 3 parts together may be the best solution. Im guessing thats what the Blowfish piece is......just my thoughts. This bushing is what Im trying next.
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=617

Last edited by Way2QWK; 7/23/14 at 05:10 PM.
Old 7/23/14, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Just speculation. But on the 2015, it uses the same MT-82. Only documented difference Ford has talked about is the shift linkage. So maybe that's the weak point?

Granted, it could be mounted in a completely different way as well.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/23/14 at 06:13 PM.
Old 7/23/14, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Way2QWK
As I understand, the reason for the shifting problems with the MT82 trans is due to the remote mounted shifter design. It's just not as solid or as precise as a T56 or other direct mounted shifter designs. To much flex between trans, shifter and shift rods. Thats why a bracket the ties all 3 parts together may be the best solution. Im guessing thats what the Blowfish piece is......just my thoughts. This bushing is what Im trying next.
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=617

Isnt this the same part?:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/whitel...-kit-1114.html

I have read that most people that use this complain of allot more NVH.
Old 7/23/14, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Just speculation. But on the 2015, it uses the same MT-82. Only documented difference Ford has talked about is the shift linkage. So maybe that's the weak point?

Granted, it could be mounted in a completely different way as well.

Now that is what I was thinking is the weak link here is movement. Either in the shifter mounting or the Shift link.
Old 7/23/14, 08:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Isnt this the same part?:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/whitel...-kit-1114.html

I have read that most people that use this complain of allot more NVH.
The increase in NVH is negligible in my case (V6, though).

Quick Reply: GT manual Shifter issues