Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ghost cam info please

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/13, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost cam info please

I want o so it badly but there is one snag I need to keep some form of cats on the car for emissions. Can I use a set of hi flows any info please and any imput from bama would be awsome
Old 6/25/13, 09:52 PM
Banned

Nope. Need to be catless.
Old 6/25/13, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

lol interestingly enough there have been a few guys who have used hi flow cats and have had no issues
Old 6/25/13, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

hi flow cats on this one
Old 6/25/13, 10:20 PM
Banned

I also currently have a cam tune and I'm on the stock cats. I rarely run it, but I have it.
Old 6/25/13, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

how does it sound with the stock cats if i may ask because I wouldnt run it alot with the stockers and sadly there really isnt a simply bolt on hi flow replacement cat for both banks
Old 6/26/13, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gogoggansgo
I want o so it badly but there is one snag I need to keep some form of cats on the car for emissions. Can I use a set of hi flows any info please and any imput from bama would be awsome
We recommend running the Ghost cam tune with O/R mid-pipes only. The added fuel that makes the car lope, will cause your cats to go bad over time! You shouldn't have any problems for a while, but un-burnt fuel will eventually get to them.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Old 6/26/13, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor

Whoops looks like Dan got to you first!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Gogoggansgo

Gogoggansgo,

Although the Bama Cam tune does sound awesome, unfortunately we require the exhaust to be catless in order to use the tune. I realize others have used some type of Ghost Cam tune with catalytic converters, but that doesn't make it right.

Ghost Cam tunes sound like aftermarket camshafts because we're able to take advantage of the variable valve timing. With excessive intake and exhaust valve overlap, you start to get the cam idle tone that everyone loves.

In order to maintain a proper idle and prevent stalling, more fuel needs to be used during idle than our normal Bama tunes or stock tune. This causes a lot of unburnt fuel to exist through the exhaust, which will start to clog any type of catalytic converter in the exhaust. Eventually, the cat will become completely clogged or burn out. This is why we only offer the Bama cam tune with O/R mid-pipes.

Hope this clears things up for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Shane

Last edited by AMWill; 6/26/13 at 08:11 AM.
Old 6/26/13, 08:27 AM
GT Member

I was curious in getting this tune. Is there any power loss compared to the regular race tune?
Old 6/26/13, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh...now I read this and see why I never got that tune. I think you guys should state that in the email when you send out the tunes.
Old 6/27/13, 05:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get it...why over rich the fuel just to get a "lopey" sounding idle?

What am I missing?
Old 6/27/13, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's the best sound ever, that's what
Old 6/27/13, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by COYOTEHP
I was curious in getting this tune. Is there any power loss compared to the regular race tune?
There's not power loss or power gain with the Bama Cam tune. Once you get in the low to mid RPM band, the tune is exactly the same. So, the Bama Cam tune is just the Race tune with a rough idle.

Shane

Originally Posted by Bucko
I don't get it...why over rich the fuel just to get a "lopey" sounding idle?

What am I missing?
When you increase the timing of the intake and exhaust valve overlap, the dynamic compression of the engine is lowered. Even though the static compression is still the same, the running (dynamic) compression is different depending on the camshaft specs or valve overlap from the VVT.

With a significant decrease of dynamic compression, it's difficult to keep the engine running at idle. The additional fuel allows for a consistent or less sensitive idle. This is one of the factors that prevents surging or stalling with the Bama Cam tune or any other Ghost Cam tune.

Shane
Old 6/27/13, 05:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I agree it sounds mean. I am hoping in a couple years there will be some good base times available for us to play around with and do some self tuning. Would be nice to have a couple to switch around. That cam tune would be fun for car shows and such
Old 6/28/13, 02:49 AM
Cobra Member

So, the ghost tune does nothing performance wise; just provides a rough idle to resemble a cammed engine of yesteryear?
Old 6/28/13, 03:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So, the ghost tune does nothing performance wise; just provides a rough idle to resemble a cammed engine of yesteryear?
Exactly what I was wondering

EDIT: Why are all my recent posts unfinished? I must be getting old and...what was I saying?

Last edited by wheelman; 6/28/13 at 02:55 PM.
Old 6/28/13, 04:49 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Ghost cam tunes do add power just like other 'performance' tunes. Even on my V-6
Old 6/28/13, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor

Bucko,

I think you have it. I just want to clarify that the Bama Cam tune does nothing performance wise OVER the Bama Race tune. At WOT the Bama Cam tune and Bama Race tune are identical. The only difference between the two is one idles rough with the VVT to simulate a radical camshaft.

Sorry if I'm being redundant. I just didn't want others to get confused and think there was no performance gains over the stock tune, which is false.

Shane
Old 6/28/13, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny how my comment got ignored...
Old 6/28/13, 01:59 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Whoops looks like Dan got to you first!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gogoggansgo,

Although the Bama Cam tune does sound awesome, unfortunately we require the exhaust to be catless in order to use the tune. I realize others have used some type of Ghost Cam tune with catalytic converters, but that doesn't make it right.

Ghost Cam tunes sound like aftermarket camshafts because we're able to take advantage of the variable valve timing. With excessive intake and exhaust valve overlap, you start to get the cam idle tone that everyone loves.

In order to maintain a proper idle and prevent stalling, more fuel needs to be used during idle than our normal Bama tunes or stock tune. This causes a lot of unburnt fuel to exist through the exhaust, which will start to clog any type of catalytic converter in the exhaust. Eventually, the cat will become completely clogged or burn out. This is why we only offer the Bama cam tune with O/R mid-pipes.

Hope this clears things up for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Shane
Can you explain how the factory boss can idle this way with cats and no problems?

Quick Reply: Ghost cam info please