Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Found a paint/body defect on my new stang :(

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/10, 07:06 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a paint/body defect on my new stang :(

A small under dime size dimple (maybe reverse dimple, kind of looks like it was pushed up from bottom) on the top of the drivers side fender. I also found some deep marks in the clear on the hood that I may or may not be able to remove.

It is one of those things that you can only see from the correct angle with the correct lighting. I have been totally unable to get a picture of it, but my wife was able to spot it so that shows it is not that tricky to find

I am a nut about detailing and use a PorterCable 7424XP with Adam's products to keep my ride looking nice so this really pisses me off.

I am debating on bringing it to the dealer to have them look at it but long term I am better off living with it than having it painted.

Of course it is possible that it happened in the week that I have had the car and was not there from the dealer or factory but I doubt it.

Last edited by Argetni; 7/1/10 at 07:45 AM.
Old 7/1/10, 10:01 AM
V6 Member

Hard to comment when we can't see the defect for ourselves. I question how bad it really is if conditions have to be perfect to see it and it can't be captured in a photo.
Old 7/1/10, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

It won't cost anything to have a good paintless dent removal place give their opinion on it. I believe most of their removals come from the underside, but it is still worth a shot. If they can't fix it, I'd leave it alone.
Old 7/1/10, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by desertMustang
Hard to comment when we can't see the defect for ourselves. I question how bad it really is if conditions have to be perfect to see it and it can't be captured in a photo.
I have tried all kinds of settings on the camera and I cannot get it. It is not a bad mark but on a week old today car it sucks

I emailed my salesman about it and asked that he take a look when I return to pickup my registration.

You do have to stand in the right spot to see it that is for sure.
Old 7/1/10, 12:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wasn't there some big debate like this a while back about a scratch on the bumper of a 2011 at a dealer and one of the salesman went haywire and posted pics and shouted at everyone making it a big ho-rah?!
Old 7/1/10, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Ok I spoke with my salesman and he wants me to bring it in tomorrow for their body shop to evaluate.
Old 7/1/10, 07:33 PM
GT Member

I took it to the best bodyshop in the area after work today. They are the only Audi aluminum certified dealer in NJ so they do not mess around.

The guy spotted it quickly and said it is a defect in how the fender was formed and is raised dimple. He said the only correct fix would be to

-remove fender from car to prevent any overspray
-sand area smooth, pop in and fill if necessary
-respray whole fender
-clear it

$750

I asked what he would do if it were his car and he "said, live with it, it is not bad at all"

I am still going to the dealer tomorrow just to see what they offer to do.
Old 7/1/10, 07:45 PM

i say live with it or buy/get a new car. you will never be 100% satisfied in the long run with any sort of aftermarket paint that doesn't happen in a factory (applied by machines in a clean room setting and baked by computers).
Old 7/1/10, 08:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Don't live with it...you payed your money...get dealership to do as bodyshop said,and make them pay...

That or demand a new car....then they will do above!
Old 7/1/10, 08:54 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 622 Likes on 447 Posts
If you have to get it in a certain lighting condition and just the right angle to see it with the naked eye, and can't even get a pic of it, leave it alone. Trust me, you don't want them to start painting and doing body work on a brand new car. I went through that with a brand new GT/CS and ended up selling it with only 1500 or so miles on it (iirc).

Unless you are looking at a very high end car, all of them have something like that on them somewhere. I guarantee you I can pull 90% of all new cars sold into my garage and turn on all my lights and find a dent, raised pimple, or some other defect in the body somewhere on the car.

Thing is, 99% of the general public will never spot it on your car unless you point it out, and most people never notice them on their own cars.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 7/1/10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 7/1/10, 10:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It sucks right now.... but you're going to drive the car, right? If you can just live with it, I think you'll be happier. You'll have stone chips to worry about soon enough.

My Dodge Dart has one area of factory orange peel that I would have been super annoyed about had I bought the car new...but now it's part of the car's history. It doesn't bother me.
Old 7/2/10, 01:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Just live with it. The paint is never going to be perfect, and it will become MORE imperfect over its lifetime. Just think of it as a birthmark on a hot chick. It's character

When I used to work at the stereo shop, we always had Ferraris, Lambos, Bentleys, Mercedes, etc. Every single one of them had paint/carbon fiber/wood/leather imperfections. It's just a car. You'd be surprised how much orange peel brand new black BMWs have. Ford does a better black paint job than BMW for sure.

Don't sweat it man...
Old 7/2/10, 04:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please i have found a few flaws already. Nothing major but to **** freaks like us it bugs the hell out of us. So minor it is not worth it. My 08 did have a big wave/ripple in the front bumper though that i had the dealer fix. It came out great.
Old 7/2/10, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

FIX IT OR LIVE WITH IT. IT IS JUST A CAR AND CARS CAN BE FIXED.IT'S YOUR BABY WOULD YOU WANT TO GIVE IT UP NOW ? THERE REALLY ARE NO PERFECT CARS PRODUCED ON ANY MANUFACTURER'S ASSEMBLY LINE.

Last edited by karrnutt; 7/2/10 at 06:14 AM. Reason: ADD ON
Old 7/2/10, 06:16 AM

don't fix it... sell it or live with it.. if you fix it, you will be disappointed, i promise you.
Old 7/2/10, 08:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Three weeks into having my '07 GT, I crunched the left front fender against a concrete pillar. The front panel was removed, repaired, and repainted. It blended quite well, and the person who worked on my car (a Mustang owner and quite meticulous), said that he didn't have issues matching things up. The only thing I ever noticed that was an issue with the repair was the clearcoat flaking off about 1.5 years later. That was repaired and I didn't see any issues with the match then either.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 7/2/10, 11:18 AM
GT Member

Update:

Salesman had me go see service. Service writer could not even see it but managed to scratch the area with his finger nail which I now get to enjoy buffing out. Service had me see on site body shop. Owner of the body shop said "you want to paint a brand new car over this? We will have to paint the whole fender and blend the hood, you do not want to do that".

Looks like living with it will be the way to go.
Old 7/2/10, 01:34 PM
GT Member

Update again:

Salesman called me and said he spoke with his PDR guy, PDR guy said fixing a raised dimple should be no problem. Salesman is going to set it up for next Thursday or Friday and dealer is going to pick up the tab. Things are looking up!
Old 7/2/10, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Yeah it's no big deal, we just get out a wood block and hammer and beat it back into the body! Like 5 minutes of work!"
Old 7/8/10, 02:37 PM
GT Member

UPDATE: Not sure how he did it or what he did but the PDR guy got it 99.5% fixed, there may still be a miniscule ripple but nobody but me can find it. I am very impressed.

Quick Reply: Found a paint/body defect on my new stang :(