2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Found an interest article from the Aussies:

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/07, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found an interest article from the Aussies:

I found this article from the blueovalnews forum. This article came from an Australian magazine called Wheels. In this article it talks about the new Hurricane/Boss engine for the upcoming Ford Falcon. To make a long story short the new Boss engine will not be OHC but will be OHV. It will be in 2 configurations: 5.8 and 6.2. it also mentioned it can be stroked to 7-liters. According to the Aussies the 6.2 should produce about 420hp.

Here is a better summary of the Boss engine taken from Wheels magazine:

Despite significant revisions to the Ford and FPV Boss V8’s (main story), Ford fans can expect brand new engines in time for Orion’s first major upgrade in 2010. Ford will ditch the 'high-tech' Triton ohc design for a new family of more compact and lighter pushrod v8 engines. Initially, two capacities will be offered; a 6.2-liter packing 320kw or 428hp approximately, and a shorter stroke 5.8-litre version. But, like GM Gen IV V8, the new engine will have the flexibility to offer capacities of at least 7.0 liters. The project originally dubbed 'Hurricane' (but changed to 'Boss' after Hurricane Katrina) was canned in 2005 so Ford could concentrate on the modular Triton V8s and V10. After poor reception for the Triton both here (Australia) and in North America, the ohv v8 project was revived by Mark Fields (President of Ford Americas) in early 2006. The ohv engine's first application will be the new F-150 pick-up truck due in late 2008. The Triton overhead cam will continue at least until 2010, when the new Boss motors spreads across the rest of the F-Series range and into passenger vehicles like the new Mustang and Crown Victoria.

Here is the article:

Hurricane/Boss engine:

Other than the engine info it's nice to know the Mustang will eventually get an increase in displacement. It's kinda sad (at least for me) to know the OHC design will be replaced by the OHV. Aside from that, the upcoming Falcon for the Aussies is looking pretty good. I hope we get something similar in a 4 door sports sedan.
Old 8/20/07, 09:44 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, to bad on going away from the OHC, but from a packaing standpoint its hard to beat the good ol' ohv engine.

Y'know, the mod motors would have been better recieved if somebody hadn't made the lame descision to make the engine compatible with both FWD/RWD configurations, had the mod motors been designed for large bores that really could taken advantage of the OHC 2v/3v/4v configuration, things would have been really different. Size would have still been an issue, but I think we would have seen comparable power ratings to our Brand-X brothers.

I'll miss the mod motors when they are gone, the engines are good for 100 hp/liter using factory castings, could never have gotten 500 hp out of a 302 using compression, cam, and ported ET7E heads, even on a good day.
Old 8/20/07, 10:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Falcon is one sweet rdie for sure!!!!!
Old 8/20/07, 11:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'm skeptical about the OHV claim until I see it verified. All other prior information has the Boss/Hurricane as an evolution of the Mod architecture, with many familiar features of same. An OHV V8 would be dramatically different from the Mod, and besides which we have pics/vid of an SOHC V8 prototype that we think is the Boss.
Old 8/21/07, 07:14 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They are 2v OHC, NOT Valve...

Unless something has SERIOUSLY changed in the last little while.
Old 8/21/07, 07:19 AM
I Have No Life

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...352984&page=23

Benny posted here as well... but its a great thread for info.

Note theres a motor between 5-5.8L as well as the 5.8-6.2
Old 8/21/07, 08:17 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure the new engine is a OHC not OHV. I'm curious to get some officail information from Ford.
Old 8/21/07, 03:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every insider rumour to date has indicated OHC's. The possibility that all of this is white-wash and that this engine is indeed and OHV design is probably pretty remote.
Old 8/21/07, 03:57 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OHC

Old 8/21/07, 04:07 PM
I Have No Life

Oh that's just a red herring
hhahah
Old 8/22/07, 11:43 AM

More info on the Boss engine:

I found more info on the awaited Boss engine from wikipedia.

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

The Boss is a forthcoming large-displacement V8 engine project at Ford Motor Company. The engine project was reportedly cancelled in 2005 as the company focused on its existing Triton V8 and V10, but was reportedly[1] revived in early 2006 by Mark Fields. The large engine will compete with DaimlerChrysler's new Hemi and General Motors' large Vortec engines.

The Boss engine will reportedly displace 6.2 L (379 in³, 6208 cc) upon introduction, with the ability to exceed 7.0 L in future applications, and produce more than 425 hp (317 kW) and 425 ft·lbf (576 N·m). It has been rumored that a smaller 5.8 L (355 in³, 5814 cc) version will be developed for a special edition 2009 Ford Mustang and is expected to be the standard V8 engine for the 2010 or 2011 Ford Mustang. The Boss V8s will be built at Cleveland Engine in Cleveland, Ohio. The first application will be Ford's F-Series pickup trucks produced at Dearborn Truck. It has been rumored that the Boss will retain many of the Modular V8 design cues such as a deep skirt block with cross bolted main caps, oiling system design, and overhead camshaft valve train arrangement. The Boss' single most significant departure from the Modular V8 will be the significantly wider 4.53 in (115 mm) bore centerline. It has been rumored that the 6.2 L will employ a 4.015 in (102 mm) bore diameter and a 3.74 in (95 mm) stroke to achieve it's displacement while the 5.8 L version will retain the 6.2 L's bore diameter but employ a shorter 3.503 in (89 mm) stroke. The initial versions of the Boss will have two-valves-per-cylinder, two spark-plugs per cylinder and likely employ a form of cylinder or valve deactivation for increased fuel economy. Later high-performance versions will be equipped with DOHC, four-valves-per-cylinder and Gasoline direct injection (GDI). There are rumors of a 6.2 L, DOHC, four-valves-per-cylinder, twin-turbo, GDIversion of the Boss already under development.

Initial information on valve size, puts the intake valve at 2.10" and 1.65" exhaust [2]

The engine was initially called the "Hurricane", but this was changed in mid 2006 to the storied Boss name[3] in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
Old 8/30/07, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
OHC

The engine in this picture looks like a Overhead Valve Engine!
Old 8/31/07, 05:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tacbear
The engine in this picture looks like a Overhead Valve Engine!
It's supposedly not. BlueII over at the Blue Oval News forum (who works for Ford and is a great source of inside info) said that is the 7.0 liter SOHC version of the Boss engine that Roush has been testing. At this point, it's only an engineering exercise and isn't slated for production.
Old 9/2/07, 06:44 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Looks good in there, needs to be the base engine in the GT to you now, shut some brand-x guys up.
Old 9/3/07, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

next january ill be studying abroad in Australia.......Oh my god, I would kill to see those cars in person. Maybe its just me but I am seriously impressed with Ford of Australia's lineup of cars. God willing ill even be able to drive some = ) And if anybody knows how is there a way to calculate kW into HP?
Old 9/3/07, 11:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cheech6g
next january ill be studying abroad in Australia.......Oh my god, I would kill to see those cars in person. Maybe its just me but I am seriously impressed with Ford of Australia's lineup of cars. God willing ill even be able to drive some = ) And if anybody knows how is there a way to calculate kW into HP?
Kw to HP to KVa calculator
http://www.tvss.net/train/tools/08.htm

Assorted calculators
http://www.csgnetwork.com/automotiveconverters.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/auto.html
Old 9/7/07, 08:02 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cheech6g
It's sad when the company's satellite operations in Europe and Australia produce a more appealing, better quality lineup than the parent company is able to produce at home.

Something's not right with that picture.

Hopefully that is starting to change.
Old 9/7/07, 11:22 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Heh, probably had something to do with abandoning the car market and essentially being a Truck and SUV company almost exclusively. Look at the Mustang, the S-197 cars are actually 11 years late to the game, or the PI and 3v engines which were, what 9 years late to the game, Ford should have rolled out the PI engine the year they put the mod motor into the Mustang, or better yet, they should have been ahead of the curve and had the aluminum 3v engines ready to go at Mustang Mod motor launch time. Instead the Mustang had to wimper off like a knife in a gun fight.
Old 9/9/07, 08:05 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by bob
Instead the Mustang had to wimper off like a knife in a gun fight.
Amazingly enough, all they did was wait till the company with the gun ran out of bullets, and just walked up to them and stabbed them

Regardless of what we enthusiasts think, the mustang still outsold and killed its competition, literally.
Old 9/9/07, 07:01 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Tru'dat

Speaking of the next gen engine if it is indeed SOHC, anybody see the new cam in the brand new viper? Its a twin shaft affair that lets the exhaust lobes move up tp 40(IIRc) degrees, or I guess 20 degrees either way in relation to the intake lobe. They basically pin the exhaust lobes to the inner shaft. So it got me thinking, with SOHC its pretty easy to advance or retard the cam but the lobe separation angle still remains fixed with only the intake centerline changing in relation to the crank. However, if you applied this twinshaft technology to a SOHC engine with cam phasing, then you would end up with a SOHC engine with actual VVT without having the need to go to a DOHC setup, or in other words, it would be nice if the next engine implemented some variation of the dodge technology to give it one more trick in the face of competition.

Anyways, just a thought.