Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

For the few that have got to drive a 2011 GT....

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/10, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desertMustang
Really? Over 100 hp difference and it's not enough to wow you? Are you sure it's not your subconsciousness telling you that your '10 is comparable so you don't go out and waste some money?
Not at all. The 5.0 is a tremendous machine. I said so when I drove one before almost anyone else.
https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=481541

If I didn't have my '10, of course I'd be interested. But how often do I have the opportunity to go 0-100 MPH? I don't go to the track nor do I have an e-***** to stroke. So I say again, it's great but it's not worth losing my shirt over.

Last edited by 03Mach1; 5/6/10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 5/6/10, 11:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Mach1
Not at all. The 5.0 is a tremendous machine. I said so when I drove one before almost anyone else.
https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=481541

If I didn't have my '10, of course I'd be interested. But how often do I have the opportunity to go 0-100 MPH? I don't go to the track nor do I have an e-***** to stroke. So I say again, it's great but it's not worth losing my shirt over.

I just hit 100MPH 15 minutes ago coming back to work from lunch ... 3rd gear around 6000 RPM entering hwy from entrance ramp...

I think only the folks that bought their 2010 prior to the 5.0 announcement may feel some buyers remorse ... I'm perfectly happy with my 2010 GT bought in Feb 2010.

Last edited by dmhines; 5/6/10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 5/6/10, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03Mach1
...nor do I have an e-***** to stroke.
If that's original, it's good. Hell, it's good anyway.
Old 5/6/10, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by treygil
Can we leave the corvette talk in the other two threads going on about it right now?
I was shocked to see this thread get back on topic, at least for a few post...thank you guys for that.

Trick 25, I think I am with you..really curious what the two different model years feel like and how much of a difference it really is.
I know it won't be possible until I test drive a 2011, but thought there was some insight here....which there is, so thank you all.
Im sorry. Im the one who started the Corvette Talk in trying to find something to compare it to.
I figured more of you had driven an LS3 than a GT500 so I use it for a comparison.

The 427R feels halfway between a 4.6L 3V and GT500. I believe the 5.0L will feel similar. But with more top end power and less midrange. My car should be here tomorrow (hopefully) and I should be able to confirm it.

2007 Mustang GT Deluxe w/ 3.55
2011 Mustang GT Base w/ 3.55
The 2007 was returned to showroom stock months ago.
Both cars optioned identically so it should be apples to apples.
Old 5/6/10, 07:08 PM
V6 Member

Gene, no worries at all. Your comparison made sense actually, so thank you for the insight.
Congrats on the soon to be arriving 5.0! You will have to update us with your impressions.
Old 5/6/10, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mark S.
(But then, again...MT test drove the hot 2011 GT/5.0 with the 3.73s, Brembo brake package, etc. and the sticker price is very close to $40K...$40K for a Mustang GT??? Not too smart Ford).
Actually one of the magazines (dont remember which one) got a GT Base, Brembo, 3.73, Security Package Car that stickered around $33,000.

I think this whole $40,000 Mustang deal is a bit overplayed. You can get a GT Base for 30,495 MSRP or $27,200 Street Price (After Rebates) or a Premium w/ 3.73 for $34,090 MSRP or $30,400 Street Price (After Rebates).

Ford is only giving the customer what they want. Based on what Ive seen on this site most cutomers want a $36,000-42,000 MSRP Mustang or they wouldnt be ordering one.
Old 5/6/10, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene K
Actually one of the magazines (dont remember which one) got a GT Base, Brembo, 3.73, Security Package Car that stickered around $33,000.

I think this whole $40,000 Mustang deal is a bit overplayed. You can get a GT Base for 30,495 MSRP or $27,200 Street Price (After Rebates) or a Premium w/ 3.73 for $34,090 MSRP or $30,400 Street Price (After Rebates).

Ford is only giving the customer what they want. Based on what Ive seen on this site most cutomers want a $36,000-42,000 MSRP Mustang or they wouldnt be ordering one.
To be fair, I wish Ford still offered a number of standalone options like they did form 05-09. I can see WHY they chose to package them as either Base with nothing, or Premium with everything, but I still would like more options as far as ordering...
Old 5/6/10, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mark S.
But then, again...MT test drove the hot 2011 GT/5.0 with the 3.73s, Brembo brake package, etc. and the sticker price is very close to $40K...$40K for a Mustang GT??? Not too smart Ford).

BTW CG205, I truly love my Mustang...but it still doesn't compare to my '01 C5 Z51 Coupe. No comparison, whatsoever.
My 2009 370Z was $40k too. I really don't think that's an unreasonable price for this car in 2011. I will be test driving one soon!
Old 5/7/10, 04:12 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
To be fair, I wish Ford still offered a number of standalone options like they did form 05-09. I can see WHY they chose to package them as either Base with nothing, or Premium with everything, but I still would like more options as far as ordering...
When Ford did that, it was nice, but it was also a cost prohibitive measure and caused a lot of headaches. The number of combinations of options got so ridiculous, I actually prefer the new spec'd options and packages. They've done a good job putting things together that people will opt for, and I'm fine with that.

Last edited by Overboost; 5/7/10 at 04:40 AM.
Old 5/7/10, 07:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
When Ford did that, it was nice, but it was also a cost prohibitive measure and caused a lot of headaches. The number of combinations of options got so ridiculous, I actually prefer the new spec'd options and packages. They've done a good job putting things together that people will opt for, and I'm fine with that.
And yet they market the number of combinations/options for the F150 as the "end all/be all" of vehicle purchasing.

So which is it, Ford?
Old 5/7/10, 03:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
And yet they market the number of combinations/options for the F150 as the "end all/be all" of vehicle purchasing.

So which is it, Ford?
I haven't looked up the sales figures but I bet Ford sells 10 F-150's for every Mustang. With that kind of volume, it's easier to support many more independent options.
Old 5/7/10, 03:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyW
I haven't looked up the sales figures but I bet Ford sells 10 F-150's for every Mustang. With that kind of volume, it's easier to support many more independent options.
Yep, pretty much. Besides, in the truck market, you're really appealing to a broad crowd, so you have to offer a bigger selection of individual options. It still gets a bit nutty, but it makes more sense for something you sell 750,000 vs. 75,000.
Old 5/7/10, 06:36 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So I finally drove a 5.0L today....

WOW....

This thing is pretty special.
Now I came in driving my 2005 4.6 5speed, and i've driven a couple 2010 GTs..
The 2011 GT is a seriously another milestone in the legacy.
2005 brought the looks, 2010 brought the refinement, 2011 brings the heat.

My 2005 feels like a ****box now...hehehe... Ok well not quite, but it deftinately doesn't have the get up and go, and refinement + looks of the new cars. Looks are subjective but this thing hauls.

Now I couldn't really take this thing for a 'good ole fashion flogging' it was raining, it wasn't my car, and as soon as I really got it going, I got stuck in stop/go traffic for 10 min...gave me time to explore the interior some more.

Starting it up and getting it going got me giddy. This reminded me of how much I love the new for 2010 interior... the interior even with the sound pipe...quiet. Sound quality is great, but the volume just isn't there.. (Mind you I'm coming from a 4.6 with xpipe and borla stingers...)

When I first put the clutch down on this car, I almost threw it through the floor...its incredilby light and EASY. Mine by comparison feels like I'm working out with a weight machine. It is a very easy flowing clutch pedal. Bit harder to feel where the clutch engages compared to the older gen.

The 6 speed shifter has the same head as my car, but the position of the shifter feels different.
The shifting doesn't require as much travel and sometimes you are guessing what gear you are in (comparing my old 5 speed where its pretty darn obvious by looking at the handle) I never missed a gear or anything, but that too is really quiet, compared to the symphony of metal clanging in my car...
It's very smooth and VERY easy to drive. (so smooth infact that when I got back in my car, I thought there was somethign wrong with the clutch, and I was used to the short shifts in the 2011...I actually grinded 2nd by accident...)

Driving, for a 412hp beast, its very tame...until you drop the hammer.
Holy hell.... it goes from soft and quiet to visceral in 4.3 seconds...
SUCH a fun car to drive. I really wish I hadn't hit the traffic on the highway and had a bit more fun with it.

This car was equipped with brembos, and it stopped nicely when it needed to (when I hit the stop and go) but I'm sure the regular brakes are awsome too, these'll just resist fade more.
And it was nice that the clutch was light, cause after sitting in stop/go to GET to my destination, my left leg looked like Popeye sized.

I'd totally rock the glassroof. This car didn't have it, but a Roush I sat in did.
Wouldn't go without one if I could. That and NextGenNav ... love that system.

Heated seats were nice, but I see what people mean with the one setting only.
Nice, but gets a bit TOO toasty after a while....

Last edited by Boomer; 5/7/10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 5/7/10, 06:41 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
encouraging. thanks for the review Boom
Old 5/7/10, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Boomer,

Do you know which gear it had in it?
Old 5/7/10, 07:08 PM
I Have No Life

The one thing I'm kicking myself about...
I looked the car up and down,
but after starting it... I didn't go listen to what it sounds like ...
Drove it, and shut it down.

Bummer...
Guess I just have to go back and give'r another run
Old 5/7/10, 07:10 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
Boomer,

Do you know which gear it had in it?
For what exactly?
Do you mean, could i tell?

Yeah, but because the gates are tight compared to the 05-09, it took a couple minutes to get used to how the car drives.
But once I did, like I said..my car felt archiac by comparison

edit..ya know just thinkin about it...
I'm wondering if once or twice in the city, I was a victim of skipshift..hahah
I couldn't even tell. Mostly I was shifting over 3.5k anyway..so I don't think it was even an issue.

Last edited by Boomer; 5/7/10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 5/7/10, 07:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Nice write up, Pete! Thanks for sharing your impressions. And feeding the frenzy of prospective owners.
Old 5/7/10, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
For what exactly?
Do you mean, could i tell?

Yeah, but because the gates are tight compared to the 05-09, it took a couple minutes to get used to how the car drives.
But once I did, like I said..my car felt archiac by comparison

edit..ya know just thinkin about it...
I'm wondering if once or twice in the city, I was a victim of skipshift..hahah
I couldn't even tell. Mostly I was shifting over 3.5k anyway..so I don't think it was even an issue.

I'm pretty sure he was asking about the rear end...

And I'm guessing you would have known if you got skip-shifted; it would force you to shift from 1st to 4th, probably noticeably bogging the engine...
Old 5/7/10, 07:54 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm pretty sure he was asking about the rear end...

And I'm guessing you would have known if you got skip-shifted; it would force you to shift from 1st to 4th, probably noticeably bogging the engine...
Derp...just thought about that after.

Honestly I was pressed for time and I didn`t even read the window sticker to see.
I`m trying to get clarification on it.

As for the skip shift, the car was so quiet, I was excited and I was busy talking to my wife...honestly I couldn`t tell if it was or wasn`t.
Again, I need more seat time and need to pay attention more...haha..

Quick Reply: For the few that have got to drive a 2011 GT....