Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dyno time and FRPP tune installed

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/11, 01:19 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dyno time and FRPP tune installed

I had the opportunity to take my car to Livernois today, and meet with a Ford Racing engineer to do some testing on their FRPP tune. This is the same tune that comes with their "Power Pack". I brought the car out, with a few gallons of 87 in the tank, and we set off.

To clarify, my car only has a Corsa X-pipe and axle back on it. The motor is stock.

First thing, we let the car cool to proper exhaust temps to get a correct baseline. The engineer wanted to make sure the exhaust temps for testing were identical before & after the tune. We did three runs with 87 in the tank, and my best run was 395rwhp/387rwtq. The first one was 391/382, and they went up from there. All pulls were done in 5th gear. Car has a 3.73 rear axle.

After a short cool down period, we loaded the tune and dropped in the K&N filter, in place of the standard one (the filter is included in the kit). At this time we also filled up with 93. After running a few more pulls with the upgrades, we had a best run of 403rwhp/393rwtq. What was most noticeable on the graphs was the smoothing of torque and the increase down low (graph coming soon!). The car had a consistent increase in hp/tq all across the rev range, and the rev limiter was shifted ~200 rpm higher than stock. The tune also eliminates skip shift (more on that in a minute).

After getting the car off the dyno and spending some time with it on the street, the car has totally changed. Throttle response is crisp and quick, and 2nd & 3rd gears pull great. You wouldn't think by driving/riding in it that the car *only* gained 10hp or so. Not having skip-shift waiting in the rungs definitely changes how the car shifts, especially into 2nd gear. Definitely a good thing there.

I spent some time talking with the engineer, and he had nothing but good things to say about the motor, the Boss 302, and the available FRPP parts. Some of the testing they've done on the supercharger kits without failure is pretty impressive.

To summarize, if you're looking for a safe, reliable, proven (and tested) tune, the FRPP kit should be considered. It takes a potent car and gives it a real nice kick of adrenaline in all the right places.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12346

Dyno results (worst 87 to best 93 pull):

Video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXOViUHKCBU

Last edited by Overboost; 3/2/11 at 06:04 PM.
Old 2/24/11, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good numbers especially since its pretty much stock!

I hear throttle response is greatly improved with all the tunes. Might get one myself!
Old 2/24/11, 01:25 PM
Banned

Does it void the warranty though? That's the main question I would ask. Also, how much is the tune with the k&n filter?
Old 2/24/11, 01:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Good numbers especially since its pretty much stock!

I hear throttle response is greatly improved with all the tunes. Might get one myself!
I think both the guys at Livernois and the engineer were surprised. They mentioned about a 15-20 hp swing compared to my numbers.

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Does it void the warranty though? That's the main question I would ask. Also, how much is the tune with the k&n filter?
I don't believe so. The goal of the FRPP tune is to upgrade something with a higher level of input than an aftermarket tune. We talked in depth about the extra hurdles that FRPP has to go through to market these types of products. They may not have the "highest" numbers, but they do go through the same certifications that the OEM tune/parts go through, so it's not as risky as some out there.
Old 2/24/11, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

I was afraid to ask that since that topic tend to ruin threads with arguments
Old 2/24/11, 01:34 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
waiting on more details.

Tell him to make a trip out to Southern Cal, I would love to be an FRPP guinea pig!
Old 2/24/11, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

So basically you gained 8 peak rwhp. If you would have started with 93 you would have really found out the true increase of the tune. Overall it seems the gain was much smaller than its really worth because most run 93 in their cars. Besides the improved throttle response its very disappointing for the money it cost. Better to go with a mail order tune from the big boys.
Old 2/24/11, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

so if the FRPP doesn't void warrenty....can't you technically buy another mail order tune...and if something goes wrong..have the FRPP tune handy and load that on that car? Im sure it doesn't remember anything other than the last thing put on there
Old 2/24/11, 02:22 PM
GT Member

overboost are you bouncing between tunes? just saw your other thread about the steeda tune as well
Old 2/24/11, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
So basically you gained 8 peak rwhp. If you would have started with 93 you would have really found out the true increase of the tune. Overall it seems the gain was much smaller than its really worth because most run 93 in their cars. Besides the improved throttle response its very disappointing for the money it cost. Better to go with a mail order tune from the big boys.
I agree with redcandy. You didn't even gain 8 RWHP because that was 87 to 93. The 93 alone would have given you the 8 RWHP alone.

Also the RWHP numbers seem drastically overstated. I haven't seen anywhere indicating that 5.0 is making 460+ at the crank?

But maybe I'm wrong?
Old 2/24/11, 02:27 PM
Banned

Yeah, something doesn't seem right. 395rwhp WITHOUT a tune AND 87???

That's some crazy numbers. As Freakzoid mentioned, going from 87 to 93 alone would add 8rwhp. It wasn't done right.
Old 2/24/11, 02:40 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Freakazoid
overboost are you bouncing between tunes? just saw your other thread about the steeda tune as well
I have a Steeda CAI/tune lying around. Don't know when it might go on though.

Originally Posted by Freakazoid
I agree with redcandy. You didn't even gain 8 RWHP because that was 87 to 93. The 93 alone would have given you the 8 RWHP alone.

Also the RWHP numbers seem drastically overstated. I haven't seen anywhere indicating that 5.0 is making 460+ at the crank?

But maybe I'm wrong?
Trust me, looking at the map showed clearly where the power was gained, along with the bump in rev limiter and skip-shift elimination. The tune is evident in overall drivability, and that's more important to me than numbers.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right. 395rwhp WITHOUT a tune AND 87???

That's some crazy numbers. As Freakzoid mentioned, going from 87 to 93 alone would add 8rwhp. It wasn't done right.
As I mentioned, we were all scratching our head. It did seem high. I highly doubt a Ford Racing engineer is going to "screw up" a tune. I also mentioned that the only power adder I have is the X-pipe, which Corsa claims will add around 10 hp.
Old 2/24/11, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

He stated the car isn't stock..it has an X-pipe and axle backs. That alone clears up the mystery, as the X-pipe should be go for a solid 10-15 rwhp, with the axle backs adding just a bit (probably).

Heartthrob found something like 10 rwhp by slapping on muffler deletes, so we know there is power to be made there.
Old 2/24/11, 03:12 PM
GTR Member

Also worth mentioning is that every dyno is a bit different. Temps were cold and dry today too. Only 35 deg. or so today.

This is the same dyno that Shaun (Stinger1982) ran his 430hp run on.
Old 2/24/11, 03:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

So the dyno reads high. The thing is it was done to show the gain of the tune even though the hp #'s may be a little inflated but it is still a paltry gain for a tune.
Old 2/24/11, 03:27 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I have a Steeda CAI/tune lying around. Don't know when it might go on though.
So the corrupted file was identified and corrected?
Old 2/24/11, 03:28 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
So the dyno reads high. The thing is it was done to show the gain of the tune even though the hp #'s may be a little inflated but it is still a paltry gain for a tune.
I don't necessarily know if that's the case. Seems like some of you are trying to prove the dyno wrong instead of just accepting that the numbers weren't that high.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
So the corrupted file was identified and corrected?
Yeah, I dealt with that issue on Monday.
Old 2/24/11, 04:40 PM
Banned

I don't necessarily know if that's the case. Seems like some of you are trying to prove the dyno wrong instead of just accepting that the numbers weren't that high.
IMO, running with 87 first, then running with 93 AND tune skewed the data. If you initially ran with 93, than did a run with tune and 93 as well, would seem more logical. No?
Old 2/24/11, 04:45 PM
GTR Member

IMO, running with 87 first, then running with 93 AND tune skewed the data. If you initially ran with 93, than did a run with tune and 93 as well, would seem more logical. No?
I agree. I was just going off of what was asked of me when I brought the car in.
Old 2/24/11, 04:51 PM
Banned

I agree. I was just going off of what was asked of me when I brought the car in.
I figured. I would get the tune if it didn't void the warranty and it was much cheaper. like $150

Isn't it like $400?

Quick Reply: Dyno time and FRPP tune installed