Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Do I have any recourse of a bad rear end install at the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/14, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
That's good news indeed Speed. Happy to hear Ford is helping. Ford now has a two year warranty on dealer repairs. But, here's hoping you won't ever have to take it back.
Old 7/9/14, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear it is getting fixed. I would still cry foul at any thing less than covering the full cost of repair and a refund for the misdiagnosis on the tire noise. Telling someone they are SOL because the car is 100 miles out of warranty and providing an incorrect diagnosis is total BS. Especially for something that has already failed and never should have failed in the first place. Rear gears aren't something you can tear up in 40 to 60 thousand miles unless something is out of whack in the housing or the gears were improperly installed to begin with. They need to go ahead and put a new axle assembly in it or you will probably have this failure again.

Last edited by roadracingmustang; 7/9/14 at 10:43 PM.
Old 7/9/14, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I agree. Either they did a *horrendous* job at swapping the gears out, or there's something fundamentally wrong with the axle.
Old 7/10/14, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
These Mustang forums are filled with posts and threads about rear end noise in these rear ends. Either people are abusing the crap out of the cars or they are installing bad parts or the people setting up the rear end doesn't know what they are doing.

I have a 2014 GT with 7,400 miles on it. Since my car has an automatic, it has the 3.15 ratio. I've been getting some type of noise since about 5,000 miles. I took it in to Ford and they told me it was road noise or tire noise. Mine is mostly a roaring sound with a slight whine when I let off of the gas.

I even changed out the rear end fluid when the car had almost 4,000 miles on it when I installed my Ford aluminum diff cover. I put the Motorcraft 75W-140 fluid back in it with the Ford friction modifier.

I have never even spun the tires on this car so its not from abuse. I find it hard to believe that my tires are that noisy with only this few of miles on them.

This is one thing about this car I don't like because the noise starts getting on my nerves after awhile and the sound of my GT500 AB does not cover it up. I guess I'm going to wait awhile to take it back and let it get worse so that there won't be any doubt what the problem is.

OP, I hope they get you fixed up and that it stays that way.

Wayne
Old 7/10/14, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
These Mustang forums are filled with posts and threads about rear end noise in these rear ends. Either people are abusing the crap out of the cars or they are installing bad parts or the people setting up the rear end doesn't know what they are doing. I have a 2014 GT with 7,400 miles on it. Since my car has an automatic, it has the 3.15 ratio. I've been getting some type of noise since about 5,000 miles. I took it in to Ford and they told me it was road noise or tire noise. Mine is mostly a roaring sound with a slight whine when I let off of the gas. I even changed out the rear end fluid when the car had almost 4,000 miles on it when I installed my Ford aluminum diff cover. I put the Motorcraft 75W-140 fluid back in it with the Ford friction modifier. I have never even spun the tires on this car so its not from abuse. I find it hard to believe that my tires are that noisy with only this few of miles on them. This is one thing about this car I don't like because the noise starts getting on my nerves after awhile and the sound of my GT500 AB does not cover it up. I guess I'm going to wait awhile to take it back and let it get worse so that there won't be any doubt what the problem is. OP, I hope they get you fixed up and that it stays that way. Wayne
My whine is actually getting quieter as the car breaks in. Unfortunately that's going hand in hand with my shifter getting worse as it breaks in lol
Old 7/11/14, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
These Mustang forums are filled with posts and threads about rear end noise in these rear ends. Either people are abusing the crap out of the cars or they are installing bad parts or the people setting up the rear end doesn't know what they are doing.

I have a 2014 GT with 7,400 miles on it. Since my car has an automatic, it has the 3.15 ratio. I've been getting some type of noise since about 5,000 miles. I took it in to Ford and they told me it was road noise or tire noise. Mine is mostly a roaring sound with a slight whine when I let off of the gas.

I even changed out the rear end fluid when the car had almost 4,000 miles on it when I installed my Ford aluminum diff cover. I put the Motorcraft 75W-140 fluid back in it with the Ford friction modifier.

I have never even spun the tires on this car so its not from abuse. I find it hard to believe that my tires are that noisy with only this few of miles on them.

This is one thing about this car I don't like because the noise starts getting on my nerves after awhile and the sound of my GT500 AB does not cover it up. I guess I'm going to wait awhile to take it back and let it get worse so that there won't be any doubt what the problem is.

OP, I hope they get you fixed up and that it stays that way.

Wayne
My car has never been raced and I do not drive it hard. It spends most of its time on the highway. I think it was just set up wrong when the gears were put in last time. How to do I prove that? I am just glad Ford stepped in and at least helped out.

I had no legal standing with the repair since the car and fix are out of warranty. At least this fix will have a 2 years warranty on it.
Old 7/11/14, 12:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
To bad you had trouble in the first place. Once rear gears are installed CORRECTLY they should last well over 100k miles. Someone didn't do the job just right.
Old 7/11/14, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
To bad you had trouble in the first place. Once rear gears are installed CORRECTLY they should last well over 100k miles. Someone didn't do the job just right.
TWICE!
Old 7/14/14, 09:25 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
Good news everyone! Ford Service called me back and they are going to pay for the majority of the fix. This is all I really wanted was for them to work with me since it was so close on mileage. Ford you have kept me as customer. Thanks again!!!!
That’s great news, SpeedCostsMoney! Thank you for the update!

Deysha
Old 7/15/14, 06:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a related question about warranty repairs... aren't repairs done under warranty during the original factory warranty period covered for the balance of the factory warranty or for 12,000 miles (whichever is longer)? If I have a warranty repair done after say 6,000 miles, that repair should be covered until 36,000 (or 60,000 for powertrain). Otherwise doing a warranty repair early effectively voids the factory warranty on that part.

If that is the case then the rear end was only 100 miles out of warranty, not 7,000 miles. That should have been well within the range of good will coverage.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 7/15/14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 7/15/14, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I have a related question about warranty repairs... aren't repairs done under warranty during the original factory warranty period covered for the balance of the factory warranty or for 12,000 miles (whichever is longer)? If I have a warranty repair done after say 6,000 miles, that repair should be covered until 36,000 (or 60,000 for powertrain). Otherwise doing a warranty repair early effectively voids the factory warranty on that part.

If that is the case then the rear end was only 100 miles out of warranty, not 7,000 miles. That should have been well within the range of good will coverage.
I would assume so. However, you would need to ask your service manager.

Just a quick note my car is now in the shop. I really hope is fixed this time.
Old 7/16/14, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
I would assume so. However, you would need to ask your service manager.

Just a quick note my car is now in the shop. I really hope is fixed this time.
I wasn't asking for myself. In your case, covering the first rear end repair under the balance of factory warranty (rather than just 12,000 miles) would mean the difference between it being 7,000+ miles beyond warranty (you're out of luck) or just 100 miles out of warranty (probably repaired as a goodwill adjustment).
Old 7/16/14, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
As with pretty much any warranty, you get whichever is longer. In his case, his longest warranty was the factory warranty. That makes him only 100mi. out of warranty, so I'm sure that's why they were willing to split the repair with him.
Old 7/16/14, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is pretty much what is going on.

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
As with pretty much any warranty, you get whichever is longer. In his case, his longest warranty was the factory warranty. That makes him only 100mi. out of warranty, so I'm sure that's why they were willing to split the repair with him.
Old 7/16/14, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No matter how one feels it should be....100 miles is out of warranty. At what mileage does a dealer "cut off" service under warranty? Yes, a good will repair is nice and it is just that, the dealers good will to do the repair. I know we all would like longer warranties and such but if you were the dealer, how many free repairs would you do and still keep your job....business.

I have asked and received these type repairs in the past and always approach the dealer with the attitude...."how can you help me"...... sometimes works, sometimes does not.
Old 7/23/14, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got the car back and it is running great.
Old 7/23/14, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts