Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diagnosed Transmission Whine Without Disassembling

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/11, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnosed Transmission Whine Without Disassembling

I took my car in because the transmission started whining in gears 1-4 under acceleration. The car was 4 days old with 380 miles on it.

At first the service manager brushed me off saying "Ford doesn't like to fix things that aren't actually broken unless they make noise for 1,000 miles". And I asked if I could at least have the tech drive my car. The tech actually asked me to drive and show him what it was doing. He said "WOW..." like three times on your two minute test drive and even said "thats so annoying". When we got back he asked the service manager to send in a call to the Ford hotline (some kind of email thing it wasn't a phone call). She said she would call back and let me know what Ford wanted to do.

After hearing all the "could not reproduce problem" and "its normal" comments people had gotten from dealers on here, I wasn't too optimistic.

I got a call a few days later that Ford wanted them to put some kinda of "chassis scopes" on the car to determine if the noise was coming from the trans or somewhere else and that if it was coming from the transmission they would have to "take it apart".

So today I dropped the car off and called at lunch for an update, I was told that they ordered a bearing for my transmission and it would be here tomorrow. I asked how they diagnosed a bad bearing and they guy couldn't tell me, so I figured I'd call after work and try to get the service manager.

I talked to the service manager in the afternoon who told me that the noise was definitely coming from the transmission, and they had told Ford. She said Ford told them which bearing was bad, and to take the transmission apart tomorrow and replace it when the bearing comes in. She said it was the #9 bearing (I'm not familiar enough with an MT82 to even know which one that is).

This kind of story is contrary to what I have read on the internet so far, and I wanted to share it. Ford acknowledged my whine was not normal, made sure it was the gear box, and even diagnosed the bad part without the dealer even working on my car. I am very curious to see if replacing this bearing fixes the whining noise. If it does this sounds more like a bad run of bearings and Ford is well aware of whats going on, but maybe they don't have traceability as to what bearings made it into what transmissions/cars?

Anyway I will update you guys tomorrow and hopefully my car is fixed and Ford is one step closer to a TSB for removing gear whine and maybe even the transmissions that have shifting problems.
Old 8/15/11, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hope that fixes the whine, not all dealers are bad.
Old 8/16/11, 05:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
keep us posted!
Old 8/16/11, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a good techs at your dealership.
Old 8/16/11, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I called at lunch and the bearing had just got in. She said as soon as he finished the car on his rack mine was going on. She said it still might be this afternoon, but they want to "be very thorough when going through the transmission" to make sure everything else is ok.

I'll update when theres something new.
Old 8/16/11, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

The whining is the MT82 for SURE. I swapped for a TR6060 and no more whine.
(loved the sound of the whine though!)
Old 8/16/11, 02:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by unas2k5
The whining is the MT82 for SURE. I swapped for a TR6060 and no more whine.
(loved the sound of the whine though!)
Old 8/16/11, 05:08 PM

My guess is that they use some form of audio spectrum analysis being that the engine and gears all operate within audable range based on engine RPM.

Every rotating component will have its own frequency.
Attached Thumbnails Diagnosed Transmission Whine Without Disassembling-spectrum_analyzer.jpg  
Old 8/16/11, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well whatever car was on the rack too longer than expected. My car should get started first thing in the morning and be dont "not too late in the day".

We will see....
Old 8/16/11, 09:31 PM
GT Member

I am curious about this as well. I have had the whine on my car for some time now so i took it into the dealer and they said the same thing. "Its not normal but the higher ups at Ford said its not bad enough to fix it yet. It needs to get worse before we can make it better."
All I know is that the noise is very annoying especially when i am trying to enjoy some good music and the sound is overpowering it. I really want to get this fixed so i figured i will wait a 1,000 miles and take it back in.
Old 8/17/11, 12:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies

LMAO What do you want pictures of?
Old 8/17/11, 12:17 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Old 8/17/11, 01:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

lol What are you waiting on?
Old 8/17/11, 02:16 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by unas2k5
lol What are you waiting on?
Just to find out what happens. I'll forget about the thread if I don't subscribe to it. I'm feeble minded.
Old 8/17/11, 10:28 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
I talked to the service manager in the afternoon who told me that the noise was definitely coming from the transmission, and they had told Ford. She said Ford told them which bearing was bad, and to take the transmission apart tomorrow and replace it when the bearing comes in. She said it was the #9 bearing (I'm not familiar enough with an MT82 to even know which one that is).

This kind of story is contrary to what I have read on the internet so far, and I wanted to share it. Ford acknowledged my whine was not normal, made sure it was the gear box, and even diagnosed the bad part without the dealer even working on my car. I am very curious to see if replacing this bearing fixes the whining noise. If it does this sounds more like a bad run of bearings and Ford is well aware of whats going on, but maybe they don't have traceability as to what bearings made it into what transmissions/cars?

Anyway I will update you guys tomorrow and hopefully my car is fixed and Ford is one step closer to a TSB for removing gear whine and maybe even the transmissions that have shifting problems.
There has been a production change on the MT-82. Among the new components are.... the shaft bearings. EDIT: On fordparts.com, the bearings were shown to be different last week, but it's not clear now. There are three different output shaft bearings listed. I believe these were listed with production dates previously, and that they were changed on the 25th.
The new trannies starting going in on July 25th.

New parts:
5th gear - countershaft
6th gear - countershaft
6th gear - output shaft

The other half of 5th gear is attached to the input shaft. That part is not listed on fordparts.com at the moment.

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/17/11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 8/17/11, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

which july 25th? 2010 or 2011
Old 8/17/11, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

subing
Old 8/17/11, 11:48 AM

Subscribed
Old 8/17/11, 02:55 PM