2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Color choice

Old 10/15/10, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Color choice

I love how the F150 color palette includes 13 different option while the Mustang only has 9.

http://www.oakridgeford.com/showroom...-150/Truck.htm

I would love to see a Blue Flame, Molten Orange, or even Tuexedo Black 5.0

I don't get why Ford has to limit us to color choices if they already have the paint codes in the system.

Last edited by SynisterGT; 10/15/10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10/15/10, 06:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They sell way more F150s than Mustangs. They probably do it to please the buyers. Less possible paint colors = cost savings. I wish you could pick from about 25 colors
Old 10/15/10, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Biggest reason is the Best Buy way that the process is run. There has to be a pretty decent 'on the lot' sales for any color... and dealerships don't generally order anything that's not as good a seller. Not everyone appreciates Molten Orange, for example, or my favorite...

...still no Emberglo.

Those of us that do... well, we're so minority there's no chance unless you have enough for a fleet buy... such as a Mary Kay pink car, or a Galveston Police car in seafoam green and white (well, used to be) THEN you can get it.

So they order the whites, blacks, reds, dark blues, tans, silvers... anything but yellow, purple, green (yes, even green is minor) and orange. The major colors you see on the lots are due to their ubiquitous nature: Everything goes with white or black, after all. And the way they want to push the sale, added to the way people want it TODAY... well, there's the reason in a nutshell: Best Buy. It's on the shelf!(tm?)

But the F150 has so much volume that even the odd colors have a chance, so you get it offered. That, and I wanna say the door handles, bumpers, etc, aren't body color, so only the plant has to paint stuff.

But that's a guess.
Old 10/15/10, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone for the response, it makes sense but it is still bs in my book.

All Ford has to do is just offer the color. No dealership has to buy it but they should still have it as an available option.

Any1 know a rough estimate of how much it would cost to get a 5.0 repainted, for example if I wanted CO or MO?
Old 10/15/10, 07:26 PM
Cobra R Member

That dealership is just up the street from me...kinda funny that a guy in New Orleans would search out a dealership so far away.

I agree that the color palette for the Mustang sucks and has sucked for 6+ years. There is just not enough choice and too many colors from the same color group (3 silvers, 2 reds, etc.). It would nice if they had a couple of offbeat colors- like the Challenger has.

Lava Red is going to be a new color for 2012 and you can match it with plum inserts in the seats.
Old 10/15/10, 07:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Good luck getting Molten Orange in anything but a Raptor though.
Old 10/15/10, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sigh... just be lucky you have as many color options as you do already. You could be a Nissan owner... for whatever reason Nissan likes to offer one or two colors and then a million different shades of gray.

New for 2011 on the 370Z is Gun Metallic.

Which is slightly darker than the 40th Anniversary Gray.

Which is slightly darker than Platinum Graphite.

Which is slightly darker than Machine Silver.

The color palette on the Mustang is pretty nice. Though I agree a Molten Orange or Blue Flame 5.0 would be pretty sweet!
Old 10/15/10, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Sigh... just be lucky you have as many color options as you do already. You could be a Nissan owner... for whatever reason Nissan likes to offer one or two colors and then a million different shades of gray.

New for 2011 on the 370Z is Gun Metallic.

Which is slightly darker than the 40th Anniversary Gray.

Which is slightly darker than Platinum Graphite.

Which is slightly darker than Machine Silver.

The color palette on the Mustang is pretty nice. Though I agree a Molten Orange or Blue Flame 5.0 would be pretty sweet!
All that Nissan gray bashing and you buy a Sterling Gray Mustang.
Old 10/15/10, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fire512
LOL I just realized this.
Old 10/15/10, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm with you on the Sterling Gray. In low light it looks subdued but in the sunlight with all of that metal flake it looks like you can reach into it up to your elbow.
Old 10/15/10, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
That dealership is just up the street from me...kinda funny that a guy in New Orleans would search out a dealership so far away.

I agree that the color palette for the Mustang sucks and has sucked for 6+ years. There is just not enough choice and too many colors from the same color group (3 silvers, 2 reds, etc.). It would nice if they had a couple of offbeat colors- like the Challenger has.

Lava Red is going to be a new color for 2012 and you can match it with plum inserts in the seats.
I actually just googled lave red and the paint code for it and that is what popped up. It looks nice but is to dark for me. This is why I want a CO, MO or Blue Flame. I want my car to stand out and the only choice for me is GB. I have yet to see a YB but I would buy a screaming yellow if it were available.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Good luck getting Molten Orange in anything but a Raptor though.
When I win the powerball I will get a MO Raptor.

Originally Posted by Fire512
Old 10/15/10, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I say a YB fiesta about two weeks ago. The yellow was too dull for my liking, yellow needs to be BOLD, not blah.
Old 10/16/10, 05:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
...I would love to see a Blue Flame, Molten Orange, or even Tuexedo Black 5.0.
I have a Tuxedo Black Taurus, and can't see it on a Mustang. A clean, black Mustang looks incredible... but there's a LOT going on with that TB when it's clean. It's 'distracting', and all that sparkly becomes the focus instead of the car. I hated that color on Fusions, but it looked good enough on the Taurus to suck me in. I'd kinda like to have that decision back.
Old 10/16/10, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
I love how the F150 color palette includes 13 different option while the Mustang only has 9.
<snip>
I don't get why Ford has to limit us to color choices if they already have the paint codes in the system.
Paint in the plant is stored in vats in a special area (paint kitchen) which is actually quite far away from the paint booths themselves.

Each and every colour has its own set of lines to the painting equipment.
At the plant that the Mustang is made, not only then are there lines for the Mustang colours, but the colours for the Mazda 6 which shares the same plant.

So colour selection is not limited to the number of colours available but instead how many colours the system is capable of delivering to the paint equipment.
Old 10/17/10, 07:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone else seen Ford's Mediterranean Blue? It's new for the 2011 Flex and Edge. I saw it in person a few days ago on an Edge at the Ford Dealership. It's **** nice, a blue-green whose level of greenness depends on the sun. If it were up to me, I'd offer it on the 2012 Mustang. Also replace the regular black with Tuxedo Black and swap out Grabber Blue for Grabber Orange, come 2012 MY.
Old 10/17/10, 07:42 PM
GTR Member

I'd like to see a Blue Flame Mustang as well. Also, Tuxedo Black would be a nice choice to break up the offerings a bit more. Aside from that, a Pearl White would be a nice choice as well.
Old 10/17/10, 07:44 PM
Cobra Member

Pearl White would be awesome!
Old 10/18/10, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RandyW
Has anyone else seen Ford's Mediterranean Blue? It's new for the 2011 Flex and Edge.
Yes, I work at the plant that makes the Edge and Flex and it's a beautiful colour. If they offered it I would have a difficult time choosing between that and the Kona Blue that I'm currently set on.
Old 10/18/10, 08:09 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Paint in the plant is stored in vats in a special area (paint kitchen) which is actually quite far away from the paint booths themselves.

Each and every colour has its own set of lines to the painting equipment.
At the plant that the Mustang is made, not only then are there lines for the Mustang colours, but the colours for the Mazda 6 which shares the same plant.

So colour selection is not limited to the number of colours available but instead how many colours the system is capable of delivering to the paint equipment.
Exactly, Mustangs are built in just one factory, while F-150's are built in more than one factory, so there is more available paint colors for F-150's.
Old 10/18/10, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'd like to see a Blue Flame Mustang as well. Also, Tuxedo Black would be a nice choice to break up the offerings a bit more. Aside from that, a Pearl White would be a nice choice as well.
+1 on the blue flame. It really looks nice on the fiestas and f150 trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Color choice