2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Base vs Premium GT

Old 5/14/12, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base vs Premium GT

What differences are there on the interior in a 2013? I test drove a base 2013 but the dealer didn't have a premium to compare it with.

Leather
Shaker 500
4.2 LCD
Ambient Lighting

I got those, is there a difference in the quality between the two?
Old 5/14/12, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a base 2012 and am 99% satisfied. I only wish I had hid's and you have them already standard equipment ! Grrrrr! I recommend save the cash for mods unless there's something in premium that you must have. I had the extra cash for tune, cai ,axle back ,and wheels. So i'm very happy with the base model.

Last edited by Mustang Mafia; 5/14/12 at 09:51 PM.
Old 5/14/12, 10:15 PM
GT Member

I guess I was just kinda disappointed by the interior because I was expecting all the stuff premium offers.
Old 5/15/12, 12:12 AM

Things you can't get with a base GT:

Comfort Package (includes Pony Projector)
Navigation and rear view camera
Glass Roof
Shaker Pro
Exterior Accessory packages (Side scoops, Rear spoiler, Window louvers)

At least I think I'm correct on this
Old 5/15/12, 12:53 AM
GT Member

I forgot premium "unlocks" everything. I think that's stupid.
Old 5/15/12, 04:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford is playing on words with Premium, but all it really means is leather and lighting.

I truly wish Ford would allow custom orders from individuals to be created, like a Base GT with the Interior Lighting, LCD, and Stereo upgrade, etc..

While I completely understand the economics behind the packaging, it's irritating to know that other cars in the market are seriously targeting a younger audience by allowing real customization of the cars.
Old 5/15/12, 05:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

IMO if you could option up a base gt then the premium would make no sense.
Old 5/15/12, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

For 2012, the Base GT had no Sync which was a deal breaker for me. From what I understand, Sync is standard on the 2013 Base GT. That and as mentioned, you can't really "option out" a base GT.
Old 5/15/12, 07:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
premium is a total waste of $$$. my '10 was a base and i actually liked the int. better, should've ordered another one for my '13 and saved thousands of dollars but didn't and got a premium , has nothing i can't live w/o..
might as well have just thrown $3500 in my BBQ and cooked some hamburgers with it, won't make that mistake again, otherwise the rest of the car is great
Old 5/15/12, 07:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671
While I completely understand the economics behind the packaging, it's irritating to know that other cars in the market are seriously targeting a younger audience by allowing real customization of the cars.
Such as what cars?
Old 5/15/12, 08:08 AM

When I was looking at '12s last week I was originally interested in a base GT with the only option being the brembo package. They had 3 premium GTs with Brembo and 2 in the color I wanted. I still wanted to sit in and feel a base interior so we opened up a base V6. I didnt sit in that car 15 seconds before i made up my mind on the premium. I thought I would like the stripped down feel of a base but I didnt. In the end, it's going to be your car; get what you like.
Old 5/15/12, 08:23 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jwood1284
When I was looking at '12s last week I was originally interested in a base GT with the only option being the brembo package. They had 3 premium GTs with Brembo and 2 in the color I wanted. I still wanted to sit in and feel a base interior so we opened up a base V6. I didnt sit in that car 15 seconds before i made up my mind on the premium. I thought I would like the stripped down feel of a base but I didnt. In the end, it's going to be your car; get what you like.
Jwood is right buy what you want. I bought a 13 premium because it has everything I wanted and the base didn't I am finally paying for the car I wanted
Old 5/15/12, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I looked at it this way - I was gonna change a bunch of stuff anyway, so there was no point in paying too much - twice. Of course, I got a V6 base, but the same thought process applies. You can always add the Premium stuff later from a wrecked car, right? And it will cost less, right?
Old 5/15/12, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
I looked at it this way - I was gonna change a bunch of stuff anyway, so there was no point in paying too much - twice. Of course, I got a V6 base, but the same thought process applies. You can always add the Premium stuff later from a wrecked car, right? And it will cost less, right?
If you plan on keeping forever...not a bad idea...I wouldn't do it, but its your car.

If you plan on ever selling the car, you will get nothing for what you added. A premium GT will always sell for more than a base GT that has been pieced together.

Bottom line is that it is your money. I bought a GT/CS because it had EVERYTHING I wanted, and was much cheaper than trying to add all of the extras later. If you are going to make payments...why pay for something every month that you are not happy with
Old 5/15/12, 10:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x2 ^^^

While the premium option may not be of any issue to you NOW, think about trade in value. Take a look at the used car values in the books that are out there; a "base" model verses one with some options (or in this case, the premium package) is going to net you a better re-sale value when it comes time to buy again.
Old 5/15/12, 10:30 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Sync is NOT standard in the 2013 Base car it is AVAILABLE. it requires the 301A package to get it and it cost around $1195 or so.
Old 5/15/12, 02:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I paid $25,000 for my 2004 Crown Vic Sport, and when I traded it in a couple of months ago, it was eight years old and had 107K miles on it, but was in real real nice shape. The sales guy even commented that it still had a bit of new-car smell, yet I still only got $3500 for trade-in, and it was the top-of-the-line Crown Vic. I probably could easily have sold the car myself for $5-7k, but time was pressing because I didn't want a 2013, and the available Performance White 2012's were disappearing fast.

Trade-in is never a concern to me because I've done this too many times before. I wouldn't bother taking off all the mods before selling it, either. It would be way too much of a hassle, and besides, I'd have to keep my OEM parts around, and that simply ain't gonna happen because I don't have the space to store them. If I REALLY wanted a new car (and needed to trade/sell the Mustang in to accomplish that goal), I'd sell the Mustang myself and avoid letting the dealer tell me that they don't value the car as highly as i do.

Final point, I tend to keep my cars for a long time (way beyond the last payment). I wanted a Mustang, but I didn't want big payments, so I got the absolute cheapest one they had on the lot, and financed it for 75 months to make the payments as low as possible ($338). When the first payment came due this month, I made six payments at the same time, because right now, I can afford to. The low payment target was because I didn't want to have to give up the car if the economy took a broader downward turn. If the economy stays near what it is, and I don't lose my job before then, the car should be paid off in a few years.

Now, here I sit with a base V6, but I could also afford to make it LOOK the way I wanted, and have so far dropped over $11k on that endeavor. I don't need it to go faster or be louder, so I'm content with appearance. If I had gotten the Premium version, it would have been $8k more expensive, and that would have soaked up all of my mod budget, and I didn't see any value in the stuff I wouldn't use, such as being able to talk to the car via Sync, the boom-box stereo, or even the ability to control the stereo volume from the wheel.

I'm making the car into what I want, not what Ford or someone else else thinks I should have. If I have to sell it in the future, someone with the same tastes will come along and happily buy it. I'm not worried.
Old 5/15/12, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I paid $25,000 for my 2004 Crown Vic Sport, and when I traded it in a couple of months ago, it was eight years old and had 107K miles on it, but was in real real nice shape. The sales guy even commented that it still had a bit of new-car smell, yet I still only got $3500 for trade-in, and it was the top-of-the-line Crown Vic. I probably could easily have sold the car myself for $5-7k, but time was pressing because I didn't want a 2013, and the available Performance White 2012's were disappearing fast.

Trade-in is never a concern to me because I've done this too many times before. I wouldn't bother taking off all the mods before selling it, either. It would be way too much of a hassle, and besides, I'd have to keep my OEM parts around, and that simply ain't gonna happen because I don't have the space to store them. If I REALLY wanted a new car (and needed to trade/sell the Mustang in to accomplish that goal), I'd sell the Mustang myself and avoid letting the dealer tell me that they don't value the car as highly as i do.

Final point, I tend to keep my cars for a long time (way beyond the last payment). I wanted a Mustang, but I didn't want big payments, so I got the absolute cheapest one they had on the lot, and financed it for 75 months to make the payments as low as possible ($338). When the first payment came due this month, I made six payments at the same time, because right now, I can afford to. The low payment target was because I didn't want to have to give up the car if the economy took a broader downward turn. If the economy stays near what it is, and I don't lose my job before then, the car should be paid off in a few years.

Now, here I sit with a base V6, but I could also afford to make it LOOK the way I wanted, and have so far dropped over $11k on that endeavor. I don't need it to go faster or be louder, so I'm content with appearance. If I had gotten the Premium version, it would have been $8k more expensive, and that would have soaked up all of my mod budget, and I didn't see any value in the stuff I wouldn't use, such as being able to talk to the car via Sync, the boom-box stereo, or even the ability to control the stereo volume from the wheel.

I'm making the car into what I want, not what Ford or someone else else thinks I should have. If I have to sell it in the future, someone with the same tastes will come along and happily buy it. I'm not worried.
And this post is really what it's all about. The best one of this thread.
Old 5/15/12, 03:33 PM

Buy what you want. Do not count on getting more back in the future. You will have to live with the car and if there was an item you really wanted in the Premium option and you buy a base version it will bug you for the life of the car.
Old 5/15/12, 03:42 PM

How can the premium pkg be $8000 more?????? It's $3999 or $3495 right??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base vs Premium GT