Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2010-2014 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2010-2014 Mustang News of the Current Generation Mustang
Sponsored By: CARiD

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 5/14/12, 9:44 PM   #1
GT Member
 
ShadowFox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 11, 2012
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 105
F150
Base vs Premium GT

What differences are there on the interior in a 2013? I test drove a base 2013 but the dealer didn't have a premium to compare it with.

Leather
Shaker 500
4.2 LCD
Ambient Lighting

I got those, is there a difference in the quality between the two?
ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/14/12, 9:49 PM   #2
Bullitt Member
 

Join Date: December 7, 2011
Posts: 319
I have a base 2012 and am 99% satisfied. I only wish I had hid's and you have them already standard equipment ! Grrrrr! I recommend save the cash for mods unless there's something in premium that you must have. I had the extra cash for tune, cai ,axle back ,and wheels. So i'm very happy with the base model.

Last edited by Mustang Mafia; 5/14/12 at 9:51 PM.
Mustang Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/14/12, 10:15 PM   #3
GT Member
 
ShadowFox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 11, 2012
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 105
F150
I guess I was just kinda disappointed by the interior because I was expecting all the stuff premium offers.
ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 12:12 AM   #4
Member
 
LightStang's Avatar
 

Join Date: February 7, 2012
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Posts: 38
Things you can't get with a base GT:

Comfort Package (includes Pony Projector)
Navigation and rear view camera
Glass Roof
Shaker Pro
Exterior Accessory packages (Side scoops, Rear spoiler, Window louvers)

At least I think I'm correct on this
LightStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 12:53 AM   #5
GT Member
 
ShadowFox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 11, 2012
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 105
F150
I forgot premium "unlocks" everything. I think that's stupid.
ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 4:43 AM   #6
Mach 1 Member
 

Join Date: July 26, 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 617
2014 Mustang 5.0 6AT
Ford is playing on words with Premium, but all it really means is leather and lighting.

I truly wish Ford would allow custom orders from individuals to be created, like a Base GT with the Interior Lighting, LCD, and Stereo upgrade, etc..

While I completely understand the economics behind the packaging, it's irritating to know that other cars in the market are seriously targeting a younger audience by allowing real customization of the cars.
__________________
2014 Mustang 5.0 - Ruby Red - 6AT - #14
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 5:09 AM   #7
Mach 1 Member
 
hahnsolo78's Avatar
 
nate

Join Date: January 14, 2011
Location: minnesota
Posts: 594
2011 mustang gt
Garage
IMO if you could option up a base gt then the premium would make no sense.
hahnsolo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 6:55 AM   #8
Bullitt Member
 
Reminisce's Avatar
 
Anthony

Join Date: April 15, 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 489
2012 GT
Send a message via AIM to Reminisce
For 2012, the Base GT had no Sync which was a deal breaker for me. From what I understand, Sync is standard on the 2013 Base GT. That and as mentioned, you can't really "option out" a base GT.
__________________
2012 GT Premium PW, MT82 - 5/9/2012
Dark Grey 10" Stripes, Hood Pins, RetroSolutions 35w HID, SVT GT500 Axle backs w/o resonators, JLT CAI, Bama 93 Race tune
2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan - totaled
2006 Black Mustang GT - Sadly, SOLD
Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 7:38 AM   #9
Cobra R Member
 
cinque35's Avatar
 
Sal

Join Date: February 9, 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 1,741
2013
premium is a total waste of $$$. my '10 was a base and i actually liked the int. better, should've ordered another one for my '13 and saved thousands of dollars but didn't and got a premium , has nothing i can't live w/o..
might as well have just thrown $3500 in my BBQ and cooked some hamburgers with it, won't make that mistake again, otherwise the rest of the car is great
cinque35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 7:45 AM   #10
Cobra Member
 
kylerohde's Avatar
 
Kyle

Join Date: September 6, 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,089
2011 Ford Mustang GT coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
While I completely understand the economics behind the packaging, it's irritating to know that other cars in the market are seriously targeting a younger audience by allowing real customization of the cars.
Such as what cars?
__________________
Kyle R - Kansas City, MO www.kylerohde.com
  • "Lucy", a 2011 Mustang GT premium coupe - 6MT, Race Red, 35/20% tint, Borla S-Type Axlebacks
  • Wife's Car, "Dory": 2008 Mazda Mazda3s GT hatch
kylerohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 8:08 AM   #11
Member
 
Jeremy

Join Date: May 13, 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 6
Ford
When I was looking at '12s last week I was originally interested in a base GT with the only option being the brembo package. They had 3 premium GTs with Brembo and 2 in the color I wanted. I still wanted to sit in and feel a base interior so we opened up a base V6. I didnt sit in that car 15 seconds before i made up my mind on the premium. I thought I would like the stripped down feel of a base but I didnt. In the end, it's going to be your car; get what you like.
jwood1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 8:23 AM   #12
GT Member
 
RaceRedGT's Avatar
 
Mike

Join Date: May 1, 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 160
Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood1284
When I was looking at '12s last week I was originally interested in a base GT with the only option being the brembo package. They had 3 premium GTs with Brembo and 2 in the color I wanted. I still wanted to sit in and feel a base interior so we opened up a base V6. I didnt sit in that car 15 seconds before i made up my mind on the premium. I thought I would like the stripped down feel of a base but I didnt. In the end, it's going to be your car; get what you like.
Jwood is right buy what you want. I bought a 13 premium because it has everything I wanted and the base didn't I am finally paying for the car I wanted
RaceRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 9:40 AM   #13
Mach 1 Member
 
jsimmons's Avatar
 

Join Date: April 23, 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 715
I looked at it this way - I was gonna change a bunch of stuff anyway, so there was no point in paying too much - twice. Of course, I got a V6 base, but the same thought process applies. You can always add the Premium stuff later from a wrecked car, right? And it will cost less, right?
jsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 9:51 AM   #14
Bullitt Member
 
n4agoodtyme's Avatar
 

Join Date: August 5, 2007
Location: KC MO
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
I looked at it this way - I was gonna change a bunch of stuff anyway, so there was no point in paying too much - twice. Of course, I got a V6 base, but the same thought process applies. You can always add the Premium stuff later from a wrecked car, right? And it will cost less, right?
If you plan on keeping forever...not a bad idea...I wouldn't do it, but its your car.

If you plan on ever selling the car, you will get nothing for what you added. A premium GT will always sell for more than a base GT that has been pieced together.

Bottom line is that it is your money. I bought a GT/CS because it had EVERYTHING I wanted, and was much cheaper than trying to add all of the extras later. If you are going to make payments...why pay for something every month that you are not happy with
__________________
Current Ride: 2012 BOSS 302 #1087


Past Mustangs: 1993 5.0 LX Vert, 1999 V6, 2001 Stage 1 Roush, 2001 GT, 2004 GT, 2008 GT/CS, 2013 GT/CS
n4agoodtyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 10:08 AM   #15
Cobra Member
 
Bucko's Avatar
 

Join Date: December 4, 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,400
2011 Mustang Coupe
x2 ^^^

While the premium option may not be of any issue to you NOW, think about trade in value. Take a look at the used car values in the books that are out there; a "base" model verses one with some options (or in this case, the premium package) is going to net you a better re-sale value when it comes time to buy again.
__________________
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 10:30 AM   #16
Team Mustang Source
 
MyStang2010GB's Avatar
 
David

Join Date: September 8, 2009
Location: Lithia, FL
Posts: 2,303
2013 Ford F150 FX2
The Sync is NOT standard in the 2013 Base car it is AVAILABLE. it requires the 301A package to get it and it cost around $1195 or so.
__________________
USAF (Ret) F-15 Avionics Systems
Gas Turbine Controls Systems Engineer (Current)
Current Rides:
* 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium in DIB with Leather Recaros, 3.73 gears, Brembo pkg and pedestal spoiler
* 2014 Ford Fusion Tuxedo Black Titanium w/2.0L EcoBoost, Leather, , Nav, Moonroof

Previous:
2013 Shelby GT500 w/SVTPP and Glass Roof
2012 Boss 302 #0903 in YellowBlaze
MyStang2010GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 2:22 PM   #17
Mach 1 Member
 
jsimmons's Avatar
 

Join Date: April 23, 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 715
I paid $25,000 for my 2004 Crown Vic Sport, and when I traded it in a couple of months ago, it was eight years old and had 107K miles on it, but was in real real nice shape. The sales guy even commented that it still had a bit of new-car smell, yet I still only got $3500 for trade-in, and it was the top-of-the-line Crown Vic. I probably could easily have sold the car myself for $5-7k, but time was pressing because I didn't want a 2013, and the available Performance White 2012's were disappearing fast.

Trade-in is never a concern to me because I've done this too many times before. I wouldn't bother taking off all the mods before selling it, either. It would be way too much of a hassle, and besides, I'd have to keep my OEM parts around, and that simply ain't gonna happen because I don't have the space to store them. If I REALLY wanted a new car (and needed to trade/sell the Mustang in to accomplish that goal), I'd sell the Mustang myself and avoid letting the dealer tell me that they don't value the car as highly as i do.

Final point, I tend to keep my cars for a long time (way beyond the last payment). I wanted a Mustang, but I didn't want big payments, so I got the absolute cheapest one they had on the lot, and financed it for 75 months to make the payments as low as possible ($338). When the first payment came due this month, I made six payments at the same time, because right now, I can afford to. The low payment target was because I didn't want to have to give up the car if the economy took a broader downward turn. If the economy stays near what it is, and I don't lose my job before then, the car should be paid off in a few years.

Now, here I sit with a base V6, but I could also afford to make it LOOK the way I wanted, and have so far dropped over $11k on that endeavor. I don't need it to go faster or be louder, so I'm content with appearance. If I had gotten the Premium version, it would have been $8k more expensive, and that would have soaked up all of my mod budget, and I didn't see any value in the stuff I wouldn't use, such as being able to talk to the car via Sync, the boom-box stereo, or even the ability to control the stereo volume from the wheel.

I'm making the car into what I want, not what Ford or someone else else thinks I should have. If I have to sell it in the future, someone with the same tastes will come along and happily buy it. I'm not worried.
jsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 2:36 PM   #18
Cobra Member
 
Bucko's Avatar
 

Join Date: December 4, 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,400
2011 Mustang Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
I paid $25,000 for my 2004 Crown Vic Sport, and when I traded it in a couple of months ago, it was eight years old and had 107K miles on it, but was in real real nice shape. The sales guy even commented that it still had a bit of new-car smell, yet I still only got $3500 for trade-in, and it was the top-of-the-line Crown Vic. I probably could easily have sold the car myself for $5-7k, but time was pressing because I didn't want a 2013, and the available Performance White 2012's were disappearing fast.

Trade-in is never a concern to me because I've done this too many times before. I wouldn't bother taking off all the mods before selling it, either. It would be way too much of a hassle, and besides, I'd have to keep my OEM parts around, and that simply ain't gonna happen because I don't have the space to store them. If I REALLY wanted a new car (and needed to trade/sell the Mustang in to accomplish that goal), I'd sell the Mustang myself and avoid letting the dealer tell me that they don't value the car as highly as i do.

Final point, I tend to keep my cars for a long time (way beyond the last payment). I wanted a Mustang, but I didn't want big payments, so I got the absolute cheapest one they had on the lot, and financed it for 75 months to make the payments as low as possible ($338). When the first payment came due this month, I made six payments at the same time, because right now, I can afford to. The low payment target was because I didn't want to have to give up the car if the economy took a broader downward turn. If the economy stays near what it is, and I don't lose my job before then, the car should be paid off in a few years.

Now, here I sit with a base V6, but I could also afford to make it LOOK the way I wanted, and have so far dropped over $11k on that endeavor. I don't need it to go faster or be louder, so I'm content with appearance. If I had gotten the Premium version, it would have been $8k more expensive, and that would have soaked up all of my mod budget, and I didn't see any value in the stuff I wouldn't use, such as being able to talk to the car via Sync, the boom-box stereo, or even the ability to control the stereo volume from the wheel.

I'm making the car into what I want, not what Ford or someone else else thinks I should have. If I have to sell it in the future, someone with the same tastes will come along and happily buy it. I'm not worried.
And this post is really what it's all about. The best one of this thread.
__________________
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 3:33 PM   #19
Member
 
Vanwall's Avatar
 

Join Date: February 15, 2012
Posts: 12
Buy what you want. Do not count on getting more back in the future. You will have to live with the car and if there was an item you really wanted in the Premium option and you buy a base version it will bug you for the life of the car.
__________________
2012 GTCS. 6 Spd 3.55
1994 GT convertible 5 spd 3.73 SOLD
Vanwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 3:42 PM   #20
Member
 

Join Date: February 2, 2011
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
I paid $25,000 for my 2004 Crown Vic Sport, and when I traded it in a couple of months ago, it was eight years old and had 107K miles on it, but was in real real nice shape. The sales guy even commented that it still had a bit of new-car smell, yet I still only got $3500 for trade-in, and it was the top-of-the-line Crown Vic. I probably could easily have sold the car myself for $5-7k, but time was pressing because I didn't want a 2013, and the available Performance White 2012's were disappearing fast.

Trade-in is never a concern to me because I've done this too many times before. I wouldn't bother taking off all the mods before selling it, either. It would be way too much of a hassle, and besides, I'd have to keep my OEM parts around, and that simply ain't gonna happen because I don't have the space to store them. If I REALLY wanted a new car (and needed to trade/sell the Mustang in to accomplish that goal), I'd sell the Mustang myself and avoid letting the dealer tell me that they don't value the car as highly as i do.

Final point, I tend to keep my cars for a long time (way beyond the last payment). I wanted a Mustang, but I didn't want big payments, so I got the absolute cheapest one they had on the lot, and financed it for 75 months to make the payments as low as possible ($338). When the first payment came due this month, I made six payments at the same time, because right now, I can afford to. The low payment target was because I didn't want to have to give up the car if the economy took a broader downward turn. If the economy stays near what it is, and I don't lose my job before then, the car should be paid off in a few years.

Now, here I sit with a base V6, but I could also afford to make it LOOK the way I wanted, and have so far dropped over $11k on that endeavor. I don't need it to go faster or be louder, so I'm content with appearance. If I had gotten the Premium version, it would have been $8k more expensive, and that would have soaked up all of my mod budget, and I didn't see any value in the stuff I wouldn't use, such as being able to talk to the car via Sync, the boom-box stereo, or even the ability to control the stereo volume from the wheel.

I'm making the car into what I want, not what Ford or someone else else thinks I should have. If I have to sell it in the future, someone with the same tastes will come along and happily buy it. I'm not worried.
How can the premium pkg be $8000 more?????? It's $3999 or $3495 right??
nycuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/15/12, 3:42 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

Sponsors



 

MotM Winners
December 2012 MotM Winner November 2012 MotM Winner September 2012 MotM Winner August 2012 MotM Winner

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:27 AM.


Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.