2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Base Radio Swap for Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/12, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base Radio Swap for Navigation

I have a base model 2010 GT without Sync and was wondering if anyone knew what it would take to get the factory style navigation setup. If anyone knows the part numbers from Ford that would be great and also if I would need the sync setup to make it work. (If I would also need the sync, what part numbers would correspond to that). My goal is to have an in dash navigation system, but Im not a fan of the kits that put the unit down towards the shifter, it seems like an odd place to look for the directions.
Old 2/1/12, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by c.duymich
I have a base model 2010 GT without Sync and was wondering if anyone knew what it would take to get the factory style navigation setup. If anyone knows the part numbers from Ford that would be great and also if I would need the sync setup to make it work. (If I would also need the sync, what part numbers would correspond to that). My goal is to have an in dash navigation system, but Im not a fan of the kits that put the unit down towards the shifter, it seems like an odd place to look for the directions.
There was a thread on here where a ford rep weighed in and stated that it would be VERY expensive to install SYNC into a car. Would be cheaper to trade in and get one with it pre-installed. SYNC isn't only nav, so you'd also need to change out other aspects of the car. I am like you though and too lazy to search for it. But I know it's there...somewhere...
Old 2/1/12, 10:28 PM

Im not really interested in the sync feature, I really just want the navigation system.
Old 2/2/12, 12:02 AM

Im not really interested in the sync feature, I really just want the navigation system.
Metra Dash Kit and a Double-Din Navi Head Unit if your choice. I chose a Pioneer and love it. Just an option. Hope that helps.
Old 2/2/12, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the tip, is there any problem with actually using the system since its so close to the shifter? With that kit, it seems that it would be really low and in front of your knuckles when shifting.
Old 2/2/12, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the tip, is there any problem with actually using the system since its so close to the shifter? With that kit, it seems that it would be really low and in front of your knuckles when shifting.
It's very rare that I change the radio station by mistake but it does happen, it being a touch screen and all. I have found that in my laziness, leaving the charge cord for my phone dangling near the radio also changes the station. I either remove it or plug my phone in - like I am suppose to do...lol.

I don't think it's a huge problem. Definitely not concerned during regular shifting.
Old 2/2/12, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by a50cobra
It's very rare that I change the radio station by mistake but it does happen, it being a touch screen and all. I have found that in my laziness, leaving the charge cord for my phone dangling near the radio also changes the station. I either remove it or plug my phone in - like I am suppose to do...lol.

I don't think it's a huge problem. Definitely not concerned during regular shifting.
Thanks for the help! Is there anyway you could send me a picture of what the finished product looks like? Its just such an expensive change, that I want to be sure in the end it looks good. My email is my member name at gmail.com.
Old 2/2/12, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the help! Is there anyway you could send me a picture of what the finished product looks like? Its just such an expensive change, that I want to be sure in the end it looks good. My email is my member name at gmail.com.
These were taken with my phone, so they are not the best. The second one is to illustrate how you don't have to worry about reaching the screen while shifting. I was in 1st gear there. Of course YMMV if you shift with your fingers extended for some reason .
Head unit also plays DVDs, is an SD card reader, and has a jack for your IPhone/IPod. The price on that link is Pioneer's FULL retail price. I've seen it for much less.
Attached Thumbnails Base Radio Swap for Navigation-imag0478.jpg   Base Radio Swap for Navigation-imag0479.jpg  

Last edited by a50cobra; 2/2/12 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, and the Bluetooth allows for handsfree phone calls.
Old 2/3/12, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by a50cobra
These were taken with my phone, so they are not the best. The second one is to illustrate how you don't have to worry about reaching the screen while shifting. I was in 1st gear there. Of course YMMV if you shift with your fingers extended for some reason .
Head unit also plays DVDs, is an SD card reader, and has a jack for your IPhone/IPod. The price on that link is Pioneer's FULL retail price. I've seen it for much less.
Thanks for the pics! It looks pretty slick. Ill be keeping my eyes open for the right nav system for my tastes. Does the color of the plastic from the metro kit match up pretty well with the color of the stock OEM plastic and did you have to purchase any adapters when installing your setup, like wire harnesses or antenna cables?
Old 4/29/12, 10:53 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I upgrade to this radio unit and buy the steering wheel with the control functions will it be compatible?
Old 4/30/12, 12:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I'm a little late to the party and this is a bad picture. Here is a shot of my Kenwood DNX9980HD. By far my favorite stereo I've ever owned and wouldn't go oem for the navigation. This thing could run OBDII diagnostics in real time if I wanted it to..
Attached Thumbnails Base Radio Swap for Navigation-image-2016119227.jpg  
Old 4/30/12, 04:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Install an aftermarket, non-factory, radio raises the risk of break-in to your car, and will cost about $500+ depending on what you choose.

If you simply install a bracket for a smart phone that has better navigation than any radio will offer, $50.

Or is you don't like your phone, get a GPS unit that mounts to a suction cup mount on the windshield that can be quickly plugged in to become functional.

If I were looking to add navigation to any car, the last thing I would choose is to install a Navaigation radio. My choice would be navigation via smart phone.

Last edited by kn7671; 4/30/12 at 04:25 AM.
Old 4/30/12, 05:49 AM
Cobra Member

There have been a few that are not happy with the factory maps that come with the factory Nav system. There was an update released not too long ago; perhaps this addressed the issue of the maps being out of date.

As it has been discussed before, buying an aftermarket GPS for hundreds less a better solution, unless you just gotta have the factory setup. I like the sync option on my non nav setup, so spending the bucks to make it a factory nav with sync is not worth it to me, as my hundred buck tom tom works great, and downloading the latest maps is easy as well.
Old 6/1/12, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by MUSTANGfan2010
If I upgrade to this radio unit and buy the steering wheel with the control functions will it be compatible?
Unfortunately, no the steering wheel will not function the head unit. There may be some additional wiring and hardware that can accomplish this, but I don't think it was worth the additional effort and money. Just my $0.02
Old 6/1/12, 09:56 AM
INKY

Yes, I have the same set-up as does another one of the owners here. I still have to mess with mine, just haven't had the time. Love the stereo, but cannot speak to the maps as I am in Germany and they don't work here. Last Pioneer I had I didn't have any issues with though.

Here is the link to the thread for my install: https://themustangsource.com/f803/pi...nstall-503772/

And here is a little better picture.

Base Radio Swap for Navigation-image-3707472581.jpg

Last edited by Boss 1409; 6/1/12 at 10:04 AM.
Old 6/2/12, 12:39 AM
GT Member

There are a couple companies that make steering wheel button adapters. I like the PAC brand ones. They make an interface for the different brand radios. Pioneer/Sony is SWI-PS, JVC/Alpine/Clarion/Kenwood etc is SWI-JACK. You have to mess with some jumpers and program it for your radio, but it's not too bad if you take your time and read the directions.

Since you can do a plug and play swap with a premium steering wheel and the shaker500 and the buttons work, I would assume the wiring harness is there and you could do the same with an aftermarket stereo and a PAC adapter.