2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody else have this knock???

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/14, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody else have this knock???

I just got the first oil change on my 2014 GT. I noticed that now during warm startups it will knock and then go away. I brought it back to Ford and they said that the 5.4L do the same thing. The tech explained that with the variable cam timing, it will lose oil pressure causing a "dry start". They said it would be fine, but it doesnt seem right to me with only 4k miles on the engine. I do have some mods and before the oil change warm startups were no problem. I am wondering if anyone else has this issue and if so what can be done about it?

I have an Airaid CAI with a 89 octance Bama performance tune and Pypes cat-back.

Thanks!
Old 7/25/14, 05:48 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangJake5.0
I just got the first oil change on my 2014 GT. I noticed that now during warm startups it will knock and then go away. I brought it back to Ford and they said that the 5.4L do the same thing. The tech explained that with the variable cam timing, it will lose oil pressure causing a "dry start". They said it would be fine, but it doesnt seem right to me with only 4k miles on the engine. I do have some mods and before the oil change warm startups were no problem. I am wondering if anyone else has this issue and if so what can be done about it? I have an Airaid CAI with a 89 octance Bama performance tune and Pypes cat-back. Thanks!
Smarter folks can chime in here...but the fact that you have a Bama, and 89 tune, isn't helping.
Old 7/25/14, 07:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I just got the first oil change on my 2014 GT. I noticed that now during warm startups it will knock and then go away. I brought it back to Ford and they said that the 5.4L do the same thing. The tech explained that with the variable cam timing, it will lose oil pressure causing a "dry start". They said it would be fine, but it doesnt seem right to me with only 4k miles on the engine. I do have some mods and before the oil change warm startups were no problem. I am wondering if anyone else has this issue and if so what can be done about it?

I have an Airaid CAI with a 89 octance Bama performance tune and Pypes cat-back.

Thanks!
Hey Jake,

That's a first hearing about this on my end. Are you experiencing this when you're set back to stock? Let me know how I can help or feel free to shoot Bama a call directly at 888.226.9764 if you would like to speak with a tuner directly!

Alex
Old 7/25/14, 09:07 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks!
Hello MustangJake5.0,

Welcome to the forum! You are also always welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealer. If you chose to do so, let me know so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 7/25/14, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks!
I'm calling BS on that statement.
Old 7/25/14, 01:32 PM

I will warm it up and return it to stock and see if it still happens. Im hoping it is something that can be adjusted. If not, how picky are most dealers about SCT tunes? The guys I spoke to at mine didn't care, but then again look at the answer they gave me lol..
Old 7/25/14, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
They probably put an oil filter in with out the Anti-Drain Back Valve or it is not working. It has happened to me before in other cars.
Old 7/25/14, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
They probably put an oil filter in with out the Anti-Drain Back Valve or it is not working. It has happened to me before in other cars.
I never really paid attention to oil filters cause I never had to. What exactly am I looking for? Or if you have an opinion what has worked the best for the Coyotes?
Old 7/25/14, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would use the factory Motorcraft FL 500s filter. That is what I used when I changed my oil and I have no funny noises. I also used Motorcraft 5W-20 oil.
Old 7/25/14, 08:22 PM

Thank you everyone for helping me out. I'm going to do an oil change tomorrow and see if a different filter works better.
Old 7/25/14, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I never really paid attention to oil filters cause I never had to. What exactly am I looking for? Or if you have an opinion what has worked the best for the Coyotes?
My car has had Motorcraft. K&N, and Purolator on it. No noticeable differences. I have a hard time thinking the filter is to blame.
Old 7/25/14, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
My car has had Motorcraft. K&N, and Purolator on it. No noticeable differences. I have a hard time thinking the filter is to blame.
From my understanding the anti drain back valve could've failed. So changing the oil filter is a cheap way to diagnose and even fix the problem. If I do this and the knock still occurs then I'll bring it in. If not then I know that what ever the dealership used is crap. From everyone's response and what I've read online this does seem to be the likely problem.