2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Adding OEM reverse camera after purchase

Old 9/10/11, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding OEM reverse camera after purchase

Hey guys,

I bought a new 2012 GT Premium, and I've been tooling around in it for a few days, and I've decided that I really want my reverse camera back (had it in my truck, and it's become kind of a crutch).

Has anyone ordered the parts (spoiler w/ camera and the mirror w/ screen) and installed the system? I'm pretty technical-minded, so assuming that the wiring harnesses are in place I should be able to get everything installed myself.
Old 9/10/11, 12:49 PM

That's a good question. I've got a '11 GT and I've wondered how hard it would be. My windows are tinted pretty dark and backing up is challenging.
Old 9/10/11, 01:05 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camera is built into it's own special rear spoiler so you would have to have that first, then if you don't have Nav you would also have to get the special rear view mirror with the built-in screen and then run the harnesses for the camera and mirror.

I'm sure it would cost a fortune and be a royal PITA to install it all.
Old 9/10/11, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I could relocate it on my car so I could use a different spoiler
Old 9/10/11, 01:46 PM

I am getting ready to add the camera to my 2010 with Nav. The spoiler in primer with camera is about $375. Some cars with Nav already have the camera wiring (mine doens't). In addition, the NAV units are locked by VIN and you can't just add the camera. I searched around and a couple of the GT500 folks got them working by getting the VIN for a Mustang of the same year with the same options and having the dealer use that VIN to enable the camera.

For me I found a spoiler/camera on eBay after searching for a year (even in the correct color). I am adding the wiring my self as soon as the weather is a bit cooler and using a LOCKPICK to enable the camera. I have the OEM camera wiring diagram in PDF if anybody needs a copy.
Old 9/10/11, 03:48 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
I wish I could relocate it on my car so I could use a different spoiler
I'm sure you could. The oem camera probably doesn't wire up any different than any reverse angle mini video camera. You could get a aftermarket camera like they use in add-on backup cameras and mount it to the back of your car and hook it up to the stock wiring. They have cameras that mount to one of the license plate bolts.

Then all you need to do is make sure that whatever spoiler you want to run covers the holes left in your decklid.
Old 9/10/11, 06:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by seenbag
Hey guys,

I bought a new 2012 GT Premium, and I've been tooling around in it for a few days, and I've decided that I really want my reverse camera back (had it in my truck, and it's become kind of a crutch).

Has anyone ordered the parts (spoiler w/ camera and the mirror w/ screen) and installed the system? I'm pretty technical-minded, so assuming that the wiring harnesses are in place I should be able to get everything installed myself.
After looking to do this to my 2010 and looking at the prices on components, I decided it was not feasible to it. If I remember right just the 2 wiring harnesses you need were about $350, the review mirror lists for $800 and another $335 for the spoiler plus paint.
Might be cheaper to get an aftermarket set up.
Old 9/10/11, 09:52 PM
GTR Member

Tons cheaper to go aftermarket but then of course it isn't built in.
Old 9/11/11, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you have Nav, google Sync Lockpick. It allows you to add one or even two cameras to the stock nav display. Among other things.
Old 9/11/11, 09:50 PM
GT Member

And if you don't have nav, you can always go aftermarket with a built in one. (This one comes with a free backup camera).

Link
Attached Images  
Old 9/12/11, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

there is a really great thread on adding a backup camera on the F150 forums: http://www.f150forum.com/f38/09-rear-view-camera-18468/

B/c the back of our cars are so high up, I never got a good feel for depth and didn't like the spoiler-mounted cameras. I ended up buying a small aftermarket camera that mounts just above the license plate. Nearly invisible and looks factory.

I don't have the NAV option, so I opted for the rear view mirror with built-in LCD display. Hardest part was converting the 10 pin connector for the mirror to a 12 pin to feed the A/V signal into the mirror. Cost me about $200 total and a lot of research.

If you REALLY want to do this, I suggest poring over the data from the F150 forum. It is really informative stuff.
Old 9/12/11, 11:13 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bones302
there is a really great thread on adding a backup camera on the F150 forums: http://www.f150forum.com/f38/09-rear-view-camera-18468/

B/c the back of our cars are so high up, I never got a good feel for depth and didn't like the spoiler-mounted cameras. I ended up buying a small aftermarket camera that mounts just above the license plate. Nearly invisible and looks factory.

I don't have the NAV option, so I opted for the rear view mirror with built-in LCD display. Hardest part was converting the 10 pin connector for the mirror to a 12 pin to feed the A/V signal into the mirror. Cost me about $200 total and a lot of research.

If you REALLY want to do this, I suggest poring over the data from the F150 forum. It is really informative stuff.
Since everyone here has a stang, why don't you just post what you did in a little more detail and then they can use your method and save people some time?
Old 9/14/11, 08:33 AM

Well, I read all 70 pages of that F150Forum thread, and seems like it might be possible. Should be a matter of adding a compatible camera (either in spoiler, keyhole, plate frame, etc), and running wiring for it up under the headliner to a new mirror. Then I just have to hope that the 2011 and 2012 mirror pinout is the same or pretty close, as Helm only has the wiring diagrams for a 2011 so far... The other thing I'm kind of hoping for is that Ford were lazy and includes the camera wiring in the harness for high-option cars.

Bones302, did you go with the Ford mirror? If so did you keep the Sync functionality (if applicable)? I'm looking at about $600 for the OEM mirror w/ LCD from Ford. I would go aftermarket, but I haven't seen an aftermarket with the Sync mic built in.
Old 9/14/11, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I bought an F150 takeoff mirror from fleabay. cost me about $150. you have to make sure the mirror you get has the synch mics in it. I believe there is a ford part number in that thread.

you can use any camera you want, the AV signals to the mirror will be a standard + and - and you would wire it in to trigger on with the back up lights. I used the wiring diagram in that thread to figure out pin position and source for the 10 and 12 pin connectors. Like I said, this is a bit of a project.

Last edited by bones302; 9/14/11 at 01:09 PM.
Old 9/14/11, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I have the rear video cam and it was only a $385 option.
Old 9/15/11, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bones302
I bought an F150 takeoff mirror from fleabay. cost me about $150. you have to make sure the mirror you get has the synch mics in it. I believe there is a ford part number in that thread.

you can use any camera you want, the AV signals to the mirror will be a standard + and - and you would wire it in to trigger on with the back up lights. I used the wiring diagram in that thread to figure out pin position and source for the 10 and 12 pin connectors. Like I said, this is a bit of a project.
So can you post your research, connectors, etc? That would be nice so everyone doesn't have to repeat what you did.
Old 9/15/11, 11:07 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
I have the rear video cam and it was only a $385 option.
So?

Costs a hell of a lot more than that to add it on afterwards.
Old 9/15/11, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So the F150 Mirror is Plug and PLay in the Mustang?? No splicing wires?
Old 9/15/11, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
So?

Costs a hell of a lot more than that to add it on afterwards.
Have you priced the parts from Ford ?
Old 9/15/11, 11:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Have you priced the parts from Ford ?
Over $1000 in parts from Ford ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding OEM reverse camera after purchase