2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

6R80 manumatic...

Old 10/7/10, 07:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam
Paddle shifters don't automatically mean dual clutch transmission. Add revmatch functionality and stiffen up the shifts then throw on some plastic made-in-china paddles. Done. How much would that cost Ford if they utilize the same transmission?
Never said anything about paddle shifters meaning it would be a DCT.

What I am saying is that the cost of re-engineering the steering column and wheel to accomodate the paddle shifters would drive the cost up so that it would not be a $300 option unless they built some of the cost into the tranny.

Ford would probably make it a package deal, like "Performance Automatic Transmission" option, that instead of the current $995 cost would be more like a $1995 cost for the performance auto option. That might get you your paddle shifter.

For a lot less they could do the console shifter with a manual gate.
Old 10/7/10, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Never said anything about paddle shifters meaning it would be a DCT.

What I am saying is that the cost of re-engineering the steering column and wheel to accomodate the paddle shifters would drive the cost up so that it would not be a $300 option unless they built some of the cost into the tranny.

Ford would probably make it a package deal, like "Performance Automatic Transmission" option, that instead of the current $995 cost would be more like a $1995 cost for the performance auto option. That might get you your paddle shifter.

I would tend to think that a console shift would be easier to engineer into the car than a paddle shift on the wheel. There is plenty of room there to widen the space allowed for the shifter and thus be able to slip it over into manual shift mode. Also it's much closer to the transmission requiring less hardware alteration from chassis to drive line components.
Old 10/7/10, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
True. Maybe they'll add this during the mid-cycle refresh. Then do paddle shifters for Next-Gen.
Old 10/7/10, 07:45 PM
Banned

Personally I prefer the console shift because it never fails that right when you want to up or down shift on a paddle shifter you can't because the wheel is turned and you would have to have a triple jointed wrist to get to the paddle.
Old 10/7/10, 07:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by White2010
Personally I prefer the console shift because it never fails that right when you want to up or down shift on a paddle shifter you can't because the wheel is turned and you would have to have a triple jointed wrist to get to the paddle.
The BMW paddles are attached to the steering wheel so that they move with it. This would be preferred to the stationary ones, IMO.
Old 10/9/10, 02:16 AM
V6 Member

No manual-mode for the automatic in a car like the Ford Mustang, is a definitive no-go!
The should add paddle-shifters or a console stick as soon as possible.
(If I remember right the Power-shift transmission in the Fiesta has also no manual-mode - only "3-2-1"?! )

Two other - somehow off-topic - points:

- According to the technical specifications of the F-150 the ecoboost engine has a 0,61 sixth gear, instead of a 0,69. Is this correct? (looks somehow curious for me - but would be great for fuel-economy reasons)

- Does anybody now the differances between Fords 6-speed automatic, GMs 6-speed auto and the ZF 6-speed automatic (as used in many BMWs, Audis and Australian Fords?) Their ratios look nearly identical...
Old 10/16/10, 04:06 AM
V6 Member

LOL!
It seems that the new Ford Ranger, receives the manumatic option for the 6R80, that Mustang owners are missing!

The new Ford 6R80 six-speed automatic transmission has been extensively tuned to deliver smooth, quick shifts almost imperceptibly to the driver, reinforcing the car-like refinement of the new Ranger. In Normal mode, the calibration focuses on comfort and fuel economy. For sportier driving, a quick flick of the shifter changes the transmission into Sport mode. This provides later shift points and the driver can manually select gears through a forward (downshift) or rearward (upshift) movement.
Old 10/16/10, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Paddle shifters mount on the steering wheel are as natural and the third pedal in a manual car. it took me 3 seconds to get used to and fall in love with them on my wife's honda fit sport yea a "sport" lol In that particular car it makes driving kinda fun cuz you can make up for no power and a slugish downshift with the flick of a finger i get out of that car and am looking for them while im driving the truck needing to kick it down. if done right with a eco, normal. and Sport mode i would seriously look into a auto. for floppy bits of plastic they allow you to keep both hands on the wheel and still drive spiritedly. But thats just me and im closer to 60 than 40
Old 10/16/10, 09:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Paddles will come, the question is when? I say we won't see them until the redesign.
Old 10/16/10, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Adam
I really think Nissan did theirs right. It still uses a torque converter but it rev matches and "feels" more like a manual. If Nissan can do it in the 370Z I think Ford can do it in the Mustang.
I agree...The 7AT in the 370Z is a really terrific transmission. If I had gotten it on mine I may still have the car. Their 6MT is a notoriously clunky box. If the Mustang had come with a decent manually controlled automatic I would have bought it. The 6MT is a dream though...I just hope my knees hold out!

On asking for a DCT unit, careful what you wish for. A bad Mechatronic unit (Brains) on an Audi or VW is a $4,000 hit. Yeah, they are going bad.

Last edited by Modshack; 10/16/10 at 12:32 PM.