2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 Revision MGW Shifter

Old 7/31/14, 01:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I agree on what you are saying. Since mine is a late 2014. I might never know how bad it was. I have had allot of manual cars and this is by fare one of the better ones. 3 mustangs GT's manual plus others. I really want to know what they changed on the 2015 selector rod. Well if anything save me from buying a new shifter. Does anyone have a late 2014 with any issues?
I had been missing 3rd maybe 50% of the time and missed 4th a couple times, but only at full tilt. Other than that, it's a little crunchy when cold, but nothing I haven't experienced in other cars I've driven, including my old 03 GT with T56 swap. That being said, lately I've been spot on with it...but it's still not confidence inspiring. I have to be conscientiously aware of being delicate with it, and I don't feel that's what I want in a Mustang. I know they're two different transmissions and mounting setups, but I felt like I could manhandle my T56 with MGW and it loved it. It felt manly. This shifter feels so light and...girly...to me. It does almost feel like a Honda gearbox, and while they and Mazda used to be known as the standard for shifter feel, that's not what I'm looking for in my Mustang. I want heavy, deliberate, consistent, rifle bolt-action feeling shifts. I feel like I'm cracking a knuckle when I shift my car. Or popping a double jointed elbow. It honestly feels like shifting cartilage.
Old 7/31/14, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I had been missing 3rd maybe 50% of the time and missed 4th a couple times, but only at full tilt. Other than that, it's a little crunchy when cold, but nothing I haven't experienced in other cars I've driven, including my old 03 GT with T56 swap. That being said, lately I've been spot on with it...but it's still not confidence inspiring. I have to be conscientiously aware of being delicate with it, and I don't feel that's what I want in a Mustang. I know they're two different transmissions and mounting setups, but I felt like I could manhandle my T56 with MGW and it loved it. It felt manly. This shifter feels so light and...girly...to me. It does almost feel like a Honda gearbox, and while they and Mazda used to be known as the standard for shifter feel, that's not what I'm looking for in my Mustang. I want heavy, deliberate, consistent, rifle bolt-action feeling shifts. I feel like I'm cracking a knuckle when I shift my car. Or popping a double jointed elbow. It honestly feels like shifting cartilage.

I have not had a chance to drive my car allot lately. I will this weekend and will look at what you are saying. I don't even have 1K miles on it yet. So I will get on it and see what happens. I have read allot about the new upgrades. I am thinking it is the shift rod as Ford has made the upgrade to it. I am hoping it is something we can use.
Old 7/31/14, 01:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I have not had a chance to drive my car allot lately. I will this weekend and will look at what you are saying. I don't even have 1K miles on it yet. So I will get on it and see what happens. I have read allot about the new upgrades. I am thinking it is the shift rod as Ford has made the upgrade to it. I am hoping it is something we can use.
I have over 2100 miles on mine so far, picked it up 7/5/14. The maiden voyage was a 975 mile trip home from Seattle to the SF Bay Area. It's broken in at this point.
Old 8/1/14, 06:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Corsa, thanks for the detailed response. I suppose I missed out to laserred, which is cool. I can't tell from your response when the design change went into effect.

Berzerk_1980, to the best of my knowledge MGW started shipping the “2014” shifter in January 2014. Believe their install video for this shifter was put up for viewing on the MGW website around the middle of January. The earlier model MGW shifter install videos are available on youtube.

Is laserred getting these features?

The unit laserred is purchasing from me is not the 2014 design. My unit was purchased from MGW in December 2013 just prior to the switch over.

Where did you get this info by the way? Maybe I can stop asking questions and read for myself.

The info on the differences between the two models came from MGW.
Old 8/1/14, 06:17 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
So easy to summarize and everyone who's tried both will HAVE to agree.

I've said it before, and will again.

Stock shifter = functional, for the most part

MGW = functional AND better feel AND way more fun to row