2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 Revision MGW Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/14, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got dropped off!!! Can't wait to get this bad boy installed 2mrw!! Anyone need a Steeda shifter, lol!
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Revision MGW Shifter-image-2501652402.jpg  
Old 3/14/14, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Just got dropped off!!! Can't wait to get this bad boy installed 2mrw!! Anyone need a Steeda shifter, lol!
Nice! Can't wait to see it installed
Old 3/15/14, 02:59 AM
Cobra Member

And the MGW army grows bigger every day! Years from now when these cars are for sale, prospective savvy buyers will be looking for Track Pack GTs with Recaros and an MGW. One of the few mods you can buy that gets better with age!
Old 3/21/14, 02:39 PM
Cobra Member

Even A V6 Needs a MGW!!

Got it installed this past weekend and got a chance to drive with it a couple days and all I can say is WOW! I replaced the Steeda shifter and Barton 2-post with this. I decided to go with the MGW because the throws were shorter and I knew it would cure all of the stock shifters shortcomings. Even with the Steeda shifter and Barton bracket there still seem to be some slop in the shifting even though my 2-3 lockout problems were cured. I agree that its not for everyone and most will be satisfied with just the Steeda shifter or changing out the bracket but this shifter makes the feel of the car much better and truly a joy to drive even in stop and go traffic.

A couple notes: If you have a premium and have the ambient lighting I show in one of the pics below the two connectors you will have to take off. They use a base model in the video and don't show these. Also my side support arm was yellow not black like in the video but the shifter box bolts up the same. The side arm in the video is black but the yellow one is the same.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Revision MGW Shifter-20140315_110615.jpg   2014 Revision MGW Shifter-20140321_145510.jpg   2014 Revision MGW Shifter-20140315_075359.jpg   2014 Revision MGW Shifter-20140315_110602.jpg  
Old 3/21/14, 02:43 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Got it installed this past weekend and got a chance to drive with it a couple days and all I can say is WOW! I replaced the Steeda shifter and Barton 2-post with this. I decided to go with the MGW because the throws were shorter and I knew it would cure all of the stock shifters shortcomings. Even with the Steeda shifter and Barton bracket there still seem to be some slop in the shifting even though my 2-3 lockout problems were cured. I agree that its not for everyone and most will be satisfied with just the Steeda shifter or changing out the bracket but this shifter makes the feel of the car much better and truly a joy to drive even in stop and go traffic. A couple notes: If you have a premium and have the ambient lighting I show in one of the pics below the two connectors you will have to take off. They use a base model in the video and don't show these. Also my side support arm was yellow not black like in the video but the shifter box bolts up the same. The side arm in the video is black but the yellow one is the same.
Welcome to the MGW family, AJ.
Old 4/8/14, 09:44 PM

Thanks for your review. Just placed my order!
Old 4/9/14, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Got it installed this past weekend and got a chance to drive with it a couple days and all I can say is WOW! I replaced the Steeda shifter and Barton 2-post with this. I decided to go with the MGW because the throws were shorter and I knew it would cure all of the stock shifters shortcomings. Even with the Steeda shifter and Barton bracket there still seem to be some slop in the shifting even though my 2-3 lockout problems were cured. I agree that its not for everyone and most will be satisfied with just the Steeda shifter or changing out the bracket but this shifter makes the feel of the car much better and truly a joy to drive even in stop and go traffic.

A couple notes: If you have a premium and have the ambient lighting I show in one of the pics below the two connectors you will have to take off. They use a base model in the video and don't show these. Also my side support arm was yellow not black like in the video but the shifter box bolts up the same. The side arm in the video is black but the yellow one is the same.
Looks awesome!

Originally Posted by JoLC_F
Thanks for your review. Just placed my order!
You're going to love it!!!
Old 4/9/14, 10:53 AM
Banned

Looking af my personal Mustang Build... guess what's next? This. No idea how I've gone 32k on the stock shifter.

Just need to decide if I with minimal tools can handle it, or I can find someone awesome in the DMV area to install it for me.

Narph, do you do house calls?
Old 4/9/14, 02:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Looking af my personal Mustang Build... guess what's next? This. No idea how I've gone 32k on the stock shifter. Just need to decide if I with minimal tools can handle it, or I can find someone awesome in the DMV area to install it for me. Narph, do you do house calls?
Watch the video online showing the install. It's step by step. They list all the tools you need. Can be done on jack stands. A creeper makes it much easier getting from under the car. I made it 30k on the stocker. Thought it was fine...the difference of the MGW is night and day
Old 4/10/14, 06:59 AM
GT Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Abslutely no comparison with other units , MGW is light years ahead of the competition, but then they often own the vehicles they build for and do extensive R&D --- the owner has had 2 Boss 302s for instance. Go to the Corvette Forums or the Viper Forums and you will see identical praise for this company's shift kits and accessories. Absolutely top notch and to say they are fanatical about making sure they work on the track and street is an understatement. Have been using their products since 2000 and never been disappointed with quality or how they work.
Old 5/1/14, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok, I get it now. I test drove an 11 GT & now understand why so many people choose to switch shifters. It was NOTHING like shifting our 13 GT500! I did not realize just how long the throws are and just how flimsy the shifter feels. There was a ton of lateral movement, even when in gear.

If we had a GT, the shifter would be the first mod.
Old 5/2/14, 04:20 AM
Cobra Member

That's not an apples to apples comparison, the GT500 has a different transmission and shifter than the GT. But if I had a Shelby, I'd still install an MGW. I wonder if the Shelby shifter has the same lame bracket design and zip ties?
Old 5/2/14, 06:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I realize it's apples to oranges. I didn't realize how bad the oranges were until I tried one though.
Old 5/2/14, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the stock shifter has some flaws, but sometimes I think a lot of you just suck at shifting. It's nothing as bad as many of you make it out to be. Of course most of all my 2700 miles has been at the drag strip and a few hundred street driving. I've never been locked out, but did grind 2-3 once. I still plan on getting an MGW for the shorter throws and I know the stocker is cheaply made, but I still stick to some of you just suck. Lol
Old 5/2/14, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure, there are bad drivers out there... But it is just embarrassing how poor the quality is on the stock shifter. I get that Ford has to meet a price point for the different Mustang models, and component costs are part of that. But look at the removed stock shifter, hold it in your hands. I guarantee you will get a good chuckle.
Old 5/2/14, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

yeah, and we all suck at shifting too, including the driving instructors that report the 2-3 lockout when shifting at WOT at the track...
Old 5/2/14, 09:00 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Last1
Sure, there are bad drivers out there... But it is just embarrassing how poor the quality is on the stock shifter. I get that Ford has to meet a price point for the different Mustang models, and component costs are part of that. But look at the removed stock shifter, hold it in your hands. I guarantee you will get a good chuckle.
Indeed. I really did that when I installed it. Laughed. In fact, it's still sitting in my basement somewhere gathering dust
Old 5/2/14, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
yeah, and we all suck at shifting too, including the driving instructors that report the 2-3 lockout when shifting at WOT at the track...
I've never been locked out,...never. Well over 100 passes at the strip.
Old 5/2/14, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15

I've never been locked out,...never. Well over 100 passes at the strip.
That's you and your car. I also didn't see what I was missing as I didn't really have any problems with the stocker or my MT-82. Sometimes it seems as tho everyone's tranny is different as some have alot of problems from the start and some say the tranny and shifter is great. Some of this is from poor driving and I think some of this is from poor manufacturing and parts. Either way I can tell you installng an MGW, SR clutch line and changing the fluid to RP Synchromax has made a wold of difference and has made shifting and the overall driving experience amazing now.
Old 5/2/14, 11:23 AM
I Have No Life

That's you and your car. I also didn't see what I was missing as I didn't really have any problems with the stocker or my MT-82. Sometimes it seems as tho everyone's tranny is different as some have alot of problems from the start and some say the tranny and shifter is great. Some of this is from poor driving and I think some of this is from poor manufacturing and parts. Either way I can tell you installng an MGW, SR clutch line and changing the fluid to RP Synchromax has made a wold of difference and has made shifting and the overall driving experience amazing now.
AJ, I think bottom line is this: those who think the stock shifter is "great" (I've heard this many a time), simply just have not tried or driven an MT82 equipped with the MGW. Again it's not that the stock shifter is "broken" or anything, it simply "functions". Period. It does its job. Ok fine we can all agree to that. But, when compared to an MGW, it simply does not compare, hands down. As I stated before to so many others, I thought the stock shifter was "good". Then I installed the MGW and it's a whole new world.

I think the key would be, has anyone tried the stock shifter, then installed the MGW, then said, "oh man, this MGW sucks, I think the stock shifter is so much better. I'm uninstalling my MGW and installing the stock one back on." I truly don't think that one person exists. If he or she does, great, egg on my face then. Regardless though, Nothing changes the fact that I love my MGW. Period.

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/2/14 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Revision MGW Shifter