Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 Mustang Automatic Transmission holing back power?

Old 10/15/13, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey
I like how this thread went from someone wanting to know how to abuse their car so they can look cool for their "bros".

To me making a silly comment about V6's...

To the V6 guys chiming in and getting butt hurt about it.

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS!
Old 10/15/13, 07:34 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JimC
Can't compare the 2011 & 12 to 2013 & 14. Ford changed the transmission. It has nothing to do with TCS or Advanced Track. The torque management in the transmission tune prevents you from getting over 2,000 rpm trying a brake stand.
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
So the 13 and 14 hold back more than the 11-12 due to fuel economy expectations?
No it isn't MPG, it has to do with safety (and maybe to protect the driveline from damage by brake stands etc). Remember the "run away" Toyotas that the people couldn't stop stepping on the brake? Torque management won't let the engine go over 2,000 rpm if you are stepping on the brake pedal. If you are driving a stock 2013 or 14 and put your foot on the brake you can put the accelerator to the floor and it will not go up over 2,000 rpm. Take your foot off the brake and it will accelerate normally.

But a tune will override the torque management system. When the 2013 first came out it took some time for tuners to figure out where the code was and how to override it so on race tunes we could do a burnout. My tunes are now set up so that when I put the race tune on the torque management is off but on a street tune it is back on (at least last time I checked a street tune, it has been modified since then so maybe it is open on the street tunes as well now)
Old 10/15/13, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the people that can't read the part where op said its a lease but tells him to put gears in it
Old 10/15/13, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
I love the people that can't read the part where op said its a lease but tells him to put gears in it
Lmao. Its a lease. Drive that b otch like you stole it. That's the best. Just beat the dog snot out of it. I would punch that pony more than Chris Brown on Rhianna.
Old 10/15/13, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
^thats what I was trying to highlight. He CAN'T tune or put in gears on a leased vehicle unless he makes some deal with the dealer and I highly doubt they will go for it. Especially tuning.
Old 10/15/13, 08:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
No it isn't MPG, it has to do with safety (and maybe to protect the driveline from damage by brake stands etc). Remember the "run away" Toyotas that the people couldn't stop stepping on the brake? Torque management won't let the engine go over 2,000 rpm if you are stepping on the brake pedal. If you are driving a stock 2013 or 14 and put your foot on the brake you can put the accelerator to the floor and it will not go up over 2,000 rpm. Take your foot off the brake and it will accelerate normally. But a tune will override the torque management system. When the 2013 first came out it took some time for tuners to figure out where the code was and how to override it so on race tunes we could do a burnout. My tunes are now set up so that when I put the race tune on the torque management is off but on a street tune it is back on (at least last time I checked a street tune, it has been modified since then so maybe it is open on the street tunes as well now)
Makes perfect sense. Thanks bro!
Old 10/15/13, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
No it isn't MPG, it has to do with safety (and maybe to protect the driveline from damage by brake stands etc). Remember the "run away" Toyotas that the people couldn't stop stepping on the brake? Torque management won't let the engine go over 2,000 rpm if you are stepping on the brake pedal. If you are driving a stock 2013 or 14 and put your foot on the brake you can put the accelerator to the floor and it will not go up over 2,000 rpm. Take your foot off the brake and it will accelerate normally.

But a tune will override the torque management system. When the 2013 first came out it took some time for tuners to figure out where the code was and how to override it so on race tunes we could do a burnout. My tunes are now set up so that when I put the race tune on the torque management is off but on a street tune it is back on (at least last time I checked a street tune, it has been modified since then so maybe it is open on the street tunes as well now)
This would mean that you could pop the brake like you would pop the clutch on a manual transmission.
Old 10/16/13, 10:59 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper

This would mean that you could pop the brake like you would pop the clutch on a manual transmission.
Not exactly. With a manual you can take the rpm up to red line if you change your neutral limit and pop the clutch. You can always take the rpm higher than 2000 even with no change on a manual. But torque management will only take you to 2000 on the automatic and lifting your foot off the brake will not yield the same result as a stick
Old 10/16/13, 03:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 386 Likes on 283 Posts
Duh, what was this tread about???? Oh yea, it's about the OP trying to tear the chit out of his lease Stang......OK, I'm good.
Old 10/16/13, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Lmao. Its a lease. Drive that b otch like you stole it. That's the best. Just beat the dog snot out of it. I would punch that pony more than Chris Brown on Rhianna.
LMAO
Old 10/16/13, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Pull the # 10 fuse out of the fuse box under the hood. That will allow you to do a burnout. Some dash lights will come on but as soon as you replace the fuse the lights will go out and everything will be back to normal and you dont have to tune the car. Now you can go beat the snot out of it. You will however not have stability control etc so if you lose control dont say you werent told ahead of time.
Old 10/16/13, 08:17 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by uncle phil
Pull the # 10 fuse out of the fuse box under the hood. That will allow you to do a burnout. Some dash lights will come on but as soon as you replace the fuse the lights will go out and everything will be back to normal and you dont have to tune the car. Now you can go beat the snot out of it. You will however not have stability control etc so if you lose control dont say you werent told ahead of time.
That may be true on your 2011 but the 2013 and 2014 is different. The stability control isn't the problem. It is in the automatic transmission tuning and the torque management control. TCS and stability control are different systems.

Doug from C&L used my car as his test mule working on this issue. He tried tunes that completely disabled TCS and stability controls, and it didn't override the torque management. He had me try out a different tune to see if I could do a burn out and it had no effect, but he also sent me an updated "street tune" so I loaded it up for the trip back home after testing the tune so that I didn't have to deal with all the lights on the dash telling me to service advance track etc. That tune I could sit and do a brake stand burn out with ease - called him and told him the results and the next day he went back through the code to see what had been changed to track down the trigger. Two weeks later all the tuners were able to override torque management on the 2013 automatic

Last edited by JimC; 10/16/13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10/16/13, 09:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That may be true on your 2011 but the 2013 and 2014 is different. The stability control isn't the problem. It is in the automatic transmission tuning and the torque management control. TCS and stability control are different systems.

Doug from C&L used my car as his test mule working on this issue. He tried tunes that completely disabled TCS and stability controls, and it didn't override the torque management. He had me try out a different tune to see if I could do a burn out and it had no effect, but he also sent me an updated "street tune" so I loaded it up for the trip back home after testing the tune so that I didn't have to deal with all the lights on the dash telling me to service advance track etc. That tune I could sit and do a brake stand burn out with ease - called him and told him the results and the next day he went back through the code to see what had been changed to track down the trigger. Two weeks later all the tuners were able to override torque management on the 2013 automatic
Excellent information for the 2013 and up automatics. Thanks for posting this.
Old 4/25/14, 12:18 PM

2014 GT/CS

Originally Posted by Bucko
Excellent information for the 2013 and up automatics. Thanks for posting this.
Not sure what everyone is doing wrong on their GT's with automatic transmissions. I turn the traction control off and my GT will burn the tires off! It gets even better if you hold the brake and give it a little gas, loosen the brake and give it a little more gas then let the brake go and push the pedal and I guarantee that she will do the donuts and get your coffee. If not get back to the dealer and have them show you how it's done. The automatics will smoke the tires! Just don't go over the 2000 rpm rev limiter in the transmission. They will do it, I'm 64 and I've had many muscle cars and this one would smoke my 70 GTX with a 6 pack easily. Good luck.
Old 4/25/14, 01:24 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GTCS
Not sure what everyone is doing wrong on their GT's with automatic transmissions. I turn the traction control off and my GT will burn the tires off! It gets even better if you hold the brake and give it a little gas, loosen the brake and give it a little more gas then let the brake go and push the pedal and I guarantee that she will do the donuts and get your coffee. If not get back to the dealer and have them show you how it's done. The automatics will smoke the tires! Just don't go over the 2000 rpm rev limiter in the transmission. They will do it, I'm 64 and I've had many muscle cars and this one would smoke my 70 GTX with a 6 pack easily. Good luck.
I'm 61 . I remember in 1971 there was a 70 GTX automatic in my town. It was the first automatic transmissioned car i ever heard that would do a good 'bark' when shifting into 2nd gear. To be young again
Old 4/25/14, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2014GTCS
Originally Posted by David Young
I'm 61 . I remember in 1971 there was a 70 GTX automatic in my town. It was the first automatic transmissioned car i ever heard that would do a good 'bark' when shifting into 2nd gear. To be young again
We're the ones who actually know that THIS is the golden age of muscle cars. The ones we had in the '60s and early '70s wouldn't hold a candle.
Old 4/25/14, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Funny, My 500 doesn't have this problem...
Yeah, my GT doesn't either. What is the absolute best thing about 6MT? Clutch drops
Old 5/12/14, 07:54 AM

Put it in Sport 1 gear then hold the brake and rev the engine
Old 5/13/14, 10:51 AM
GT Member

I like how the OP disappeared way back on page 1 less than 2 hours after his first post. He must not have liked everyone's suggestions. LOL!!
Old 6/4/14, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had no problems lighting up the tires on my automatic,
So here is a question, do I have to get a tuner if I upgrade my gears from my 3:15 to 3:73? Not that I don't want a tune, just at the moment short on cash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang Automatic Transmission holing back power?