Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 GT track car looking for the best Shifter Bracket with Low NVH

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/14, 04:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 GT track car looking for the best Shifter Bracket with Low NVH

Ok all I just installed my Bondra Performance Engineering clutch extension. WOW what a difference it is to drive this car. This should come stock with this installed.

Well Now i notice allot more crapping shift feel. Not sure why but I am looking for a shifter bracket. What ones did you buy and why?
Old 7/18/14, 05:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using the Barton 2 post. By design its got to be the strongest bracket. It made a big difference in normal shifting feel but I also feel there is more improvement needed. I don't feel or hear any NVH worth mentioning. Waiting for the Blowfish racing part to come out then decide on going MGW. I may try the Whiteline bushing first cause I'm still have 3 gear lock out problems
Old 7/19/14, 12:48 AM
Cobra Member

So the BlowFish racing part is still a secret? Sounds interesting from what little I have read. Whiteline bushing looks good but I read an article on just pouring your own?? I'm so confused on this. You would think that by spending as much as we did on these cars that they would have put a shifter that was better or at least a real transmission LOL

Thankx for the info.
Old 7/19/14, 02:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the steeds bracket. I picked it because most of the reviews were positive and it had a reputation for being the quietest. It comes with 2 inserts. I used the less aggressive one. It fixed my issues. I think, for me, it was also a driver mod that helped me. I've driven manuals almost exclusively the past 24 years. I thought I shifted pretty well. The mustangs shifter seems to have rely narrow gates. You have to push each throw smoothly and accurately. The shifter and some seat team seemed to cure my issues.
Old 7/19/14, 09:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Barton shifter. I like it because it's crisp but I still get locked out of 3rd and 4th sometimes. I'm going MGW because it's the best according to everyone. Eventually clutch and line. I took the helper spring off the pedal and it helped with the feel when shifting. You can tell where the take up is a lot easier now.
Old 7/19/14, 10:00 AM
GT Member

I kept my shifter and replaced my bracket with a Barton shift bracket and it fixed the 3rd gear lockout. I have not missed a gear since with a slightly louder click going into gear but very close to stock with no vibration. I have been to the drag strip with no issues and 5 good runs. Before 70% of the time it wouldn't go to 3rd. I also shift to third with my hand opened and push up as to allow it find the gear.
Old 7/19/14, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I have the steeds bracket. I picked it because most of the reviews were positive and it had a reputation for being the quietest. It comes with 2 inserts. I used the less aggressive one. It fixed my issues. I think, for me, it was also a driver mod that helped me. I've driven manuals almost exclusively the past 24 years. I thought I shifted pretty well. The mustangs shifter seems to have rely narrow gates. You have to push each throw smoothly and accurately. The shifter and some seat team seemed to cure my issues.
Same for me. Steeda with red insert. I love it. Firmed up the shifts and has zero nvh. Although keep in mind jazz that nvh is opened to interpretation.

I decided to go with the steeda red bc I figured that it will have the least nvh out of all of them and as long as it still works. For all I know, the Barton 2 post would also be acceptable for me with nvh, but I knew that either way it'd still be more than the steeda red.

I read posts that people swapped the red and black and noticed the same firmness but less nvh with red.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/19/14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 7/19/14, 11:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Same for me. Steeda with red insert. I love it. Firmed up the shifts and has zero nvh. Although keep in mind jazz that nvh is opened to interpretation.

I decided to go with the steeda red bc I figured that it will have the least nvh out of all of them and as long as it still works. For all I know, the Barton 2 post would also be acceptable for me with nvh, but I knew that either way it'd still be more than the steeda red.

I read posts that people swapped the red and black and noticed the same firmness but less nvh with red.

How hard is it to replace the bushing? Typesredline As I read allot on these forums I see allot of interpretation as you stated about NVH. I love a firm ride and solid shifts so I am thinking what you have is my answer?

One thing that has bothered me about this shifter and tranny is the more you drive it the better is shifts.
Old 7/20/14, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
How hard is it to replace the bushing? Typesredline As I read allot on these forums I see allot of interpretation as you stated about NVH. I love a firm ride and solid shifts so I am thinking what you have is my answer? One thing that has bothered me about this shifter and tranny is the more you drive it the better is shifts.
Yeah I like the shifter throws. But it felt to squishy. The red insert is perfect and minimizes the nvh. But you're right with inconsistencies on reviews, some say with the Barton nvh is none, some say its a lot. So I figured that even if the red still had some, it would be the least.

Install took a total of 13" in extensions. Once I got her on stands, I was done in 10-15 min.

We live close, I'd be happy to come and help

Last edited by typesredline; 7/20/14 at 07:02 AM.
Old 7/20/14, 07:14 AM

I read mixed reviews about the Barton unit so wound up going with the Steeda bracket along with their short shifter kit. I used the softer red durometer which firmed things up without increasing NVH. Along with axlebacks, it is by far the best mod I have done.
Old 7/20/14, 07:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I have the Barton shifter. I like it because it's crisp but I still get locked out of 3rd and 4th sometimes. I'm going MGW because it's the best according to everyone. Eventually clutch and line. I took the helper spring off the pedal and it helped with the feel when shifting. You can tell where the take up is a lot easier now.
I still have 3rd gear lockout with MGW, looking fwd to the Blowfish part.

Last edited by ace72ace; 7/21/14 at 03:56 AM.
Old 7/20/14, 07:54 AM
GT Member

i just installed the MGW. Should have been my first mod. Shifting is superb and they do a terrific job with NVH on their latest kit.
The shift quality and accuracy was flat out awful on the stock GT. I tried the energy suspension bushing and it helped. Then the Whiteline Trans bushing and it helped but the NVH was way to much. Finally added the MGW and cut the bottom piece off the Whiteline and ended up with excellent shifting performance and very little to zero added NVH.
Go to the MGW site and watch the install video. You will see all the added NVH reduction measures they take. Very well designed and the install video made my install go very smoothly. It is quieter than my stock shifter was.
Old 7/20/14, 07:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
I still have 3rd gear lockout with MGW, looking fwd the the Blowfish part.

Curious. Did you use the Whiteline Trans bushing with the MGW and still have lockout? I have experienced no lockout with the Whiteline and I track the car.
Old 7/20/14, 08:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Steeda bracket along with their short shifter kit. I used the softer red durometer which firmed things up without increasing NVH. Along with axlebacks, it is by far the best mod I have done.
Sounds like Steeda is a great choice!

You can email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help you with ordering or answering any further questions.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/20/14, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I like the shifter throws. But it felt to squishy. The red insert is perfect and minimizes the nvh. But you're right with inconsistencies on reviews, some say with the Barton nvh is none, some say its a lot. So I figured that even if the red still had some, it would be the least.

Install took a total of 13" in extensions. Once I got her on stands, I was done in 10-15 min.

We live close, I'd be happy to come and help
I am going with the bushing. I am so confused on this trans. If I drive it for a little while it shifts like ****. If I drive it more than 30 minutes it shifts like butter!!

Is there any difference between the Energy or the Prothane?

I am hoping that the shifter bushing will help this out. I have another 2014 shifter assembly and I keep looking at it and the others and trying to see what the differences in them are? Not much that I can see that would help the crunching sounds. Does anyone know what causes this? Why does it go away after longer driving?
Old 7/20/14, 11:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am going with the bushing. I am so confused on this trans. If I drive it for a little while it shifts like ****. If I drive it more than 30 minutes it shifts like butter!!

Is there any difference between the Energy or the Prothane?

I am hoping that the shifter bushing will help this out. I have another 2014 shifter assembly and I keep looking at it and the others and trying to see what the differences in them are? Not much that I can see that would help the crunching sounds. Does anyone know what causes this? Why does it go away after longer driving?
Some people have had luck changing the transmission fluid and speeding up that trip to smooth shifting. I live in southern California so my car gets to smooth pretty quick.
Old 7/21/14, 02:33 AM
Cobra Member

I am going with the bushing. I am so confused on this trans. If I drive it for a little while it shifts like ****. If I drive it more than 30 minutes it shifts like butter!! Is there any difference between the Energy or the Prothane? I am hoping that the shifter bushing will help this out. I have another 2014 shifter assembly and I keep looking at it and the others and trying to see what the differences in them are? Not much that I can see that would help the crunching sounds. Does anyone know what causes this? Why does it go away after longer driving?
Without knowing exactly what you mean by shifting like ****. I'd say the bushing could definitely help.

I looked at the energy. They make good stuff. But it still has some big slits above and below where it attaches. I figured it would make a negligible difference, especially in red. Also the firmer bracket on completely new kits like steeda I'm sure helps. I'd think with the energy one, you could just cut the zip ties and slip the old bushing out and new in. BUT, it could potentially make install harder if that didn't work.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/21/14 at 02:37 AM.
Old 7/21/14, 03:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by todcp
Curious. Did you use the Whiteline Trans bushing with the MGW and still have lockout? I have experienced no lockout with the Whiteline and I track the car.
No, waiting for this other mystery part before experimenting with other options.
Old 7/21/14, 07:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
No, waiting for this other mystery part before experimenting with other options.
Can someone explain or link what this blowfish part is? I guess I missed it.
Old 7/21/14, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Can someone explain or link what this blowfish part is? I guess I missed it.

I have read a few things but all I know is it is a big Secret and that it will be a shifter bracket and drive shaft safety loop.

Any more information would be great..

Quick Reply: 2014 GT track car looking for the best Shifter Bracket with Low NVH