Sponsored By:

2014 GT cabin noise while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/14, 01:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GT cabin noise while accelerating

Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 GT Track Pack MT, and in the last few weeks I noticed a cabin noise while accelerating between 3000 and 4000 rpm in 1st-4th. I notice it when I have the windows up and the radio is low. Don't hear it with the windows down or if the radio is up.

It's intermittent, and tends to happen more on warm days when the car is warm. I've had a hard time trying to figure out where it's coming from. It sounds as if there were a couple quarters on top of the dash rattling around for about 1-2s as the car passes through the 3000-4000 rpm band, then it goes away.

And I already took all the stuff out of the console and cup holder to make sure that wasn't it.

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer for such a little thing. Plus I'm not so sure they would be able to do much. But I'm at my wits end trying to diagnose it. Could it be fed into the cabin though the sound tube? Is something loose inside the dash?

Has anyone encountered something similar? The really hot days of summer are coming, and I don't want to deal with annoying rattling on my daily commute. Car has about 6k miles on it right now.
Old 5/21/14, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get insane amounts of cabin noise when I go wot...especially in a turn

Nothing i have tried will make her stop screaming at me either. Good luck to you
Old 5/21/14, 03:54 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
the steel plate between the block/tranny rattled on some cars... next time underneath, tap on it with a finger, see if it rattles against the face of the tranny. if so, push it away just a little with screw.driver tip, put a dab of silicone sealer in the gap, pull out the screwdriver and let it set up...should be quiet then.

exhaust heat shields might need bent a little bit too- again, tap on it with a finger, see if it rattles/vibrates... I had to just bend mine along a edge to get them to quit buzzing...

the rear half of my passenger fenderwell popped loose just yesterday, it was rattling, but not by rpm, just airflow over 35mph... musta hit something and popped a pin out, replaced all the pins with new, shes quiet again...

next up is a dashboard styrofoam squeak thats getting irritating on bumpy roads.
Old 5/22/14, 12:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by devilcaninex
I get insane amounts of cabin noise when I go wot...especially in a turn

Nothing i have tried will make her stop screaming at me either. Good luck to you
Ha! Same here!
Old 5/22/14, 06:16 AM
GT Member

Hey guys, thanks for sharing! I figured there would be people here smarter than me who had similar issues before.

Originally Posted by ford4v429
the steel plate between the block/tranny rattled on some cars... next time underneath, tap on it with a finger, see if it rattles against the face of the tranny. if so, push it away just a little with screw.driver tip, put a dab of silicone sealer in the gap, pull out the screwdriver and let it set up...should be quiet then.

exhaust heat shields might need bent a little bit too- again, tap on it with a finger, see if it rattles/vibrates... I had to just bend mine along a edge to get them to quit buzzing...

next up is a dashboard styrofoam squeak thats getting irritating on bumpy roads.
Tim, thanks for the good info!

I got what you mean about heat shields. I'll check next time I'm under the car for sure. But as for the steel plate between the block/tranny. Where is that exactly? Is it between the engine block and transmission? Is it ounted horizontally or vertically? Is it between the floor board and the tranny?

I think this is a good lead since the noise in my car seems to come from behind the center console. Thanks again for the info!
Old 5/23/14, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcin K.
Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 GT Track Pack MT, and in the last few weeks I noticed a cabin noise while accelerating between 3000 and 4000 rpm in 1st-4th. I notice it when I have the windows up and the radio is low. Don't hear it with the windows down or if the radio is up.

It's intermittent, and tends to happen more on warm days when the car is warm. I've had a hard time trying to figure out where it's coming from. It sounds as if there were a couple quarters on top of the dash rattling around for about 1-2s as the car passes through the 3000-4000 rpm band, then it goes away.

And I already took all the stuff out of the console and cup holder to make sure that wasn't it.

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer for such a little thing. Plus I'm not so sure they would be able to do much. But I'm at my wits end trying to diagnose it. Could it be fed into the cabin though the sound tube? Is something loose inside the dash?

Has anyone encountered something similar? The really hot days of summer are coming, and I don't want to deal with annoying rattling on my daily commute. Car has about 6k miles on it right now.
I have the same car and same problem on warm days above 75F if I hold the RPM at 3000 in second or third gear.
Sounds like it is coming from under the rear of the center console or under the passenger seat.
I thought it was the GT500 mufflers I installed a couple of weeks ago?
I had my car on my lift again yesterday and could not find anything loose or close to touching metal on metal.
I am going to mount a GoPro under the car once the air temps warm up again.

I'll let you know if I find the cause.
Please let us know if you find it.
Old 5/24/14, 09:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BBM3
I have the same car and same problem on warm days above 75F if I hold the RPM at 3000 in second or third gear.
Sounds like it is coming from under the rear of the center console or under the passenger seat.
I thought it was the GT500 mufflers I installed a couple of weeks ago?
I had my car on my lift again yesterday and could not find anything loose or close to touching metal on metal.
I am going to mount a GoPro under the car once the air temps warm up again.

I'll let you know if I find the cause.
Please let us know if you find it.
Hey BBM, thanks for sharing!

I spent some time under the car yesterday. I looked at the heat shields and the metal plate between the engine and tranny. Nothing seemed loose or rattling. I haven't driven the car too much this weekend. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm starting to think it is originating inside the cabin. If I have any luck finding it I'll certainly post an update here. Thanks for following up as well
Old 5/24/14, 10:37 PM
GT Member

Hey BBM, thanks for sharing!

I spent some time under the car yesterday. I looked at the heat shields and the metal plate between the engine and tranny. Nothing seemed loose or rattling. I haven't driven the car too much this weekend. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm starting to think it is originating inside the cabin. If I have any luck finding it I'll certainly post an update here. Thanks for following up as well
I am with you thinking it maybe from inside. However the buzz / hum I hear does sound like it is from the floorpan.
Maybe the passenger side Recaro seat?
I am fairly sure it is not the center console.

Have you tried holding the RPM at the point where you hear the buzz?
For me it is 3000 and again at about 3700.

Have you made any mods to your car?

Frustrating for sure but I am confident we will solve it.

-Bill
Old 5/25/14, 05:20 PM
GT Member

I am with you thinking it maybe from inside. However the buzz / hum I hear does sound like it is from the floorpan.
Maybe the passenger side Recaro seat?
I am fairly sure it is not the center console.

Have you tried holding the RPM at the point where you hear the buzz?
For me it is 3000 and again at about 3700.

Have you made any mods to your car?

Frustrating for sure but I am confident we will solve it.

-Bill
Hey Bill,

Steady state RPM doesn't cause it. It has to be an increase in the RPM range for me, I think it's the extra engine vibration while it's spooling up causing something to vibrate. I think mine is coming from behind the dash. Sometimes I think it is coming through the vents and bouncing off the windshield.

Sounds like you're fairly certain yours is coming from below. Perhaps try checking the Recaro mounts? Maybe something is loose, or touching a metal rail/bracket?

My only non-factory pieces are GT500 mufflers and K&N box filter. I even tightened down on the over-axle pipe clamps some more just to make sure it wasn't that. Haven't heard it yet, but I hardly drove the car this weekend. I'll see on Tuesday on my way to work.

-Marcin

Last edited by Marcin K.; 5/25/14 at 05:22 PM.
Old 5/25/14, 10:32 PM

Hey Bill,

Steady state RPM doesn't cause it. It has to be an increase in the RPM range for me, I think it's the extra engine vibration while it's spooling up causing something to vibrate. I think mine is coming from behind the dash. Sometimes I think it is coming through the vents and bouncing off the windshield.

Sounds like you're fairly certain yours is coming from below. Perhaps try checking the Recaro mounts? Maybe something is loose, or touching a metal rail/bracket?

My only non-factory pieces are GT500 mufflers and K&N box filter. I even tightened down on the over-axle pipe clamps some more just to make sure it wasn't that. Haven't heard it yet, but I hardly drove the car this weekend. I'll see on Tuesday on my way to work.

-Marcin
Yessssss please update if you find out. I had some muffler deletes on my 14 and I would get that rattle that sounded like it was under the center console or the passenger side. And it would only happen at a certain rpm range
Old 5/27/14, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by fivepoint0nick
Yessssss please update if you find out. I had some muffler deletes on my 14 and I would get that rattle that sounded like it was under the center console or the passenger side. And it would only happen at a certain rpm range
I may have something similar. I tried tightening the exhaust brackets (just to be sure) and tightening airbox brackets.

I'm pretty sure it is under the dash as well. The search continues.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 5/27/14 at 01:25 PM.
Old 5/27/14, 12:14 PM
GT Member

My rear view mirror vibrates from 800-1500 rpm. You should be able to check it by pulling a sun visor down then pushing it back up until it springs back into place.
Old 5/27/14, 08:36 PM
GT Member

Hey Bill,

-Marcin
Okay maybe we are getting somewhere.
We both have GT500 axel back mufflers and I did not hear this sound before I installed mine.
Did you?

I found a plastic clamp that was touching the spare tire well.
The clamp looks out of place.
I rotated the clamp and lines a bit so it no longer contacts the spare tire well / floor pan and so far so good.
It was 81F today.
I drove ~ 70 miles around town today and no buzz from 600 - 6500 RPM.

Old 5/30/14, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Okay maybe we are getting somewhere.
We both have GT500 axel back mufflers and I did not hear this sound before I installed mine.
Did you?

I found a plastic clamp that was touching the spare tire well.
The clamp looks out of place.
I rotated the clamp and lines a bit so it no longer contacts the spare tire well / floor pan and so far so good.
It was 81F today.
I drove ~ 70 miles around town today and no buzz from 600 - 6500 RPM.

Hey, so did this work?? I just got a chance to catch up. If it worked I'm very glad

With mine I checked, and the plastic tab is about 6" down and nowhere yours is. Near the plastic electronics mount. So it's definitely not it for me.

No, i didn't hear this noise before the GT500 exhaust went on, but I have just over 5000 miles on the car. The exhaust went on at ~4700.

I got more indication it's coming from behind/top of the dash. While idling in the garage today the top of the dash started making plasticity rattling noises, it was the light sensor on top of the dash. But while passing 3000 RPM on a 81 degree day I still heard the original noise coming from the vents while pushing down on the light sensor on the top of the dash. FML. I swear, I have a Monday morning car.
Old 5/31/14, 06:09 PM
GT Member

Hey, so did this work?? I just got a chance to catch up. If it worked I'm very glad

With mine I checked, and the plastic tab is about 6" down and nowhere yours is. Near the plastic electronics mount. So it's definitely not it for me.

No, i didn't hear this noise before the GT500 exhaust went on, but I have just over 5000 miles on the car. The exhaust went on at ~4700.

I got more indication it's coming from behind/top of the dash. While idling in the garage today the top of the dash started making plasticity rattling noises, it was the light sensor on top of the dash. But while passing 3000 RPM on a 81 degree day I still heard the original noise coming from the vents while pushing down on the light sensor on the top of the dash. FML. I swear, I have a Monday morning car.
Hi Marcin,
Yes it does seem to have solved my problem.
I still have no idea why that clamp has no mating hole.
I have anther one like you plugged into that black plastic cover.

Don't worry about "Monday Morning Cars". That old Wives' Tale is BS.
Old 7/22/14, 08:36 AM
GT Member

So I just figured out where the noise is coming from over the weekend. It is coming from the hand brake release button! I was able to push it in while it was making noise accelerating, and the noise would stop. I did this a few different times over the weekend. So at least I know where it's coming from .

Any ideas on how to fix it? Should I try spraying some silicone lubricant around the hand brake release button? Is there a way to take the park brake handle apart and try to fix it that way?