Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Track Pack Information

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/12, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX1016

Someone posted this on another forum. Probably the same thing you found.
Thats it.
Old 6/4/12, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

The oil cooler included in the GT Track pack is the same one from the Boss, right? If it is, I'm asking because Ford Racing is selling the Boss oil cooler, so adding it onto a car that didn't have it from the facotry shouldn't be too much work, right?

Last edited by Captain Spadaro; 6/4/12 at 02:32 PM.
Old 6/4/12, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Captain Spadaro
The oil cooler included in the GT Track pack is the same one from the Boss, right? If it is, I'm asking because Ford Racing is selling the Boss oil cooler, so adding it onto a car that didn't have it from the facotry shouldn't be too much work, right?
That is correct, adding the Boss oil cooler (If you didn't order the track pack) is a very straight-forward mod and worthwhile if you plan to track the car.

Another note about the Track Pack... I'm sure most of us here read the extensive article 5.0 magazine did on the Coyote engine back in 2010. In that article there are quotes from Ford engine engineers stating that the oil sees a lot of temperature rise when the engine is run at sustained rpm's above 5k. Well Ford recognized this on the Boss302 program and added a bunch of countermeasures to counteract the oil heat problem, those include: the larger radiator, the oil cooler, elimination of the piston oil squirters, and the use of 5W-50 oil. Now due to the success of the Boss (in customer hands) on track, Ford released the Track pack with all these countermeasures included.

This all just means for those of us who plan to take our cars to the track, we have nothing to worry about when it comes to engine oil temperatures. I, for one, and happy I waited for 2013 and had the ability to order such a car from the factory. Otherwise I would have spent more money adding these parts myself later just for that reason.
Old 6/4/12, 08:50 PM
GT Member

Captain Spadaro
The Boss 302 oil cooler works as a team with the Boss 302 radiator . The Boss 302 oil cooler put a biger load on the radiator so you need the biger Boss 302 radiator to handle the added heat form the oil cooler . You may what to thinking of going to a Roush upper grille to get more air flow into the radiator also.

I did all of the above when I did the change over to my 2011 Brembo GT.
Old 6/5/12, 07:22 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by 300AGT
Captain Spadaro
The Boss 302 oil cooler works as a team with the Boss 302 radiator . The Boss 302 oil cooler put a biger load on the radiator so you need the biger Boss 302 radiator to handle the added heat form the oil cooler . You may what to thinking of going to a Roush upper grille to get more air flow into the radiator also.

I run the Boss Oil cooler on the stock GT radiator and compete in NASA and ever have an issue with oil or coolant temp. The stock GT radiator will handle the boss oil cooler
Old 6/5/12, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
I run the Boss Oil cooler on the stock GT radiator and compete in NASA and ever have an issue with oil or coolant temp. The stock GT radiator will handle the boss oil cooler
Thanks for the real world info. I just installed the boss oil cooler with stock GT radiator after seeing crazy oil temps at track days (300 degrees, gauge max). Hoping this helps without raising coolant temp too much.
Old 6/6/12, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JScottGT
That is correct, adding the Boss oil cooler (If you didn't order the track pack) is a very straight-forward mod and worthwhile if you plan to track the car.

Another note about the Track Pack... I'm sure most of us here read the extensive article 5.0 magazine did on the Coyote engine back in 2010. In that article there are quotes from Ford engine engineers stating that the oil sees a lot of temperature rise when the engine is run at sustained rpm's above 5k. Well Ford recognized this on the Boss302 program and added a bunch of countermeasures to counteract the oil heat problem, those include: the larger radiator, the oil cooler, elimination of the piston oil squirters, and the use of 5W-50 oil. Now due to the success of the Boss (in customer hands) on track, Ford released the Track pack with all these countermeasures included.

This all just means for those of us who plan to take our cars to the track, we have nothing to worry about when it comes to engine oil temperatures. I, for one, and happy I waited for 2013 and had the ability to order such a car from the factory. Otherwise I would have spent more money adding these parts myself later just for that reason.
They eliminated the oil squirters because they were generating too much heat?
Old 6/6/12, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 300AGT
Captain Spadaro

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
Originally Posted by DUFUS
Thanks for the real world info. I just installed the boss oil cooler with stock GT radiator after seeing crazy oil temps at track days (300 degrees, gauge max). Hoping this helps without raising coolant temp too much.
Thanks for the info, guys. I assumed it would work with either radiator. Is the Boss radiator available through FRPP as well? I haven't checked in a while.
Old 6/8/12, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have had my track pack GT for a couple of weeks now and I was talking to my service manager about oil and oil changes. He said the oil should not be changed before the first time as specified by FORD. The reason being that there is a special additive the factory puts in to seat the rings. If taken out too soon you will probably get a clicking sound from the engine.
Old 6/8/12, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

if my rings didnt get seated in those first 900 miles of driving it like i stole it, then idn what else wouldve helped.

Last edited by the_bottomless_pit; 6/8/12 at 11:55 AM.
Old 6/8/12, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by karrnutt
I have had my track pack GT for a couple of weeks now and I was talking to my service manager about oil and oil changes. He said the oil should not be changed before the first time as specified by FORD. The reason being that there is a special additive the factory puts in to seat the rings. If taken out too soon you will probably get a clicking sound from the engine.
I haven't heard this before...and I believe you...but can someone else here verify this? I was going to do 1st oil change early but now I'm reconsidering. Thanks for the tip.
Old 6/8/12, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by G8toGT

I haven't heard this before...and I believe you...but can someone else here verify this? I was going to do 1st oil change early but now I'm reconsidering. Thanks for the tip.
I seated my rings day 1. Changed the oil at 1000 and 5000 and 10000 mi. I have 11500 now and it couldn't run stronger. No oil burn, smoke etc
Old 6/9/12, 09:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Additional backup comes from essex engine plant workers who are also aware of this break-in additive being added on the line.
Old 6/9/12, 10:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by karrnutt
My buddy is a mechanic for a local ford dealer and confirmed this. He said he had a customer with a 2012 mustang in this winter complaining about a knocking/pinging noise. The car had 2200 miles on it. The guy said he changed the oil within the first 100 miles of owning the car to Mobil 1. He says Ford uses a mix of synthetic and conventional oil as a break-in oil for the car and that it's not supposed to be switched out that early.
Old 6/9/12, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by smiley

My buddy is a mechanic for a local ford dealer and confirmed this. He said he had a customer with a 2012 mustang in this winter complaining about a knocking/pinging noise. The car had 2200 miles on it. The guy said he changed the oil within the first 100 miles of owning the car to Mobil 1. He says Ford uses a mix of synthetic and conventional oil as a break-in oil for the car and that it's not supposed to be switched out that early.
If he'd had 5 dyno pulls or so in that 100 miles, he'd been fine. As one poster stated, seat the rings!
Old 6/11/12, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was going to mention the 5w 50w weight thing a good while back and thought better of it. I was afraid I would start a riot and be stoned to death since oil threads always start a mess on any forum.
Old 1/9/13, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP - can you post a pic of the cast rear diff cover with the fins?

Great thread here - lots of good info, especially the little things that haven't been posted much before, like the diff cover, special TP data sheet, vented brake shields...

I'm ordering a '14 GT TP this weekend and this info is music to my ears!
Old 1/9/13, 10:20 PM
GT Member

Here's a pic I had on my phone, not the best of the diff but you can see it partially....
Attached Images  
Old 1/9/13, 10:34 PM
Cobra Member

So when exactly should the first oil change be done? Up to about 600 miles on mine now.
Old 1/10/13, 01:49 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steven46746
So when exactly should the first oil change be done? Up to about 600 miles on mine now.

My rule of thumb has always been with rebuilt motors after 500 miles, change all the fluids(motor, trans, differential, etc). But after talking to several Ford guys, I've been told to wait til the 1,000 mile mark.

If you have a standard(manual) transmission not to start a riot or anything: I also talked to a guy from MGW(Not sure who) who said that "If you're going to have problems with the MT-82, it'll be within the first 1,000 miles". So I'm going to wait on the fluids/oil change til the 1,000 mile mark most likely. That is after I order. Still waiting on the final bit of my finances to come through

Quick Reply: 2013 Track Pack Information