Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Track Pack Information

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/12, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Track Pack Information

I've had my 2013 Track Pack equipped GT for a couple days now and thought I would share some of the things I have found...

First: Engine Oil - All Track Pack Cars come filled from the factory with 5W-50 Full Synthetic Oil.
Name:  IMG_20120525_191150.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  61.6 KB
I have spoken with an engineer on the program and they told me that Track Pack cars do in fact get a slightly different calibration. Part of that is to account for the thicker 5W-50 oil, and the other more subtle changes are with engine braking. There may be other slightly differences, but these two are the most important for a car that is going on track.

Second: Rear Axle - The entire axle assembly is from the Boss302. Not only do we get the 3.73 gear and torsen differential, we also get the cast rear cover with the cooling fins integrated.
Old 5/30/12, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is awesome. Ive been losing sleep over this for 2 days now (not really). Im at 500 miles right now and I wanna change my oil at 1000 just to get all the machine filings out and replace the contaminated filter. However, I just couldn't figure out the why the owners manual and the the oil cap were so conflicting on my Track Pack mustang. Glad someone got to the bottom of it. Man this is gonna be an expensive lube job.
Old 5/30/12, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

What Oil Filter should I use on the Track Pack engine?
Old 5/30/12, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO
What Oil Filter should I use on the Track Pack engine?
Personally, I'd use K&N - they're great filters, plus they have a 1" nut on the end of the filter so you can just use a socket to remove it instead of an oil filter wrench, your hand, etc.

However, there's other good options like Mobil 1, Purolator's new Synthetic Oil Filters, Wix, Motorcraft and others. I think you're fine with any of those - I'd just avoid the lower-end ones like Fram or the auto parts stores in-house brands.
Old 5/30/12, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JScottGT
I've had my 2013 Track Pack equipped GT for a couple days now and thought I would share some of the things I have found...

First: Engine Oil - All Track Pack Cars come filled from the factory with 5W-50 Full Synthetic Oil.

I have spoken with an engineer on the program and they told me that Track Pack cars do in fact get a slightly different calibration. Part of that is to account for the thicker 5W-50 oil, and the other more subtle changes are with engine braking. There may be other slightly differences, but these two are the most important for a car that is going on track.

Second: Rear Axle - The entire axle assembly is from the Boss302. Not only do we get the 3.73 gear and torsen differential, we also get the cast rear cover with the cooling fins integrated.
Great info and pic!!
Old 5/30/12, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JScottGT

How do you know full synthetic is in the engine from the factory?
Old 5/30/12, 02:10 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

How do you know full synthetic is in the engine from the factory?
It's not. It needs to be run with conventional oil for proper break in.
Old 5/30/12, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone else oil cap look like the one above? Sorry don't have my stang yet
Old 5/30/12, 02:25 PM

I've been wondering about the track pack myself. Unfortunately Canada's delivery time is stupid and has since been delayed 3 weeks so no car until late June...
Old 5/30/12, 02:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jellowood
Does anyone else oil cap look like the one above? Sorry don't have my stang yet
Yeah, mine says 5w-50.
Old 5/30/12, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Yeah, mine says 5w-50.
Hmm so the cap says use 5w-50 but the manual says 5w-20? I only have a copy of the first printing of the manual
Old 5/30/12, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I just "Googled" this topic and found another forum where there was a quote "pissing match" going on about this. In the end the answer will be use what it says in the manual or call your dealer.
Old 5/30/12, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Hello
I think if you get the time and check the front dis brake dust shield you also find that there vented for better brake cooling just like the Boss 302 are.
Old 5/30/12, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, mine says 5w-50.
Wow. What in the world could make such a difference? There's an oil guy in another forum that swears to run 5w30 always instead of 5-20 . He says the only purpose of the 5-20 was for California emissions and is bad for your car in the long run. I stick with 5-20 but very interesting topic nonetheless.
Old 5/30/12, 03:22 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for clearing that up Jay. How's the car so far?
Old 5/30/12, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

My Track Pack Stang also has this 5W-50 Full Synthetic Cap on it. I talked to many car guys about this subject recently and they all say go with what it says on the cap.

The owners manual DOES NOT recognize Track Pack Mustangs at all probably because there is such small percentage of them that have been built. I am in total agreement with the OP, us Track Pack guys have slightly different engines than the regular GT guys. I will be be using 5W-50 Full Synthetic for the life of the car.
Old 5/30/12, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bingo guys! Just as i finished up my last post I looked through my Owners Manual Pouch and found a "Mustang GT Track Pack information Supplement Sheet". It Reads as follows...

The Following Mustang GT Track Pack information supplements information found in the Technical specifications chart in your owner manual.

Engine Oil (includes filter change):

8.5 quarts (8.0L)

Motorcraft 5W50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

XO-5W50-QGT/WSS-M2C931-B

It goes on to supplement the Engine coolant, Rear Axel Lubricant and Rear axel fluid friction modifier.

Im surprised Im the first to mention this Track Pack Supplement Sheet with all the speculation going on around the forums about this subject.

Well that pretty much puts this topic to bed, glad I could help.
Old 5/30/12, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Bingo guys! Just as i finished up my last post I looked through my Owners Manual Pouch and found a "Mustang GT Track Pack information Supplement Sheet". It Reads as follows...

The Following Mustang GT Track Pack information supplements information found in the Technical specifications chart in your owner manual.

8.5 quarts (8.0L)

XO-5W50-QGT/WSS-M2C931-B

It goes on to supplement the Engine coolant, Rear Axel Lubricant and Rear axel fluid friction modifier.

Im surprised Im the first to mention this Track Pack Supplement Sheet with all the speculation going on around the forums about this subject.

I was wondering about something like that. Good catch!
Old 5/30/12, 10:11 PM
GT Member

8.5 quarts (8.0L)

XO-5W50-QGT/WSS-M2C931-B

Someone posted this on another forum. Probably the same thing you found.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Track Pack Information-untitled.jpg  
Old 5/31/12, 03:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Someone posted this on another forum. Probably the same thing you found.
Good find gentlemen! Always good to see see some documentation to back things up

Quick Reply: 2013 Track Pack Information