2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/12, 11:56 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When people give me crap about my auto 5.0, I just tell them to line up their car against mine. No one has agreed to do that yet...
Old 4/11/12, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SouthernStang
When people give me crap about my auto 5.0, I just tell them to line up their car against mine. No one has agreed to do that yet...
Lol nice
Old 4/11/12, 04:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Java2011Mustang
That ultra-low 1st gear in the 6R80 is fantastic for launching the car!
^ also

GT TRANSMISSION 2011+
Standard 6-speed manual
1st gear ratio: 3.66

Optional 6-speed automatic
1st gear ratio: 4.17

even with a 3.15 rear end, that's equal to a manual car w/ a 3.59 axle ratio
Old 4/11/12, 08:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cinque35
^ also

GT TRANSMISSION 2011+
Standard 6-speed manual
1st gear ratio: 3.66

Optional 6-speed automatic
1st gear ratio: 4.17

even with a 3.15 rear end, that's equal to a manual car w/ a 3.59 axle ratio

Wow that is some good info...what about the other gears you think?
Old 4/12/12, 09:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Manual gears are more closely spaced so by the time you reach 6th they're about the same..

here, the transmission specs on pg 54. https://themustangsource.com/attachments/f726/101088d1328837906-2013-dealer-esource-more-2013-ford-pdfs-13_mustang_sb.pdf
Old 4/12/12, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I personally prefer a stick because it has always made me feel more a part of the car. That's why I got a standard with my jeep, along with the fact that it's far easier to crawl offroad with a stick.

When people give you crap about your wrist, show it to them. There's no reason to feel bad at their ignorance or insensitivity. Be comfortable with who you are.

Next time some jackass says something like that, tell them auto trannys are faster than most standards now, and only a "real man" can drive a stick past one of the autos.
I saw it differently. Auto on my jeep was not only bulletproof but far better on the rocks for me. I rember smelling clutches all the time while on the rocks.
Old 4/12/12, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cinque35
Manual gears are more closely spaced so by the time you reach 6th they're about the same..

here, the transmission specs on pg 54. https://themustangsource.com/attachments/f726/101088d1328837906-2013-dealer-esource-more-2013-ford-pdfs-13_mustang_sb.pdf

Thanks!!
Old 4/16/12, 10:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

wow...i mean I prefer a anual transmission. and thats what I got in my 2012 GT. But I am not gonna rag on people just b/c they got an auto. That dealer has some serious issues. I would be tempted to contact the general manager and complain
Old 4/17/12, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Five.Point.Oh
When my grandpa went to the dealership to order his first brand new car (a 1972 Mach 1), he said he wanted a 4-speed manual transmission. But, his wife was with him at the time and she said she wanted an automatic (she doesn't know how to drive a stick).So, anyways, when he got the car and showed it to everybody, they couldn't help but be amazed that it had such a rare and expensive option, because back then the automatics costed like $1000, which was like 1/4 the cost of the car! So, interpret that to your GT and the automatic option would be like $8,000!My grandpa loved that car and he was never ashamed of owning a higher-spec, automatic Mustang. You shouldn't be either...
Sorry, but this is not true. A 1972 Mach 1 started at a hair over $3,000. A c6 automatic on a 72 Mach 1 had a sticker price of ~$205.00 over the standard 3 speed manual, 1/15 the price of the base car. A 4 speed manual option cost virtually the same as the automatic.

Facts often change when they are passed down by word of mouth. Verify for yourself before believing anything anyone ever tells you.
Old 4/17/12, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by alrox

Sorry, but this is not true. A 1972 Mach 1 started at a hair over $3,000. A c6 automatic on a 72 Mach 1 had a sticker price of ~$205.00 over the standard 3 speed manual, 1/15 the price of the base car. A 4 speed manual option cost virtually the same as the automatic.

Facts often change when they are passed down by word of mouth. Verify for yourself before believing anything anyone ever tells you.
Really..
Old 4/17/12, 08:38 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my auto 12 but i cant ignore the inner gearhead in me telling me to get a manual. However, autos return better MPG's, are more consistent launching, better for cruising, and allow the driver to focus more on the road which in turn is safer. The manual is just for fun
Old 4/17/12, 09:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
and allow the driver to focus more on the road which in turn is safer.
uh...seriously? How much concentration does it take on your part to drive a standard if it actually requires you to take your attention off the road?? You're right, if it's that stressful on your cognitive abilities to drive a standard, you need to stick with the automatic.
Old 4/17/12, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

uh...seriously? How much concentration does it take on your part to drive a standard if it actually requires you to take your attention off the road?? You're right, if it's that stressful on your cognitive abilities to drive a standard, you need to stick with the automatic.
Haha! Agreed
Old 4/17/12, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I find it amusing that every thread I've seen asking about the selectshift feature, manages to turn into an automatic vs standard battle.
Old 4/17/12, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
I love my auto 12 but i cant ignore the inner gearhead in me telling me to get a manual. However, autos return better MPG's, are more consistent launching, better for cruising, and allow the driver to focus more on the road which in turn is safer. The manual is just for fun
For me is the opposite. I can honestly tell you that have been a couple of time when I almost got into an accident for almost falling asleep while driving my automatic Honda Accord after work. However I feel when driving my Mustang, not matter how tire or sleepy I feel I need to be ready and alert - because I'm the one that have to actually do the shifting. Granted there is not a lot gear shifting at highway speed - for me anyways - but I guess is the notion that there is something else I have to control and worry about when driving.
Old 4/17/12, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jmillz
I find it amusing that every thread I've seen asking about the selectshift feature, manages to turn into an automatic vs standard battle.
You and I both
Old 4/17/12, 11:13 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its subliminal concentration. For many shifting comes naturally, but others may need to think about it just a lil bit more. Especially if theyre still learning. Dont bash me for trying to speak about drivers in general. Settle down and actually think about what people say on forums. Just a lil friendly advice
Old 4/20/12, 09:56 AM

Well just a quick update, I finally broke down and ordered. A Sterling Gray GT/CS with Auto, Comfort Package, Electronics Package and Remote Start. I'm so excited... I think it's a little over optioned, bit what the heck, you only live once right?
Old 4/20/12, 10:10 AM

Since I received a private message "how does the auto shift work in 2013", I figured I share my experience in 13 auto GT premium with everyone:

The automatic transmission has following modes: P, R, N, D and S.

For normal auto driving, place the car in D.

For sportier shift, place the car in S and drive the car normally without any shifting.

For self shifting option, place the car in S and then press + or - to shift gears. At stop, car will be in 1st gear and will not shift up until you press +. You can shift from D to S while driving. For extra rev during drive, press - as appropriate and you will see the gears shifting downwards along with the accompanying rise in RPM. I notice a real hard acceleration with self shifting option when in 3rd gear.

I am still going easy and have barely revved past 4000 rpm since I only have about 300 miles in my car so far. Personally, I like this option and don't feel the need for a tune. Best of all worlds:
- No shifting during traffic
- Shifting the gears up and down with windows down for more aggressive driving
- Keeping the car in as high of a gear as possible to minimize rpm and get better gas mileage.

My 2 cents.
Old 4/20/12, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ry1980
Since I received a private message "how does the auto shift work in 2013", I figured I share my experience in 13 auto GT premium with everyone:

The automatic transmission has following modes: P, R, N, D and S.

For normal auto driving, place the car in D.

For sportier shift, place the car in S and drive the car normally without any shifting.

For self shifting option, place the car in S and then press + or - to shift gears. At stop, car will be in 1st gear and will not shift up until you press +. You can shift from D to S while driving. For extra rev during drive, press - as appropriate and you will see the gears shifting downwards along with the accompanying rise in RPM. I notice a real hard acceleration with self shifting option when in 3rd gear.

I am still going easy and have barely revved past 4000 rpm since I only have about 300 miles in my car so far. Personally, I like this option and don't feel the need for a tune. Best of all worlds:
- No shifting during traffic
- Shifting the gears up and down with windows down for more aggressive driving
- Keeping the car in as high of a gear as possible to minimize rpm and get better gas mileage.

My 2 cents.
Thanks a lot for the breakdown, one part confuses me though. Everyone keeps talking about how you can put it in S mode and it simply makes the automatic shifting sportier, which is very cool. That means you can use this mode WITHOUT using the +/- on the select shift? If so, and you also use the S mode for the select-shifting, how does the car know whether you want the sportier automatic mode, or you actually want to do the shifting? Since they said the car won't automatically upshift when in manual mode, I don't see how the modes could be the same for both?

Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question