Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question

Old 4/7/12, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question

Please don't make fun. I'm looking at getting a 2013 GT Mustang and since I have trouble with my wrist I'm going to have to get the Automatic Transmission.

So my question, has anyone driven the Auto in manual mode yet? How does it work? Do you have to get to a full stop to switch it back to auto-mode or is it something you can do on the fly, like with European cars? I'm upgrading from an '06 so any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 4/7/12, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

There are many more autos then sticks produced. No one is going to make fun of you..
From what I understand you can hold gears right into the limiter and it will let you manually downshift at any time So long as it won't cause the engine to over rev.
Old 4/7/12, 06:47 PM
GT Member

i spoke to cinque a bit about this in PM's. Some of the things he mentioned was you can start in 1/2/3 gear and it will automatically downshift so the engine doesnt stall out. Im sure he will chime in with a bit more info.
Old 4/7/12, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Solryan welcome to TMS

Best way to decide is by driving one seeing first hand.
Old 4/7/12, 07:01 PM

Awesome. I'm kinda self conscious about it, the dealerships here really haven't been very kind about it. I get a lot of smirks when I say Automatic and GT Mustang... But I've been hoping for some sort of Manual mode for a while,even if it's a button I'll take it lol, but I don't want to damage the engine because I forgot to downshift...
Old 4/7/12, 07:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SolRyan
Awesome. I'm kinda self conscious about it, the dealerships here really haven't been very kind about it. I get a lot of smirks when I say Automatic and GT Mustang... But I've been hoping for some sort of Manual mode for a while,even if it's a button I'll take it lol, but I don't want to damage the engine because I forgot to downshift...
You are obviously going to the wrong dealer or getting the wrong salesman if they are looking down their nose at you for wanting an automatic so you should just go to another dealer or salesman.

It won't damage anything by switching between manual(sport) mode and automatic mode at any time, either mode will just take over for the other as you change.

Automatic is great for drag racing too, much easier to launch.
Old 4/7/12, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can take off in third gear in the 12 I have now. Doesn't hurt anything but it's obviously sluggish getting rolling.
Old 4/7/12, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Nothing funny about an automatic, especially if you require it due to a medical condition. Find more mature salesmen at a more mature dealership. If they really wanna sell you a car they wouldn't be such buttheads.
Old 4/7/12, 08:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
You can take off in third gear in the 12 I have now. Doesn't hurt anything but it's obviously sluggish getting rolling.
12's have select shift? lol
Old 4/7/12, 08:27 PM

Thanks guys, y'all have been a great help. Yeah, so far I've gotten told I should just buy another car and I've also been told that I could just own up to not knowing how to drive a stick..like I'm enjoying having a degenerative disease in my wrist. No one at the dealership will answer my questions. I was really getting annoyed.

I'm really excited for the 2013 now... Now I just need to find one, and a decent dealer

Thanks again
Old 4/7/12, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys, y'all have been a great help. Yeah, so far I've gotten told I should just buy another car and I've also been told that I could just own up to not knowing how to drive a stick..like I'm enjoying having a degenerative disease in my wrist. No one at the dealership will answer my questions. I was really getting annoyed.

I'm really excited for the 2013 now... Now I just need to find one, and a decent dealer

Thanks again
Thats really messed up that people give u grief about it. Even in my car circle i also get grief but at the end of the day the automatic is every bit as fast as the manual mustangs compared up against most drivers. Ive done some racing in my day and the amount of people ive beaten just because they cant drive their "faster stick" car is quite comical.
Old 4/7/12, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would look for a different dealer then, no one is going to tell me what I should or should of got. Personally I thought of getting a manual car, but decided on auto because Im looking for a powerfull v8 muscle car, that will be a cruiser ,but with power where I need it most. Know that I will encounter many people that will look and say the typical "should of got a manual" but you only will hear it from 2 type of people : 1) average Joe that always thinks any sport car has to be a manual just because its a sport car
2) elitist folk, that think autos are for tards and people that don't know how to drive, and your not worthy of anything you do with your car (racing/track etc).
Old 4/7/12, 09:34 PM
V6 Member

I have driven a '13 auto, but it was a V6. Still, I can address any specific questions you may have.

I also agree with everyone else in this thread: Screw those jack-offs for giving you grief. Even if you didn't have a health concern, driving an automatic is nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 4/7/12, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RiceEatin2000GT
12's have select shift? lol
No... The pre-Select Shift auto's in 2011/12 Mustang allow you to manually select gears 1-2-3 then D-N-R-P.
Old 4/7/12, 09:44 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I have my 2011 GT Premium with AUTO - my wife can't drive stick and I want her to enjoy our car, too. I had my first track day last weekend. I put the AdvanceTrac into Sport Mode for each session, and I dis-engaged the Overdrive. The car was a champ on the track, even my instructor was impressed at how the Auto handled the track and held gears for as long as you kept your right foot on it. You get what you like, and enjoy it. Real car guys don't care if you have a manual or an auto, only jerks with their own opinions.
Old 4/7/12, 09:46 PM

Yeah, I've heard junk about my auto for years, but once people see the problem with my hand they back off. This year has been the first time I've heard a dealership bother me over it. I was trying to find an auto in the spec I wanted and got the "an auto?" and smirk. I made the mistake of just looking at a used '12 Boss last month and had a dealer tell me that a real man could teach me to drive a stick, just because I walked up to the car to look... I can't wait for the process to be over lol...
Old 4/7/12, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by 13TrackPack
I have driven a '13 auto, but it was a V6. Still, I can address any specific questions you may have.

I also agree with everyone else in this thread: Screw those jack-offs for giving you grief. Even if you didn't have a health concern, driving an automatic is nothing to be ashamed of.
In manual mode, did it downshift for you if you dropped to too low a rev? Also, were the shifts fairly fast, I guess I'm wondering about lurch... Lol
Old 4/7/12, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, I've heard junk about my auto for years, but once people see the problem with my hand they back off. This year has been the first time I've heard a dealership bother me over it. I was trying to find an auto in the spec I wanted and got the "an auto?" and smirk. I made the mistake of just looking at a used '12 Boss last month and had a dealer tell me that a real man could teach me to drive a stick, just because I walked up to the car to look... I can't wait for the process to be over lol...
" a real man could teach you how to drive a stick" wow, at that point I would flip it on his head for saying that, I know some people have that kind of mentality and might say it as a joke, but anyway he would of known I don't like it afterwards really quick. But if you can look past this, and hold on until you get your car, you wont have to listen to them, just to the nice v8 in front
Old 4/7/12, 10:18 PM
V6 Member

In manual mode, did it downshift for you if you dropped to too low a rev? Also, were the shifts fairly fast, I guess I'm wondering about lurch... Lol
Nope, it didn't drop the gears for me. Though I only had this situation come up at one point where I came to a stop in third and it stayed in third while I was stopped. So, I dropped it down to first and took off from 1st again. I don't know what would happen if you tried the same thing in 5th or 6th.

Lurch is minimal but definitely present. This is just my opinion, but the small time it takes to engage the gear you selected is comparable to the time it takes for a manual driver to disengage the clutch, shift, and engage again. The car keeps revving even after you hit the button until the next gear is engaged, though, so that's a plus. For instance, these cars redline at 7k, and if you up-shift at 6500 the car keeps pulling and engages the new gear right at 7k.

Last edited by 13TrackPack; 4/7/12 at 10:20 PM.
Old 4/7/12, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
" a real man could teach you how to drive a stick" wow, at that point I would flip it on his head for saying that, I know some people have that kind of mentality and might say it as a joke, but anyway he would of known I don't like it afterwards really quick. But if you can look past this, and hold on until you get your car, you wont have to listen to them, just to the nice v8 in front
Yeah, I snapped at that. I'm normally mature enough to walk away, but he hit me wrong and he heard about... I think half the dealership did actually....

I will definitely take yalls advice and see if I can get better treatment from another dealer. I want my Mustang and very little is going to keep me from getting it... I've waited 3 years to be in the position to get a new one... And dang it I'm getting it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question