Sponsored By:

2012 MUSTANG V6 - NEW BREAK IN ENGINE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/11, 11:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 MUSTANG V6 - NEW BREAK IN ENGINE HELP

Hey Everyone,

I am fairly new to this and this is my first brand new car. I Just got a 2012 Mustang V6 Premium.

I got the car with about 80km (sorry for the metrics to my fellow Americans), I now have about 700km after a few days of driving.

I was trying to break in the engine like many people have suggested. However, of course within hours of being on the road, I get these little kids with souped up civics trying to rev their engine at me..... I couldn't take it no more and I had to see how much power this beast had.....

After punching the gun on this bad boy.... i realized that I probably shouldnt have done that. Anyways, my question is....

1) is there really a break in period? if so, did i mess it up by racings about 5 or 6 times and of course i accidentally redlined a couple times and grinded the gears about 3 times trying to figure out the feel of the car when racing.

2) I average about 18/100km .....is this normal? or will it get lower as the engine breaks in because the manual and window sticker says i should be averaging about 11.1/100km with city driving.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 7/11/11, 12:29 PM

the consensus is to just basically vary your RPM (i.e. don't just cruise for a long period on the highway) and take it to red line once a day or a few, but not too many times
Old 7/11/11, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

Thanks, for the most part i have been changing up speeds (not going more than 80km other than those few times i raced)

do you have any suggestions for doing the first few oil changes? i wanted to switch over to full synthetic but i heard it shouldnt be done until at least 5000km

however should i be doing an oil change at like 1000km, 3000km and then start regular intervals at 5000km for every 5000km?
Old 7/11/11, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip
Thanks, for the most part i have been changing up speeds (not going more than 80km other than those few times i raced)

do you have any suggestions for doing the first few oil changes? i wanted to switch over to full synthetic but i heard it shouldnt be done until at least 5000km

however should i be doing an oil change at like 1000km, 3000km and then start regular intervals at 5000km for every 5000km?
Was it fast? U beat the ricers? Lol my gf's uncle has a twin turbo civic. Says he could beat me if i bought a V6

Howd u do?

And to your questions, i wouldnt worry about it too much. At least u were varying ur speed
Old 7/11/11, 12:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
Was it fast? U beat the ricers? Lol my gf's uncle has a twin turbo civic. Says he could beat me if i bought a V6

Howd u do?

And to your questions, i wouldnt worry about it too much. At least u were varying ur speed

Well after demolishing the first civic..... i realized it was such a joke.... so the 2nd time an acura tried racing me at the red lights.... i gave him a head start and let her rip.....

i started pulling away in 2nd gear lol

twin turbo civic? im not sure ..... even though they are lighter.... i still think the stang has the edge
Old 7/11/11, 01:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to worry about as far as hitting redline on breakin, the thing is just to not hold it at that high rpm for any extended time.

I guarantee you that if it had 80km on it when you got it then someone has run it hard already anyway.
Old 7/11/11, 01:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Nothing to worry about as far as hitting redline on breakin, the thing is just to not hold it at that high rpm for any extended time.

I guarantee you that if it had 80km on it when you got it then someone has run it hard already anyway.

Yeah thanks, i only redlined it a few times for not more than 2 seconds if that.....

does anyone know how long i have to break in the engine? i know the manual says 1000 miles or 1600kms.... but does that mean i cant drive on the highway until i hit that mark?

will i get better fuel economy as the engine starts to break in?

im currently only getting 17/100km

so are you guys saying that those few races i've had shouldnt really affect the car and its engine?

thanks guys
Old 7/11/11, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flip

Yeah thanks, i only redlined it a few times for not more than 2 seconds if that.....

does anyone know how long i have to break in the engine? i know the manual says 1000 miles or 1600kms.... but does that mean i cant drive on the highway until i hit that mark?

will i get better fuel economy as the engine starts to break in?

im currently only getting 17/100km

so are you guys saying that those few races i've had shouldnt really affect the car and its engine?

thanks guys
I drove on the highway my first day of ownership of my car. 45 miles of highway driving. All I did was vary the rpm every couple minutes cycling from 4-5-6 punching it from every rest stop.

From what I've read with engine break in you did a good service punching it. Gives a good seat on the piston rings with the extreme pressures at high RPMs. Your car will be perfectly fine. Will outlast any babied mustangs out there. LOL.

For how long, I've read that piston rings ( if sealed properly) will seal within the first 150-300 miles but to be safe I just would continue with varied rpm driving till about 1000 miles.

Gas milage should begin to improve into the thousands. I'm getting 13-14 mpg but she's a hungry 5.0 and I have to much fun.

Enjoy your car!!!

Last edited by flySWA737; 7/11/11 at 01:34 PM.
Old 7/11/11, 01:52 PM
Cobra Member

Drive it like you stole it. I seated the rings on mine with 4 miles on the odometer driving off the car lot .I tried to push my foot threw the firewall since day one. Car couldn't run stronger now -3050 miles

I get 26 MPG on the highway. 22-23 mpg between fill ups.

Last edited by 2012GT; 7/11/11 at 01:54 PM.
Old 7/11/11, 01:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
I drove on the highway my first day of ownership of my car. 45 miles of highway driving. All I did was vary the rpm every couple minutes cycling from 4-5-6 punching it from every rest stop.

From what I've read with engine break in you did a good service punching it. Gives a good seat on the piston rings with the extreme pressures at high RPMs. Your car will be perfectly fine. Will outlast any babied mustangs out there. LOL.

For how long, I've read that piston rings ( if sealed properly) will seal within the first 150-300 miles but to be safe I just would continue with varied rpm driving till about 1000 miles.

Gas milage should begin to improve into the thousands. I'm getting 13-14 mpg but she's a hungry 5.0 and I have to much fun.

Enjoy your car!!!

Thanks, i will continue to vary the rpms.... i wasnt sure about pushing the car to such high rpms so early on... but after reading the advice... i will continue to do what im doing... thanks a lot guys for the info.. much appreciated