Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 5.0,lots of smoke cylinder 8 misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/11, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I was just saying that after everything that has happened and the money you've already spent plus what you're going to have to spend, you would have been better off buying a GT500 to begin with if your goal was a streetable, reliable, 6-700 hp Mustang. My saying its too late for that was more of a "hindsight is 20/20" kind of thing.

As far as what the stock 5.0 will handle, well that remains to be seen and is mostly speculation. There's no long term data on how they will hold up years down the road, its a new combination. Just because a few people have done it and they haven't grenaded yet doesn't mean it isn't on the horizon. Whereas the GT500 has years of data with the cars making massive power and being fairly reliable with it. I'm not knocking the 5.0, I'm just saying that this early in the 5.0 modding game, its way to soon to be sure what the future holds when you throw boost at it in stock form.

As far as you being able to sell it? I'm sure someone will buy it. But not for what you think its worth. Any money you have spent on the tranny etc. is gone. Not to mention what it will cost just to repair it to stock, and the massive depreciation since it is now basically a brand new car that has no warranty and has been pieced together with non-original parts. Add all that together plus the price of the car and I would say you are well into GT500 with a blower upgrade territory.
Lol, you're probably right. I'd rather have a 5.0 and make it my own though. I read that it would cost 3k to fix it at a Ford dealer...so it's 3k fix vs 10k...
Old 8/11/11, 11:06 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Why would you spend $3k just to have the possibility of it happening again. I'm not saying spend 10k, but you've got the TR6060, why throw a stock coyote back in there and risk another #8 if you add a tune?

I'm only asking what I'm thinking. I'm not trying to say you are wrong. I just want to understand.
Old 8/11/11, 11:20 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 624 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by unas2k5
Lol, you're probably right. I'd rather have a 5.0 and make it my own though. I read that it would cost 3k to fix it at a Ford dealer...so it's 3k fix vs 10k...
Oh, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with what you're doing, I was just looking at it from my perspective. I respect your vision of what you want, trust me, I've had plenty of people look at me and say "wtf were you thinking" through the years with some of the car decisions I've made.
Old 8/11/11, 11:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Why would you spend $3k just to have the possibility of it happening again. I'm not saying spend 10k, but you've got the TR6060, why throw a stock coyote back in there and risk another #8 if you add a tune?

I'm only asking what I'm thinking. I'm not trying to say you are wrong. I just want to understand.
There are tunes out there that haven't caused the #8 issue. 10K is a lot to spend and it wont even make my car faster. I found a rotating assembly for $1200 thats good for 1000WHP and I'm looking into what the install on that would be. I don't understand why labor has to be 3k+.
Old 8/11/11, 11:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with what you're doing, I was just looking at it from my perspective. I respect your vision of what you want, trust me, I've had plenty of people look at me and say "wtf were you thinking" through the years with some of the car decisions I've made.

I want your opinion...what would you do?
Old 8/12/11, 02:46 AM
GT Member

you have a link to a boss short block.

really should cover what you want to do..

better tuner next time.

beers
Old 8/12/11, 02:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, thanks to you.

I emailed you BTW.
Attached Images  
Old 8/12/11, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

There are tunes out there that haven't caused the #8 issue. 10K is a lot to spend and it wont even make my car faster. I found a rotating assembly for $1200 thats good for 1000WHP and I'm looking into what the install on that would be. I don't understand why labor has to be 3k+.
Sit there and watch them pull the engine out, rip it down, assemble it with new parts and then put it back in. Then you'll understand why it's 3k in labor. It's not exactly a walk in the park to do a motor in these cars.
Old 8/13/11, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok guys.

I just bought a 2012 Boss 302 Shortblock assembly and Boss intake manifold.

Forged pistons beefier internals...
Old 8/13/11, 04:57 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 624 Likes on 449 Posts
That's great. I hope you can get back on the road soon and enjoy your car before winter hits.
Old 8/13/11, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's great. I hope you can get back on the road soon and enjoy your car before winter hits.
Thank you,

I got it for half the price too. Do you guys think I should run the oil squirters like the 5.0 or not like the Boss? I'm thinking it's safer and it would cool down the pistons if I ran the oil squirters.

Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking the boss has the 32 extra HP because of the manifold... I bought a new manifold for $200.
Old 8/13/11, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Swoope
you have a link to a boss short block.

really should cover what you want to do..

better tuner next time.

beers
I bought it!! Thanks you!!
Old 8/13/11, 10:42 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking the boss has the 32 extra HP because of the manifold... I bought a new manifold for $200.
The Boss gets a big boost in HP from the combination of the Boss heads+the Boss intake.
Old 8/14/11, 01:02 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smike308
The Boss gets a big boost in HP from the combination of the Boss heads+the Boss intake.
At the top end.
Old 8/14/11, 10:05 PM

I have a 2012 5.0 at 1415 miles with no tune (stock) and almost didn't make it back home (1/2 mile). Towed to Ford dealer and they determined #8 misfire! Engine was one plus quart of oil low and I strugeled to keep the RPMs close to 3000 in first gear as it trying to die in second. Also something smelled hot eventhough gauges indicated no problem! White smoke left bank1 Appears to run O.K.now. Two previous days it hesitated as if it was cold --never did that before. All this with the stock factory tune! think I will take it back to the dealer and have the compression checked.

Last edited by GT12; 8/14/11 at 10:11 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 06:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GT12
I have a 2012 5.0 at 1415 miles with no tune (stock) and almost didn't make it back home (1/2 mile). Towed to Ford dealer and they determined #8 misfire! Engine was one plus quart of oil low and I strugeled to keep the RPMs close to 3000 in first gear as it trying to die in second. Also something smelled hot eventhough gauges indicated no problem! White smoke left bank1 Appears to run O.K.now. Two previous days it hesitated as if it was cold --never did that before. All this with the stock factory tune! think I will take it back to the dealer and have the compression checked.
Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on what the dealer does.
Old 8/15/11, 11:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GT12

Interesting BECAUSE this is your very first post and your occupation is "Engineering Tech" and you described the issue like you did .... I'm having trouble believing this! What dealership did you take your car to? Post a picture of the paperwork from the dealership to prove this.

"Towed it back to dealer, dealer determined #8 misfire" " I will take it back to the dealer to have the compression checked"

Last edited by unas2k5; 8/15/11 at 11:40 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
At the top end.

Do you think I should get the manifold? Will it make my car faster? I read some threads on the s197 forums and they were having to shift at 7800RPMS which is insane... Not sure if I want it. I also read on there that theres no re-tune needed for it.

Thanks
Old 8/16/11, 05:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you,

I got it for half the price too. Do you guys think I should run the oil squirters like the 5.0 or not like the Boss? I'm thinking it's safer and it would cool down the pistons if I ran the oil squirters.

According to the article in MM&FF, the oil squirters were capped off to reduce the robbing of horsepower as the RPMs went higher. I might not have that all the way correct, but there was a definite reason they were not enabled.
Old 8/16/11, 09:36 AM
GT Member

Interesting BECAUSE this is your very first post and your occupation is "Engineering Tech" and you described the issue like you did .... I'm having trouble believing this! What dealership did you take your car to? Post a picture of the paperwork from the dealership to prove this.
Was thinking the same thing....

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0,lots of smoke cylinder 8 misfire.