Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/10, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Here's my two cents on why it's reasonable to change twice as often as other people:

If you drive your car like the average person, then, yes, follow the average guidelines for a change every 10k.

Say an average person's engine sees about 1.5k rpm on average throughout all of its miles. We'll say it needs a change every 10k miles.

What if you drive so aggressively that your engine sees 3k rpm on average? The amount of engine wear does not depend on miles. It depends on how many times your rotating parts rotate, and how many times your pistons move up and down (ok - and the load/stress on those parts, which only helps my point, so lets ignore it for now). So the person who has driven aggressively and kept their average rpm's at 3k rpm, will have twice as much engine wear - and I assume half as much oil life.

If you drive with the flow of traffic, like Ford engineers expect the average driver to, then yeah, change it every 10k miles. If you drive the snot out of your car every day, then you really should change your oil alot more frequently.
The IOLM takes everything you just mentioned into consideration, If your average rpm rises or you have an increased number of cold starts it decreases your mileage. Its much more sophisticated than the old dumb OLM.

You are 100% correct that mileage should be decreased over average for extreme conditions. Extreme would be a person who "warms up" their car 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening 5 days a week. Thats the equivalent of an extra 1387 miles a month on the oil.
Old 6/11/10, 02:02 PM
GT Member

I'm typically guilty of overkill when it comes to oil changes. My Mustangs never went more than 4k miles, and always got synthetic. My current Ram truck goes ~6-7k miles between changes, and it too gets synthetics.

Like I said, guilty as charged, but I feel better about it (perhaps wrongly so).
Old 6/11/10, 03:23 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I just came back from my 'Free' oil change. They told me i didn't need it changed yet with just 500 miles. I told them my coupon expires next week.....With just 500 miles, i got my oil changed on my V-6 with synthetic blend. Didn't cost me one cent.

The guy that changed my oil was shocked it held 6 quarts. He told me he put 5 quarts in, it showed low. Then he put another 1/2 quart, still showing low. He put the rest of the 6th quart of oil in. Showed to the full line. My Mustang was the first 2011 they had changed the oil on.

I asked the guy that did the paperwork for the cars that are to have their oil changed, "what kind of oil does the 5.0L use"? He told me he wasn't sure if it was a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

Seems like they don't know very much about the 2011 Mustangs. I checked my oil level when i got home to make sure it was full. This is at a little 'quick lube' at the Ford dealership i bought my Mustang from.
Old 6/11/10, 04:48 PM
FR500 Member

FWIW, even if it doesn't see too many miles, a car that sees only short trips and has oil that "sits" should still be changed (along with the filter) on a regular basis because the oil will eventually break down and lose some of its lubrication/protective properties. The oil in the engine also contains the byproducts of combustion which accumulates and becomes acidic. Obviously not good for the internals.
Old 6/11/10, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gene K
The IOLM takes everything you just mentioned into consideration, If your average rpm rises or you have an increased number of cold starts it decreases your mileage. Its much more sophisticated than the old dumb OLM.
Nice
Old 6/12/10, 01:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD
I'm typically guilty of overkill when it comes to oil changes. My Mustangs never went more than 4k miles, and always got synthetic. My current Ram truck goes ~6-7k miles between changes, and it too gets synthetics.

Like I said, guilty as charged, but I feel better about it (perhaps wrongly so).
I am shocked by this bob. You are really a car guy and you are very smart mechanically. I have a hight reguard for your opinion on mechanics. I am shocked you change oil so often. It cant hurt but I think its a waste. I dont bean on cars like you do but I still try to take care of them.

I am not a drag racer like you but I try to take care of them. Take care and I would love to meet you one day. Im a old chevy guy but love the 5 liter. I have a 4.64v now and I love it. I have never been to the drag stip but I would like for you to school me. I am a total rookie.
Old 6/12/10, 12:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by David Young
(excerpted) The guy that changed my oil was shocked it held 6 quarts. He told me he put 5 quarts in, it showed low. Then he put another 1/2 quart, still showing low. He put the rest of the 6th quart of oil in. Showed to the full line. My Mustang was the first 2011 they had changed the oil on.

Seems like they don't know very much about the 2011 Mustangs. I checked my oil level when i got home to make sure it was full. This is at a little 'quick lube' at the Ford dealership i bought my Mustang from.
Agreed, David. And for the new 5.0 owners who take their cars to a shop for an oil change, better make sure they know the engine oil capacity is 8 quarts with filter. I'd like to think all shops check the oil level before returning the car to the owner, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

As for me, I enjoy doing my own oil changes. It helps me get to know my car better since it's up on ramps in the garage and I can roll around on the creeper to inspect and observe. Cars today are almost so maintenance-free (witness the 10K mile change ...and what is the spark plug interval now? 100K miles?? I haven't checked that yet) that the oil change (and air filter) is about the only excuse I have left to really get my fingernails dirty with the car. Such a change from 20-30 years ago (and I'm not complaining, either, LOL).

Last edited by guest01; 6/12/10 at 01:01 PM.
Old 6/12/10, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Whats the 1st. (5.0) factory recommended oil change?
Old 6/12/10, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GJM20115.0
Whats the 1st. (5.0) factory recommended oil change?
GJM: According to the Ford Mustang owners manual, it looks like Ford is recommending owners use the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor that's in the instrument cluster message center to determine when to change the oil. Below is an excerpt from the 2011 Ford Owners Manual (note: there is also a Special Operating Conditions schedule):

NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE AND LOG

For your convenience, your vehicle is equipped with a message center
which determines the proper oil change service interval. You should
perform the engine oil change as indicated by the instrument cluster
message center. The message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE
SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is
needed. The engine oil change service needs to be completed within two
weeks or 500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED
message is displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one
year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km). Reset your Intelligent Oil Life
Monitor™ after each engine oil and filter change; refer to the
Instrument Cluster chapter.

If your message center is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at six months 5,000 miles
(8,000 km) from your last oil change.

Note: On Shelby GT500 models, your message center is NOT
equipped with this feature. Refer to your Shelby GT 500 supplement for
oil change service intervals.

Also, here is a photo of the Scheduled Maintenance Guide for other maintenance items:

Youtube video of the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (in 2011 F350 SuperDuty):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4uHmGdDmas

Disclaimer: As always, consult your owners manual to determine what schedule is required for your car.

Last edited by guest01; 6/12/10 at 01:56 PM.
Old 6/12/10, 01:47 PM
GT Member

I just noticed that my last post in this thread may cause some confusion re the automatic transmission. The owners manual is somewhat confusing in this regard too in their example. The 30,000 mile interval they mention in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide photo example refers to the schedule for Special Operating Conditions, not normal operating conditions. The automatic and manual transmission oil change schedule for normal operating conditions are the same as illustrated in the photo in my post.

Disclaimer: As always, consult your owners manual to determine what schedule is required for your car.

Last edited by guest01; 6/12/10 at 01:48 PM.
Old 6/12/10, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks!
Old 6/12/10, 02:15 PM

I do my own oil changes too. I just couldn't pass up the 'Free' oil change from my dealer. This morning i checked to make sure my oil filter was tight. Everything looks good.
Old 6/12/10, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love how it says "Every 150,000 miles". It seemed like my last manual just kinda trailed off into oblivion after 150,000 miles.
Old 6/12/10, 03:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
I love how it says "Every 150,000 miles". It seemed like my last manual just kinda trailed off into oblivion after 150,000 miles.
ROFL! Good point! Maybe it should say "change transmissions" every 150,000 (probably more true for the auto since they don't seem to last as long without requiring more expensive repairs). It will be interesting to see how durable the 6R80 is. It seems to be a heavy-duty transmission (originally made for trucks/big suv's) ...I'm hopeful.
Old 6/12/10, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by chevys
I am shocked by this bob. You are really a car guy and you are very smart mechanically. I have a hight reguard for your opinion on mechanics. I am shocked you change oil so often. It cant hurt but I think its a waste. I dont bean on cars like you do but I still try to take care of them.
Ya, like I said...guilty as charged!

Where abouts do you live? I'm in Knoxville, TN.
Old 6/12/10, 03:24 PM

The 'quick lube' at my dealer put down my next oil change should be done at 5,000 miles after the one they did to my Mustang. I'll never go back to them because i do my own oil changes.
Old 6/14/10, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

While on the topic, has anyone noticed their 5.0 a little low on oil? I've got about 2400km (1500 miles) on the car and the oil is almost at the add mark.

The car will most likely use a bit of oil during break-in, but just wondering if everyone else is seeing the same amount of consumption?
Old 6/14/10, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
While on the topic, has anyone noticed their 5.0 a little low on oil? I've got about 2400km (1500 miles) on the car and the oil is almost at the add mark.

The car will most likely use a bit of oil during break-in, but just wondering if everyone else is seeing the same amount of consumption?
Curious how you broke it in ???
Old 6/14/10, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I've kept it in the city for the most part, lots of heat cycles, lots of varied RPM's. For the first 1000km's there was quite a few of roll on wot runs to around 4500 - 6000 rpm in 2nd gear mostly. Always waited for the operating temps to get up there before giving it some gas.

Hit the soft limiter four or five times now and ran it thru the gears, ***** out (up to 5th) once. Most of the time it's only made it up to 3rd gear in a "spirited" run. Had the car up to 110 mph.

I'm a believer in seating the rings and such early on... But don't beat on the car either. There's a fine line.
Old 6/14/10, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Agree

Quick Reply: 2011 Oil Change