2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/14, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 cobra?

Hey all, I am new to this forum and Mustangs in general. About a year ago my fiancé's father passed away. He left her a 2011 Mustang GT. We are currently in the process of selling the Mustang to pay for our wedding but I have hit a snag. The Mustang has Cobra badges located under the 5.0 badge on the sides. I received a very nasty email from a gentlemen on craigslist telling me that I was falsely advertising what the Mustang was. After I promptly told him to go to hell I did some research and can not find another mustang for 2011 with cobra badges located on it. In fact I can not find a single picture of a Mustang that looks like the one I am currently selling. I was hoping you guys could help shed some light on all of this for me.

I very much appreciate any help you all can provide thank you in advance. I attached two photos to hopefully help.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 cobra?-img_0909.jpg   2011 cobra?-img_1012.jpg  
Old 7/29/14, 08:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not a cobra, Badges were just put on it. Engine shots would help to solve this as well but definitely not a cobra.
Old 7/29/14, 08:43 PM

engine

engine pic. full engine bay pic to follow
Attached Thumbnails 2011 cobra?-img_1021.jpg  
Old 7/29/14, 08:45 PM

engine bay

pics wouldn't upload. It makes sense that the badges were just added. hopefully I don't catch to much nonsense over it in a sale.
Old 7/29/14, 08:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Just a normal Mustang GT, I would remove the badges they are probably just stuck on with double sided tape. Sorry you caught flack over it.
Old 7/29/14, 08:58 PM
Cobra R Member

also if you want to get more info on the car to help you sell it, you can use the vin and

http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Numbe...cker/Ford.html

that website to see the original window sticker on the car.
Old 7/29/14, 09:06 PM

thank you

Originally Posted by rmurer
Just a normal Mustang GT, I would remove the badges they are probably just stuck on with double sided tape. Sorry you caught flack over it.

Thank you I appreciate it. Hopefully ill be back on here in a couple years with a Mustang of my own, fell in love with this car.
Old 7/29/14, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brandon...don't worry about catching flak in a sale. There's a subset of Mustang enthusiasts that have an obsession with "mislabeled" Mustangs. Buyers interested in the car most likely won't be the same guys sending you emails preaching about the badges. We even see it here on the forums when somebody posts up pics of badges they've added to their own cars. It's just a simple badge that somebody liked the look of and added it to the car. It's seriously no biggie.
Old 7/29/14, 09:18 PM

thanks

Originally Posted by db2797
Brandon...don't worry about catching flak in a sale. There's a subset of Mustang enthusiasts that have an obsession with "mislabeled" Mustangs. Buyers interested in the car most likely won't be the same guys sending you emails preaching about the badges. We even see it here on the forums when somebody posts up pics of badges they've added to their own cars. It's just a simple badge that somebody liked the look of and added it to the car. It's seriously no biggie.
I appreciate the input, thank you. I think I will leave the badge for now just make note of it in the ad that I post. If they want to remove it they can.
Old 7/29/14, 09:25 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I would pull those cobras off. They should be easy to remove. Just two sided tape holding them on. People will contact you just to give you crap about them and they may even cost you a sale or two. Yes just those cobras is that serious to a lot of people. Serious buyers for a GT will turn away from yours just because of those badges. Save yourself some trouble and get them off. Good luck with the sale.
Old 7/29/14, 09:40 PM
Banned

Hell I've seen people get upset because someone put a 4.0 badge on the side of a 4.0 Mustang. Apparently since the car didn't come with a 4.0 badge from the factory it was a HUGE deal. There are a whole lot of people in this world who need to get a life and follow that up with a big fat cup of shut the f**k up. lol Personally it wouldn't bother me if a used GT had Cobra badges on the side. I would be more concerned with the condition of the car than a couple of stupid badges. In all honesty I would take them off if I bought the car because I think its a mistake to advertise a performance level that your car can't deliver. But it wouldn't make me mad that they were on there. I actually once knew a guy who put the old 5.0 Mustang badge on the side of his Mitsubishi Starrion. This was early 1990's mind you. I asked him why he would do such a thing and he said that he did it so people would leave him alone in traffic. lol I said "Just the opposite is going to happen."

Last edited by White2010; 7/29/14 at 09:41 PM.
Old 7/29/14, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
Hell I've seen people get upset because someone put a 4.0 badge on the side of a 4.0 Mustang. Apparently since the car didn't come with a 4.0 badge from the factory it was a HUGE deal. There are a whole lot of people in this world who need to get a life and follow that up with a big fat cup of shut the f**k up. lol Personally it wouldn't bother me if a used GT had Cobra badges on the side. I would be more concerned with the condition of the car than a couple of stupid badges. In all honesty I would take them off if I bought the car because I think its a mistake to advertise a performance level that your car can't deliver. But it wouldn't make me mad that they were on there. I actually once knew a guy who put the old 5.0 Mustang badge on the side of his Mitsubishi Starrion. This was early 1990's mind you. I asked him why he would do such a thing and he said that he did it so people would leave him alone in traffic. lol I said "Just the opposite is going to happen."
Agree 100%. The truth is that I wouldn't even want to deal with somebody in a sale that made a big deal about something as petty as a badge. They are very likely to become a big giant pain in your butt if they "find" something else after they buy the car that you "hid" from them in their eyes. Working in retail when I was in my college days made me realize just how some customers were definitely more trouble than they were worth. They are the 80 percenters. They take up 80% of your time and give you 80% of your stress for 20% of your sales.
Old 7/29/14, 11:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by db2797
Agree 100%. The truth is that I wouldn't even want to deal with somebody in a sale that made a big deal about something as petty as a badge. They are very likely to become a big giant pain in your butt if they "find" something else after they buy the car that you "hid" from them in their eyes. Working in retail when I was in my college days made me realize just how some customers were definitely more trouble than they were worth. They are the 80 percenters. They take up 80% of your time and give you 80% of your stress for 20% of your sales.
I call them "filler" - we all have our terms and our own percentages.

Still, I'd take the badges off. It will make your whole selling process go easier. Trust us.
Old 7/30/14, 07:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I call them "filler" - we all have our terms and our own percentages.

Still, I'd take the badges off. It will make your whole selling process go easier. Trust us.
we are borg
Old 7/30/14, 07:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

we are borg
Resistance is futile.
Old 7/30/14, 10:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've heard that folks have good luck removing badges with dental floss.

Otherwise, the car looks nice. Good luck with the sale and congrats on your wedding!

Personally, I'd scale back the wedding and keep the hot rod.
Old 7/30/14, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I've heard that folks have good luck removing badges with dental floss.

Otherwise, the car looks nice. Good luck with the sale and congrats on your wedding!

Personally, I'd scale back the wedding and keep the hot rod.
So much this^
Do you really want to marry a girl who's gonna make you sell a car like that?
Old 7/30/14, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack
So much this^ Do you really want to marry a girl who's gonna make you sell a car like that?
My fiancée told me to order my 2014 GT instead if buy her a new Fusion
Old 7/30/14, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I'll go against the grain here and be "that guy" who wouldn't buy the car because of the badges. But I wouldn't be a dbag to the owner either, I would just dismiss the car as soon as I saw the badges and find a different, stock car.

For all I know the badges have been on the car for 3 years and even if removed may leave a mark, especially on a red car since red paints (and silvers) contain less pigment than other colors and therefore fade quickest (though tough to see on silver admittedly but think how often you see a BRIGHT red car...not very often since people don't take care of their cars generally - note I'm not talking specifically about the OP here).
Old 7/30/14, 01:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by puma1552
Well I'll go against the grain here and be "that guy" who wouldn't buy the car because of the badges. But I wouldn't be a dbag to the owner either, I would just dismiss the car as soon as I saw the badges and find a different, stock car. For all I know the badges have been on the car for 3 years and even if removed may leave a mark, especially on a red car since red paints (and silvers) contain less pigment than other colors and therefore fade quickest (though tough to see on silver admittedly but think how often you see a BRIGHT red car...not very often since people don't take care of their cars generally - note I'm not talking specifically about the OP here).
I agree. That's why I said I'd take them off. If I were shopping for a red GT vert and saw the Cobra emblems added on, I wouldn't give it a second glance. I wouldn't send nasty emails to the owner, but it would just immediately be off my radar - my gut feeling would be to wonder what other questionable mods has the previous owner done...

Quick Reply: 2011 cobra?