05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

What gauges next

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/10, 07:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gauges next

I have the center dash autometer gauges now (Shift light, volt meter and wide band O2), I am thinking of the SOS a pillar gauges, but what gauges to use there? I see FRPP has some cool gauges (Water and Oil Pressure). I know we had some hoops to jump to adapt to these gauges. I saw shelby had an adaptor kit on their site for the oil pressure, but nothing on the water temp. I am enclosing the pic for the non supercharged 4.6 It looks cool, I see the Oil Press reader and I assume it mounts on the oil pan bolts, not sure what the flex line is for or the other fittings. anyone???

If I go with the water temp, there was the drilling of the cross manifold and tapping it.

Is there a better, less involved way? Looking for ideas.
Attached Images  

Last edited by traffic142; 1/10/10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 1/10/10, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the water temp sender, there is a recessed allen head bolt/plug on the driver side of the block, towards the back (right in front of the where the tranny bellhousing bolts up), that can be removed. It's a 16mm x 1.25 bolt/plug and the Autometer #2268 adapter threads right in perfectly. Warning--you will get coolant in your face when you swap them.

The flex line for the pressure sensor allows you to swap the line for the stock oil pressure sensor (right above/behind the oil filter). Then you basically have a manifold where you can add as many sensors as it has room for (stock pressure sensor, oil pressure, oil temp).

Or just do what some of us have done and get the Autometer braided line (#3234)--I can't remember if both ends were 1/8" NPT, or if only one end was... The stock sender is 1/4" NPT, so you use a 1/8"NPT --> 1/4" NPT adapter to screw the braided line to the block. Then use a "T" fitting on the end of the braided line so you can mount the stock sender and the aftermarket oil pressure sender (will need various NPT fittings/adapters--can't remember which exactly). I prefer the oil temp reading from the pan, which is why a simple "T" fitting for the pressure was fine for my setup.
Old 1/10/10, 10:50 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defi gauges are very, very nice, but they also cost a bit. My favorite gauges that I plan on using(eventually when I need them) are the Blitz mirror gauges. They fit beautifully with the interior of the S197 especially if you have IUP. The only problem I foresee is the glare. Otherwise, I love them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysSUiNF_CMI
Old 1/11/10, 09:42 AM
Cobra R Member

I emailed Shelby on this attachment, maybe what it will hook to and run will decide for me gauge wise.
Old 1/21/10, 11:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Have you seen the old school gauge pod for the new GT 350? Actually I always thought of those for the old Fox Body style.