05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Running new speaker wire

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/06, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running new speaker wire

Does anyone have any tips to run new speaker wire from door to car interior? I tried to run through the black hose but there is a large wire harness blocking the exit.
Old 7/20/06, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

In the door jam, remove the rubber boot that goes over the plate. Once that has been removed, there is a gray plastic plate there with all the wiring for the door going through it. I though that was one side of a plug, but it is not. There is a plug on the "car" side of the hole that snaps in to that plate. But the plate itself is not a plug. It is merely a holder for the actual plug. So I popped the gray plate out of the hole, and with a small flat blade screwdriver I lifted the clips that hold the plug to the plate. Once they were separated, you can then stick your speaker wiring through the plate. The plug does not have to be snapped in to the back side of that plate. Looks like it is more for tension relief than anything else. And really doesn't do much for that either because the wires hold themselves up.
Anyway, by doing that you have room to run your wires. Just snap the plate back in to place and put the boot back on once you get the wiring through the rubber tube that goes to the door.
Old 7/20/06, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I had taken all that apart earlier but I didn't think I would be able to run the wires through. I'll take a look again. What a PITA!
Old 7/21/06, 07:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk
What a PITA!
Ditto, I nearly gave up on my install last weekend until I got advice here.

I ran two pairs of twelve guage wire through the grey clip and could still snap it back onto the wire harness, so there's plenty of room. You have to wiggle the door in and out to get the grey wire harness and clip to come all the way out so you have enough room to work with it.

I scratched up my hands pretty bad trying to fish the wire first through the dash opening, then through the body. The two holes aren't exactly aligned with each other and they aren't deburred either. They will slice you up!

Another tip, if you're really ****, wrap the black boot back around the clip before you snap it back into the body. There is a lip in the boot that needs to go around the back side of the clip to completely seal it off from water and dust.
Old 7/21/06, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

I tied everything into the factory wiring behind the radio and in the driver's kickpanel. The wiring is quite sufficient for over 250 watts without any excess resistence. This is after I tried to get my hand into that deburred hole. It looks like a wombat attacked me.