05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Factory nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/11, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after all my worrying the box showed up this afternoon. Now the only problem I have is I'm out of town till Thursday.....
Old 4/29/11, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Staying tuned...
Old 5/1/11, 06:18 PM
GT Member

can't wait to see the finished job! Hope there is a way to fit in 2010.
Old 5/3/11, 08:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just a little update on the nav unit, it was packaged well. Opened it up and the unit was packaged like a little vault. All the wiring and remotes were in two little boxes on either side of the unit.
Now for the BAD, there is no mounting tabs on the unit.....the ones on the front of the radio to mount to the dash, there is no way to move the brackets from the old stereo to the new one. I had to buy a 5mm x .80 stud and a nut for mounting tab in the rear for support. For now it is only held in buy the dash piece that has the a/c controls.
The wire harness is a plug and play as far as the speakers and power, usb, ipod and gps cables are a little short. I am not sure but I don't think the subs in the doors are working?
I turned it on and booted quickly to main menu, played with all features briefly and seemed to worn nicely. The Ipod is controlled from the radio so you could run the cable to the glove box and be fine with the length of cable. Nav works great. DVD works great and plays both standard DVD and DVD that have been burned. Radio works ok but the station signal is weak compared to factory radio. I did order the new antenna but it has not come in yet. Hope it helps..
I am sending off an email to Eric about the mounting and a few other items and will let you know what he says.
Thanks and sorry for the jumping around on this post
David
Sorry for the lack of pics, I do have them but no way to upload yet.
Old 5/4/11, 08:57 PM

Is this the same unit? The control layout and screen images look the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/05-09-FORD-MUSTA...item4159166fd6
Old 5/5/11, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mauleta
Is this the same unit? The control layout and screen images look the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/05-09-FORD-MUSTA...item4159166fd6
Looks like it...
Old 5/5/11, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interested to see how the functionality of this one pans out with it being from an unknown supplier.... too bad there's also no sirius option.

It's also unfortunate that more aftermarket companies never picked up on people wanting navigation units that are actually usable and look like they might belong. I've been shopping for a nav unit for quite a while and still waiting for one where I don't actually have to use the touchscreen for most functions.
Old 5/9/11, 10:28 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Any further updates?
Old 5/10/11, 04:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sorry I have not been on here to update you on my install. I had an accident the other day and trying to get it all worked out.
As for the nav unit, after I took my head out of my butt and installed it with the help of a dbl din install kit the unit is unbelievable. Once turned on it booted up quickly to the main page. The features on this unit are great, Ipod touch works great (from the glove box) the on screen controls are spot on. The radio signal is weaker than the factory unit but I don't listen to it much anyway. I did buy the Tune Trapper antenna but was not able to get it installed before my accident. The bluetooth works great. I have the HTC EVO. The setup was easy too. The addition of contacts is going to be a pain unless I find an easier way. As of now it is a one by one add. Now for the best of all and the part I was most worried about the Navigation part. All I can say is wow, I was nervous from the emails back and forth with Eric about maps and upgrades and his vagueness but it shows good detail and most of the new roads in and out of Boston.
The one thing I do need to get working are the door subs which don't work. Eric did send me a solution to fix this.
So once I get my car back from the body shop and get back into town I will figure out how to post pics so everyone can see how it looks.
Thanks again David
Old 5/10/11, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Sorry to here about your accident.

I am looking forwrd to seeing pics of this unit, though.
Old 5/10/11, 07:07 PM

LMAO, this is like reading a good book! I am SERIOUSLY interested in buying a touch screen unit, if this is good as GOLD, I'm in! What did he say his solution to the sub issue was? Let us know as soon as you can and also if it works. No crap, I have read and followed every word and link in this post! Thank you for a real informative post that keeps updated on every little thing that's going on with it. This is what people want and need on here for decision making. Thanks for pulling the trigger too. Sorry about the accident, I hope everything comes back better than before it left!
Old 5/11/11, 02:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

As soon as I get to my car I will post up the info on the subs. On a side note I talked to the body shop about doing a GT/CS front bumper for me for close to the same money as the estimate. I'm so excited about the new front end.
Now the wait......
Irish, if you are serious about getting a touch screen this is the one I would get. I was ready to get a factory one off of ebay and deal with the reprograming and higher cost as not to deal with the non factory look of the install trim. My stereo guy was going nuts with me trying to decide on an Alpine or Kenwood and how he could install it but could not tell me it would look factory. Someone posted one for cheaper in this thread that looks to be the same unit so that one might be an option. I would have looked into it had I seen it. I am very happy with what I have seen so far and I'm sure to find more things this thing does once I get to play with it more.
Old 5/25/11, 05:18 PM

I just received one of these and was wondering if it was plug and play for you. I dont know if I got the wrong wiring adapter, or if I have to use the one with the bare ends also. It won't power up and I noticed that the end that goes to the factory harness doesn't have a wire in the switched position in the new harness.
Old 5/26/11, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

mauleta, mine was plug and play for what I have done to this point. I did not have to use the bare wires yet but will when I finish the install for the amps to work. Did you get it from Eric? If so send him an e-mail and let him know whats going on. He is usually quick about getting back to you.
David
Old 5/26/11, 08:12 AM

No, I got it from the other vendor. They were quick with a reply when I had questions before the sale, now not so much. I'm just curious, if you remember, which spot on the connector which plugs into the factory harness the blue wire was in? Mine is in 5, and the switched power should be in 2 and there isn't anything there. I don't want to move that wire and have things go horribly wrong for me.
Old 5/26/11, 10:28 AM

I just found a thread in an F150 forum that confirms my thoughts so I think should be OK:

http://www.f150forum.com/f30/dash-oe...a-china-87531/
Old 6/5/11, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ok guys, I spent the better part of the weekend reinstalling the unit to my liking. First off I bought a Metra install kit that did not work. Tried all of the brackets but none wood line up properly. So I removed the factory ones and made them work with some drilling and what not.

Next came all the wiring to figure out? The main harness they sent was cool and plug and play up to the door subs not working. So after an email to Eric he sends me two tips to try, first one was to plug the subwoofer rca off of the all rca plug to the woofer rca by the antenna area. Did not work. Second was to cut the end off an rca cable and splice it into the factory amp plug. So let the cutting begin.

Hard to see but in the back you can see some black tape? that was my splice.
And plug it in to test and IT WORKED!! I also did the resistor on the same wires so no pop.
But now another problem shows up.....NO LIGHTS on the buttons!! I fired off an email to Eric last night about 11pm thinking he would respond in the morning but probably Monday. Nope about 15 min later he tells me what to do to fix the problem with a pic.
A quick fix it was, run a wire from the harness to the light switch and we have lights.

white/blue wire spliced with new wire over to factory plug.

Now stuffing all those wires in there is a tough job.
Installed and tested.
Dash starting to go back together and looking nice.
Over all not to bad but wish it had been easier for a simpleton like me.
As stated before the reception for the radio stinks so I ordered a Tune Trapper antenna with high hopes. Got it plugged in and it was worse than the factory antenna. The bad part is now I DON'T HAVE A FACTORY ANTENNA!!!
So now what? Not sure? Glad I listen to my IPod.
Well I think I have included about all.
I will say if you are looking at one I would go a head and get it. Eric has been great to deal with albeit through emails but still great.
If anyone has any questions or comments let them fly!
Thanks for the help.
David

Last edited by mco05gt; 6/6/11 at 04:44 AM. Reason: changed url to pics
Old 1/13/13, 12:02 PM

Hi Dave,
I am going to put this in my 06 gt vert. Did you install a camera? How is it working? I'm planning on a rear camera install also. I am also going to be changing speakers, but will continue to use my shaker 1000 amps. Thanks in advance!
Ron
Old 1/31/13, 10:04 PM
V6 Member

If I don't have a shaker radio would I still be able to get this?
Old 2/4/13, 09:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
This unit looks nice! Noting that the thread is two years old, I have a couple of questions:

Is the unit still available, or a newer unit has replaced the 2011 one?

How did the 2011 unit hold up over time?

I have the Shaker 1000, will this unit function with the stock Shaker 1000 box?