05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/06, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowjoe24
Very Nice Touch

Without a doubt.....you have the nicest V6 on the Forum!!!
Thanks Joe!
Old 10/13/06, 04:01 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelbywanabe
These are my e-bay find.... original dash tag from the late 60's shelbys..... It is only on with tape for the picture and the clear peel off protective cover is still on. just temporary for this picture, i still have to take it to be engraved. I'm thinking "Gt500 Tribute" or Gt500 Replica or somthing on those lines..... Maybe it will help calm down the people who get all uptite about this sort of conversion, but i doubt it.... I just wanted Carrol's signiture in there..... Kind of like the GT-H cars
I like {GT-500 Tribute} BTMO
Old 10/13/06, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats what i was leaning twards.... well, that is untill the negitive guys who do not accept clones chime in and give some smart a$$ ideas! LOL
Old 10/13/06, 09:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Why are FR500 Wheels so amazing?
Old 10/16/06, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dave,

That's an excellent job on the conversion you did and you've inspired me to do the same with my Sonic Blue '05. I just bought the car last Friday and found this website Saturday. I've always liked to customize my cars so I was on the internet bookmarking like crazy -- looking at all the body kits and not really liking any one of them.... until I found this site -- and KC!!! So will I be the second, behind you????

My plan is to buy an '07 GT500 in about one year or so -- used..!! I'm not about to pay what dealerships are asking nowadays, nor will I buy new so I'll be searching intensely for a "low mileage" used unit in a year or so.

In the meantime, I'll be doing the conversion to the '05. I think it'll look killer once I pick up the genuine one in the future -- two in my garage!! The '05 is my new daily driver, replacing my '03 Cobra. Once I locate and buy the '07 GT500, my wife and I have agreed that she'll use the converted '05 as her daily, giving up her mini-van!!

I, like you Dave, have reservations about using the emblems. I haven't quite decided yet but looking at pics of your car are starting to sway me to put them on....... they really look good on your car.... makes the car look totally authentic. Like KC said, it'll be a trip the first time you take the car in for service....

On the wheels, a lot of '03 Cobra owners have the FR500 wheels. Personally, I like the original Cobra wheels in chrome. I also like the GT500 wheels slightly better and will be buying a chromed set but in a 17-inch size. Have you priced 18-inch tires lately? Geez.... 17's are MUCH cheaper....can you say about 1/2 price? So for me, I'm going 17s...

Willie
Old 10/16/06, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Willie
Dave,

That's an excellent job on the conversion you did and you've inspired me to do the same with my Sonic Blue '05. I just bought the car last Friday and found this website Saturday. I've always liked to customize my cars so I was on the internet bookmarking like crazy -- looking at all the body kits and not really liking any one of them.... until I found this site -- and KC!!! So will I be the second, behind you????

My plan is to buy an '07 GT500 in about one year or so -- used..!! I'm not about to pay what dealerships are asking nowadays, nor will I buy new so I'll be searching intensely for a "low mileage" used unit in a year or so.

In the meantime, I'll be doing the conversion to the '05. I think it'll look killer once I pick up the genuine one in the future -- two in my garage!! The '05 is my new daily driver, replacing my '03 Cobra. Once I locate and buy the '07 GT500, my wife and I have agreed that she'll use the converted '05 as her daily, giving up her mini-van!!

I, like you Dave, have reservations about using the emblems. I haven't quite decided yet but looking at pics of your car are starting to sway me to put them on....... they really look good on your car.... makes the car look totally authentic. Like KC said, it'll be a trip the first time you take the car in for service....

On the wheels, a lot of '03 Cobra owners have the FR500 wheels. Personally, I like the original Cobra wheels in chrome. I also like the GT500 wheels slightly better and will be buying a chromed set but in a 17-inch size. Have you priced 18-inch tires lately? Geez.... 17's are MUCH cheaper....can you say about 1/2 price? So for me, I'm going 17s...

Willie
Willie, Thanks, I've really been enjoying the car! My wife and 2 kids finally had the oportunity to take it out for the weekend and use it!
It was a blast... it REALLY turns heads!! We even had a kid as we were driving by, scream "Awesome car!" it was great Well worth the effort and wait..... Wish i could say i was finished, but i am about to pull the trigger on an X-Charger SC to add some muscle behind the look! After i do that, i am pretty sure it's all i'll need, and my future plan of a True GT500, i think will go to bed. As i said in the end i was mainly interested in the overall look of the shelby, and it's what i got! I have no use for 500HP! A SC 6 will be plenty of fun for me... if i were going to the track i would sing a different tune, but "my tribute" car is just what i was after. Good move going w/ Kevin! He'll hook you up for sure! Great guy as well! As far as the wheels, whatever makes you smile is the way i look at it! I personally like the look of the FR500's better than the stock SGT500's. Otherwise i would have went w/ OEM Shelby wheels... these really resemble them closely, and i personally like them better, so i stuck with them.
Good luck w/ your conversion!! If i can help let me know, i and alot of other great guys here on the boards are really there to help! Make sure to get a thread going and post up some pix! That Blue of yours is going to look SICK, when you're done!! I was telling my son, if i were to do it over again and had a choice that color would DEFINATELY be 1st choice next to black w/me!
Old 10/16/06, 07:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man your car is looking SWEET!!!! You have the look of the Shelby without paying $40 million extra.

The other day at a show some guy with a "real" Shelby was giving me a hard time about my car. I told him that anyone with any sense would know that the GT500 didn't come is Silver and he was safe in me not playing my car off to be like his. then I told him that he paid the price of my car over sticker for his that Ford will make 12-13k copies of.

Anyway GREAT Car!!! Keep it in good shape and in 40 years maybe your "Clone/ Tribute" will be worth a fortune like the 60's clones are now.

- Jesse
Old 10/16/06, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shelbywanabe
Thanks 66PM.... Performance mods are next, i am currently looking into the X-Charger supercharger.... That should top this off nicely
Very impressive write up, just book marked it!

The Xcharger will be a nice touch, will give it that SC whine and the way it sits on top, has that old school look. Will definitely compliment the car.
Old 10/17/06, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
Man your car is looking SWEET!!!! You have the look of the Shelby without paying $40 million extra.

The other day at a show some guy with a "real" Shelby was giving me a hard time about my car. I told him that anyone with any sense would know that the GT500 didn't come is Silver and he was safe in me not playing my car off to be like his. then I told him that he paid the price of my car over sticker for his that Ford will make 12-13k copies of.

Anyway GREAT Car!!! Keep it in good shape and in 40 years maybe your "Clone/ Tribute" will be worth a fortune like the 60's clones are now.

- Jesse
Thanks Jess! i APPRECIATE your tips, as i did it! That's the idea.... it is just a garage queen right now I take it out for runs here and there.... last i checked there was only like 450 miles on her .... It's getting covered up in a few more weeks untill spring, that is unless i get the SC soon, then i'll start the installation.
Old 10/17/06, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Willie

In the meantime, I'll be doing the conversion to the '05. I think it'll look killer once I pick up the genuine one in the future -- two in my garage!!
If you're getting a GT500 anyway, why do the conversion to your GT? That's just me, anyway, I want some variety. I think it would be cooler to have a real GT500 and a real GT. Not a fake GT500 and a real GT500.
Old 10/17/06, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

In all honesty, I'll bet if he converts it, he'll find that he won't bother w/ the real GT500..... besides if he REALLY needs all that horsepower, if he SC's it he'll be close to those kind of #'s anyway.....
Old 10/17/06, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Shelbywanabe whats the chances on you posting a picture of the hood up close and from underneath? I'm interested in the water run off, is the vent channeled to direct the water?
Old 10/17/06, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you're getting a GT500 anyway, why do the conversion to your GT? That's just me, anyway, I want some variety. I think it would be cooler to have a real GT500 and a real GT. Not a fake GT500 and a real GT500.

Well, that's because my '05 isn't a GT, it's a base Mustang. Due to several reasons, it's replacing my '03 SVT Cobra as my daily driver. It's kind of tough to go from a supercharged six speed to a V6 auto.... So in a weird way, having it look like the GT500 will hopefully sooth my bad attitude. My future plans include keeping the '05 for my wife so......

In all honesty, I'll bet if he converts it, he'll find that he won't bother w/ the real GT500..... besides if he REALLY needs all that horsepower, if he SC's it he'll be close to those kind of #'s anyway.....

Only time will tell I suppose. Oh, I've never mentioned here that I also own an '87 IROC-Z which looks stock except the cowl induction hood but under the hood lies a twin-turbo TPI. I've never dynoed it but I'm guessing this thing puts out 650-700 hp. Oh, it's emissions legal too.

And Dave, I appreciate your comment about helping me out with the conversion. I've already ordered some parts from Kevin... And if you ever end up going with a supercharger, I've got tons of experience with super/turbochargers. Although I don't have specific experience with Mustangs, I can definitely speak in general terms. Before my twin-turbo setup, the IROC-Z was supercharged / intercooled / alky injected.... It now sports a pair of turbos, a pair of air-to-air intercoolers and is methanol injected.

Willie
Old 10/17/06, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up FR500 Wheels ....

These wheels look amazing w/ the Shelby GT500 conversion.

I've have'nt decided on my final wheel section yet.
Shelby CS67 18x9.5, Shelby GT500 Stock Wheels 18x9.5 or the
FR500 Wheels 18x9 in Silver or Chrome

I thought the back spacing on these wheels were not for use on the 05+ Mustangs.
Am I wrong on this? Ford Racing Parts website recommend use on 1994 -04
Attached Thumbnails And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!-gallery_mrt_drift_5_13_06_fd_atlanta_016.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 10/17/06, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I want to see/hear more info on the FR500 wheels on our 05-07 Stangs......I like the way they look more everyday!!
Old 10/17/06, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GTRacerX

I thought the back spacing on these wheels were not for use on the 05+ Mustangs.
Did a little research and those wheels on that Dark Red Mustang are FR500's in the front and ford GT upgrade 19x11.5 in the back... Interesting stuff..
Old 10/17/06, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I

I brought this issue up earlier in the thread. I though you had to buy the repro FR500's from Mustang Tuning to get the correct offset for 05's. The real ones look much better in my opinion.
Old 10/19/06, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Shelbywanabe's FR500 wheels were installed by the

Ford dealer so I doubt they were purchased from Mustang Tuning or any
other replica wheel vendor. So what is the big deal on the back spacing when it seems Shelbywanabe's wheels are just fine. I wonder if he has any issues
with his wheels? If not I think the chrome FR500 from Ford look great.

Old 10/19/06, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford dealer so I doubt they were purchased from Mustang Tuning or any
other replica wheel vendor. So what is the big deal on the back spacing when it seems Shelbywanabe's wheels are just fine. I wonder if he has any issues
with his wheels? If not I think the chrome FR500 from Ford look great.

You know what.... I have heard more and more about people saying these won't fit our cars, Personally i can say, I have had no problems, but i am going to as soon as i find a minute, call my guy at the dealership and discuss this with him, i'll be sure to post up and let me know what they say about this. I do know, that last time i called them to discuss a supercharger, he told me the built a Torch red one identical to mine with the same wheels, so obviously they seem to think they are fine but i will be curious to hear what they say about people saying they are not for this car. We'll keep ya posted!
Old 10/19/06, 08:54 PM
Cobra R Member

check you pm shelbywanabe

Quick Reply: And Yet another... Shelby Gt500 conversion!