05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Tail Light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/05, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if this has been covered already - but I wanted to share an easy and inexpensive mod for the Mustang's tail lights.

I've always wondered why Ford doesn't use the inboard tail light as both a brake & tail lamp. All you have to do is go to Pep Boys and get a three pin low profile socket and switch it out with the 2 pin stock unit. Just splice the new socket to the ground and "Minor" wires from the 2 pin socket and then tap into the middle lights "Major" line. wrap with electrical tape and you are good to go - you will now have all 3 lenses working as both tail/brake and turn signals....IMHO looks better than just the 2 lenses working on each side.

I did this on my '00GT Vert and ran it for 2 years with no problems/issues. For anyone interested, the socket you will need (2 - one for each side) is #85885, and it is for Chrysler (1987 & up). The Ford sockets they sell were all too tall - you need the Chrysler "low profile" socket. Also, you will see the socket is clearly marked on the bottom which lead is for ground, minor (tail light) and major (brake/turn signal). You don't need to purchse new bulbs either as for some reason Ford uses the dual filament in a single filament socket. So for $10.00 and 45 mins work you have better looking taillights!!
Old 1/2/05, 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

I would be to scared to try it, however, if someone else takes the leap, then I would be very intrested in doing this

-Bryan
Old 1/2/05, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's the little things like this post that makes this site priceless! Thank you Bradley.
Old 1/2/05, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great tip, I'm all over it.

Appearance & safety.
Old 1/2/05, 06:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do it if I weren't getting the sequential taillights.
Old 1/2/05, 07:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep I did this to my 96GT and a buddie's Cobra. If you don't get it right, all you do is pop a fuse and believe me we popped 'em It's definitely a mod I'll be doing the first weekend after I get mine.
Old 1/2/05, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sounds cool. I'm more of a visual learner though. A couple of pics maybe?
Old 1/2/05, 10:55 PM
Cobra Member

For the record - I did the mod last night (first night of ownership) and it's working great.....darn if I didn't forget to take pics.....it really is easy though - you are basically switching out one socket for another with the only diff being tapping the "Major" wire from the new socket into one of the existing socket wires for power....hope that helps.

Another note - when you remove the tailight housing bolts from the inside of the trunk you will notice there is a soft "puttly like" sealer around the nut - be sure to peel it off and save.....once the mod is done and you have reinserted the lense housing into the body - be sure to reapply the sealer putty to the base of the studs (inside trunk side) b4 you tighten down the nuts...that way your trunk will still be water proof.

good luck
Old 1/3/05, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

but if you have a few extra bucks, sequential lites covers that and gives you a light show!!!! EZ install

WebElectrics

Enjoy
Old 1/3/05, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

HOTLAP

I just did your mod & it worked out great. Simply, & makes a big difference in the lighting.

It kills me how the bean counters wouldn't spend another .02 to make this a standard feature.

FYI: Got the parts at PepBoys & they only had 1 88585. They also had an 88586 which is identical.
Old 1/3/05, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

I need a way to convert that # to Autozone lol. I dont have a Pep Boys
Old 1/3/05, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Went to an Autozone & they said NA. But I think those guys were incorrect.

Application is 89-95 Chryslers, front & rear sockets.
Old 1/3/05, 08:55 PM

No Pepboys here either, we have Autozone and Advance Auto Parts.
Old 1/5/05, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@January 3, 2005, 4:47 PM
I need a way to convert that # to Autozone lol. I dont have a Pep Boys
Hey Red that stock number was actually off the manufacturer's packaging - so it should be the same everywhere. It is made by MotorMite a subsidiary of R&B Inc. out of Colmar, PA.

Hope that helps!
Old 1/5/05, 10:53 AM
GT Member

Ok I must be spacing out, but I am not sure I understand what you guys are doing here.

Are you turning the center brake light in to a light that comes on when you turn on your lights as well, or something else.

<--
Old 1/5/05, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Mellow Yellow@January 5, 2005, 11:56 AM
Ok I must be spacing out, but I am not sure I understand what you guys are doing here.

Are you turning the center brake light in to a light that comes on when you turn on your lights as well, or something else.

<--
No, talking about the innermost of the tribars. The innermost only lights up when the lights are on, the outer two are used for brakes and turn signals.
Old 1/30/05, 10:55 AM
V6 Member

[quote=HOTLAP,January 2, 2005, 4:30 PM] I wanted to share an easy and inexpensive mod for the Mustang's tail lights.

I've always wondered why Ford doesn't use the inboard tail light as both a brake & tail lamp. All you have to do is go to Pep Boys and get a three pin low profile socket and switch it out with the 2 pin stock unit. Just splice the new socket to the ground and "Minor" wires from the 2 pin socket and then tap into the middle lights "Major" line. wrap with electrical tape and you are good to go - you will now have all 3 lenses working as both tail/brake and turn signals....IMHO looks better than just the 2 lenses working on each side.[quote]

Thanks for the tip! I just went to ford and bought 2 ford sockets. Following your wire hook up method, did a bit of sodering for the connection and from the Major wire to the new socket and was done in under 45 minutes. Total cost in Canadian dollars was $25.00 for both sockets and then just used some wire I had sitting around. Thanks, as it really does make a difference when stopping. Really lites up alot briter now
Old 1/30/05, 10:59 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DozerzPony, that figgin rocks
Old 1/30/05, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

[quote=shave35,January 30, 2005, 11:58 AM]
[quote=HOTLAP,January 2, 2005, 4:30 PM] I wanted to share an easy and inexpensive mod for the Mustang's tail lights.

I've always wondered why Ford doesn't use the inboard tail light as both a brake & tail lamp. All you have to do is go to Pep Boys and get a three pin low profile socket and switch it out with the 2 pin stock unit. Just splice the new socket to the ground and "Minor" wires from the 2 pin socket and then tap into the middle lights "Major" line. wrap with electrical tape and you are good to go - you will now have all 3 lenses working as both tail/brake and turn signals....IMHO looks better than just the 2 lenses working on each side.

Thanks for the tip! I just went to ford and bought 2 ford sockets. Following your wire hook up method, did a bit of sodering for the connection and from the Major wire to the new socket and was done in under 45 minutes. Total cost in Canadian dollars was $25.00 for both sockets and then just used some wire I had sitting around. Thanks, as it really does make a difference when stopping. Really lites up alot briter now
shave35 - glad you got some use out of it - that's what this forum is all about!!
Old 2/3/05, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is an easy mod, and for any first timers out there - I took step by step pictures for you With these pics and the instructions elsewhere in this thread, you can do this in 30min. Just take your time and be careful and everything will be fine and come apart and go back together smoothly. Here we go:
stock:

Quick Reply: Tail Light Mod