05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Light Covers, Hood Pins, Chin Spoilers, Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/06, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Covers, Hood Pins, Chin Spoilers, Oh My!

Hey guys,

I've been searching the forums for a couple days but havent been able to find an answer to all of my questions so figured I'd make a post of my own. I'm looking to dress my car up a bit and begin my exterior customization, but I have a couple questions before I go ahead and push the red button..
  • Light Covers: I'm looking at buying some smoke or black light covers for my headlamps to give my black stang a more sinister look. I cant seem to find any pics anywhere (Besides the late great Dark Knight) of 05+ Mustangs with any on. Can anyone post any pics they have? Also where's a good place to order some from?
  • Hood Pins: I've become infatuated with hood pins, actually always have been but I havent seen them look so good on a newer car. The only cars I've ever seen them on were older 60s-70s Muscle Cars at shows. To the point: I REALLY want to put pins on my hood, however, Im looking at purchasing a new functional hood around december or so and then stripe my car up. With that said, should I just get a Hood Pin APPEARANCE kit for now for my stock hood? Or should I just go ahead and buy and install a functional set?
  • Chin Spoilers: I'm looking at getting a Chin spoiler for now, and eventually some side skirts to even it out. My question is, how does the car look with JUST the Chin spoiler (CDC Classic for example)? Does the front look TOO bulky without added side skirts or does it look just right? Also does the chin spoiler replace part of the bottom front fascia or just attach to it?
Thanks in advance for the answers guys, and sorry for the possibly silly/redundant questions.
Old 8/20/06, 07:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
me too

i want some too(head lights)
Old 8/20/06, 07:16 PM

well lets see I have you covered in the headlight cover and chin spoiler area.
the headlight covers I ordered from Moss Mustang

The chin spoiler is CDC classic

hope this helps. I too have been debating on the hood pins myself
Old 8/20/06, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh those covers look sleek! Have you had any trouble with it dimming the light too much or is it not noticeable?
Old 8/20/06, 09:56 PM
GT Member

Are these headlight covers legal? I am definitly going to by them if they are.

Mustang Shadow that is a beautiful car! Are those the Mustang Tunning Deep Dish bullits?
Old 8/21/06, 11:13 AM
Big Falken Tires

Anthony - thanks for the shout-out for my old ride....

I was about to post up about Perry/Mustangshadow's ride but he got here first. It is definitely the CLEANEST black stang I have ever seen.

Chin spoiler - love it (have one on the new ride too - just have to post pics). Even with no other mods to the car, I think this looks great (without sideskirts etc). To me the car does NOT look nose heavy at all.

Headlight covers. Mine cut down on lamp strength CONSIDERABLY. The only way I drove at night was thanks to the fog lamps. Though I got to the point that if I knew I would be going long distances at night, I would take them off. They do look bada** though on a black ride.... And these are really not legal - says offroad and show use on the box.

Hoodpins - did these as well cause I HAD to with the RK Sport hood. Way too much hoodshake in high wind. I was not nuts about doing this at all and tried to avoid it - but after we finished I did grow to like them more, past their obvious functionality - they definitely became part of DK II's 'look'. The one thing I did that I hadn't seen anyone else do - before we bolted the scuff plates to the hood, I painted them flat back. The the main thing you see is the pins themselves as the plates blend in with the hood.

The only thing I have to say about doing the pins is to prepare for the moment that drill bit (If you self install) pops out the other side of your perfectly good hood...

that's something lemme tell ya...

Old 8/21/06, 02:11 PM

Reminisce, You can tell a difference with the headlight covers on, But as long as you have your fogs on at night they kinda pick up where the others leave off.

2005 mustang V6, I have had NO issuses with the cops in my area. Now I can't say about the police in your area. If you go to the main threads I posted how 5 state troopers loved my car and didnt say anything about the covers or my SLP exhaust for that matter LOL.
Also yes 18x9 deep dish bullitts with 255/45/18 Toyo Proxes T1R tires and the bullitts where from Mustang Tuning
Old 8/21/06, 02:14 PM

Burke0011 I will have to get you to help me with the hood pins since you did yours.
That way I will have someone else to blame. LOL
Old 8/21/06, 06:12 PM
GTR Member

Hey dave, How hard is it to put on/remove covers for night driving??
Old 8/21/06, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the response Burke and mustangshadow. I think I'm gonna go for it or purchase some smoked ones instead of blackouts, but I love how the blackouts look. I also think I'm gonna go with tack on hood-pins until I get a hood worth bolting down, because I may want to sell my stock hood if I do.
Old 8/21/06, 08:06 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Hey dave, How hard is it to put on/remove covers for night driving??
Pop hood

lift up on top of cover and unclip the plastic u clip from top of light

gently bend down and remove the bottom edge lip from the gap betweem lamp and bumper

Repeat on other side

drive it like ya stole it!!!!

(just remember to close the hood... yeah )
Old 8/21/06, 09:46 PM
GTR Member

Thanks