05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/06, 07:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Plate Bracket - Made by Me - Drill-less (No drilling Required)

As of Spring/Summer 2007 I'm still producing these, I plan to make a very large batch shortly and start listing them on Ebay and other Mustang Forums. I will also be working on a Bracket for V6 and CS mustangs stay tuned.

I have decided to produce these, pricing information can be found here:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...376#post698376

Production version photos can be found here (The production version has a circular bend instead of hard bends):
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...811#post702811

If you have issues with the photos loading in the post above it's because I run my web server on a non-standard port. Please have a look at this post instead:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...579#post757579

Let me just say I've been holding off posting this how-to, since I've been trying to decided if I should start making these and selling them. But the parts alone are about $15 (and the bracket's off ebay etc.. are around $15 so I figured they wouldn't sell well). Granted mine is made from Aluminum and Stainless steel bolts - And I feel might is much better attached/mounted then the others I've seen.

I picked up my car May 2005, I didn't want the plate holes drilled. So I've been driving around with the plate in the front window. I finally got tired of seeing the plate, and the noise it made hitting the window etc... (Plus it's a $110cdn ticket too in Ontario). So I decided it was time to brain storm an idea on how to mount the plate. I spent a good 3 hours making a cardboard/wood template, and went to Home Depot and bought about $35 worth of bolts/nuts and a 3/4" 4' long piece of aluminum ($9.10) - I had about 8" of aluminum left over. I probably only used about $4-$5 worth of the bolts/nuts.

The bracket is mounted with only 1 nylon lock nut (1 for each bracket), and has reached speeds of 156km/h (100 miles/h) on the front of the car with the plate mounted - with no movement of the bracket at all. (The plate is attached with 1/4" stainless steel bolts sticking out from the car with the heads counter sunk into the bracket, the plate is also attached with nylon lock nuts). I can install/remove the bracket in under 5 minutes. You just gotta lay on your back with the proper sized mini ratchet.

--- PLEASE NOTE THESE PICTURES BELOW ARE THE PRE-PRODUCTION PIECE ---

Here's the bracket test fitted, as you can see the plate holes are in the exact location of the stock mounting holes.

Here's a look underneath, the nut you see will later be replaced by a nylon lock nut, the back bolt is just used for a guide.

The bracket not attached to the car, the top piece goes inside the bumper, and the second piece hits the black plastic as a stop (It's cut on the same angle as the bumper is... So the plate brackets are facing forward not a slight angle as they would be in stock form - The stock plate would be slightly bent when attached), you can clearly see 3 nuts this will provide pressure to make the "clamp" work when the nylon lock nut is tightened down (front bolt)

Another view of the bracket, you can see the bolts were counter sunk into the metal (not really required as there's nothing for them to hit.

Here's a bottom view with the plate mounted, the 1/4" plate bolts were counter sunk into the bracket and a piece of weather stripping was put on both pieces.

A view from the front with the plate mounted, it actually doesn't look that bad with the plate - At least I can easily remove it!

I hope this is helpful, if anyone shows interest, I might think of making them. We'll see.
Old 6/22/06, 07:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

If it will fit a cervini's front bumper sign me up if you will be makeing them
Old 6/22/06, 08:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
If it will fit a cervini's front bumper sign me up if you will be makeing them
Unfortantly I don't think this bracket will fit anything except the stock 2005/06 bumper. And possibly the stock 07 bumper if they haven't changed it.

It all depends how the bumper is made. It works by clamping to the black plastic/underside of the bumper, with the 1/4" bend on the metal.
Old 6/22/06, 08:22 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a very interesting bracket. It made your license plate number all distorted. Maybe you can market these also as an anti-photo trap device

That is a really good idea you have there. If I ever get pulled over for not having a front plate I just might have to borrow that design and alter it for my front fascia
Old 6/22/06, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well I will still buy one and see how it will fit the cervini's bumper
Old 6/22/06, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd buy one for the 07 I'm going to order.
Old 6/22/06, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

That's awesome. Count me interested. I'm getting my bumper repainted from a bump I had and am thinking hard on filling the holes I made for the plate. Please let us know ASAP!

Old 6/22/06, 06:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastrack
Unfortantly I don't think this bracket will fit anything except the stock 2005/06 bumper. And possibly the stock 07 bumper if they haven't changed it.

It all depends how the bumper is made. It works by clamping to the black plastic/underside of the bumper, with the 1/4" bend on the metal.
Very nice.
I also used the black plastic for attachment. I wrapped heavy velcro straps around it where you put the brackets and attached a plastic plate frame to it. I put some felt on the back where it might touch on the lower part.
I wanted the whole bumper to show and have something I could take off if I want. It is very stable. I have taken it well over 100MPH many times.
Attachment 2863Attachment 3205
Attached Thumbnails License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.-plateholder2.jpg   License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.-front-hood-up.jpg  
Old 6/26/06, 07:07 AM
GT Member

I'll buy one if you decide to make em.
Old 6/26/06, 11:53 AM
Banned

Since there seems to be quite a few interested people. I might produce a few of these and see how they sell.

But the problem I have is the price point, would something like $30US be asking too much? The fact it uses almost $15 worth of parts, I have to make worth my time. (I might try do some research of metal suppliers in my area to see if I can reduce the cost)

I know the one off ebay sells for $15US, it appears to made from rolled steel and zinc plated nuts/bolts. If I was to use steel and zinc plated nuts/bolts the cost of parts would probably be about half.

I just did a quick search on ebay, and it appears the "other steel bracket" is up to $38US with 14 bids! I think i might have to start production soon
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

Let me know what your opinions are.
Old 6/26/06, 12:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Ben,

I think you could ask more than that. The ones that are selling on eBay go for more. Your time is what is the big part in the value equation. I also would be interested.

Let us know!
Old 6/26/06, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

ill pay $30. sign me up
Old 6/26/06, 02:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I will pay $30 do you take Paypal...i will use it while i have my factory bumper, then i will see how i could use it on a Cervini's Eleanor bumper
Old 6/26/06, 08:59 PM
Banned

Smile

Hi all,

I went to Home Depot tonight and bought enough parts to make 3 brackets, however the stainless steel bolts/nuts/nylon lock nuts were a lot more than I had estimated (remember I bought a bunch of parts to make mine, some which I didn't use... and buying the bulk bolts at Home depot it's almost impossible to figure out the cost!).

I'm going to try and source out cheaper Aluminium (ie from a metal supply store not Home Depot for future brackets) as that's over half the cost of the bracket. I would like to stick with stainless bolts as zinc plated ones will eventually rust, especially on the front of a car with salt on the roads...

I would like to set the price point of this "first batch" at $45US + shipping. Hopefully this isn't over the top, I would like to reduce the cost, but the raw materials aren't cheap.

I should have a 1 or 2 made this week otherwise I won't get a chance to do this until the week of July 9th.

The bracket will include everything required to mount the plate.

Hopefully this isn't breaking any site rules, but please PM if your interested.

I've never accepted any money on Paypal but I believe a default account allows one to receive cash from someone else. I've bought a ton of stuff off ebay, but I've never sold before. But these brackets might be the first item

Thanks,
Old 6/27/06, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks nice...

I would make them out of steel and then a good coating of enamel paint.

Aluminum work hardens and cracks too easily from vibration and you have a fair amount of force at work there both aerodynamic and the weight of the plate.

Good job!
Old 6/27/06, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Looks nice...

I would make them out of steel and then a good coating of enamel paint.

Aluminum work hardens and cracks too easily from vibration and you have a fair amount of force at work there both aerodynamic and the weight of the plate.

Good job!
Interesting, steel is cheaper as well. I guess I'll return the aluminum and use steel I would never have thought Aluminum would crack. Based on this, and the price of steel I'll probably lower my estimated price above.

Do you think it'll crack because I've bent it? Or are you saying just the weight of the bracket will eventually cause stress cracks, and it could snap off? If so I should redesign the one on my car, I don't want to loose my super expensive personalized plate!

If the price is too steap I'll return the parts I bought, and dream up something else to make. Let me know. PM me if your interested, the price isn't fixed in stone as of this new turn of events.

Thanks,
Old 6/27/06, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

My $.02

If something is worth doing, it worth doing right.

Steel even painted will rust thru. Aluiminum is lighter, the materials thickness your useing is not going to crack. Aluminum or Stainless Steel hardware will holdup a lot better than zinc coated. Whats a few dollars more cost to have a fine product? Worth it, this isn't made in China.

Glad I don't need one!

Good Luck!
Old 6/27/06, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Badsnke98
My $.02

If something is worth doing, it worth doing right.

Steel even painted will rust thru. Aluiminum is lighter, the materials thickness your useing is not going to crack. Aluminum or Stainless Steel hardware will holdup a lot better than zinc coated. Whats a few dollars more cost to have a fine product? Worth it, this isn't made in China.

Glad I don't need one!

Good Luck!
If your definition of a fine product means a license plate laying on the highway bolted to an aluminum bracket - well, that's up to you and your opinion.

Aluminum can be very strong but it is a fickle material when subjected to vibration. A good quality enamel will protect steel for many years. Aluminum - if left uncoated / painted - will corrode and turn white.

I'd go with steel. Cheaper, stronger, easier to work into shape without fear of stress fractures at your bends..
Old 6/27/06, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
If your definition of a fine product means a license plate laying on the highway bolted to an aluminum bracket - well, that's up to you and your opinion.

Aluminum can be very strong but it is a fickle material when subjected to vibration. A good quality enamel will protect steel for many years. Aluminum - if left uncoated / painted - will corrode and turn white.

I'd go with steel. Cheaper, stronger, easier to work into shape without fear of stress fractures at your bends..
Thanks Randy for the advice, I agree untreated Aluminum does turn white/corrode. The piece I bought is coated but of course where the holes are and where I cut it, it is not protected in anyway... I'll have to check into the price of enemal paint / price of the steel I will get back to you all.

The main reason I went with Aluminum was it was lighter.
Old 6/27/06, 08:54 PM
Banned

I'm going to stay with Aluminum as I don't think it's going to be an issue, if it was a 90 degree bend maybe, but the aluminum itself is not showing any stress on the surface. Can crack?? Who knows I doubt it? - I'm going to a metal supply place tomorrow so I'll let you all know as the guys working there should have an opinion on this.

Solution to corroding, just throw a quick clear coat on it. Maybe even annodize it (I don't know how to do this....). Or a metal polish?? I know most people will remove the bracket/plate when they detail they're car, so you can quickly throw a coat of wax on the bracket.

I will let you all know what the price is after visiting the metal supply place.

The first one took me 4 hours to make (the exact angles were hard to get). So I have no idea how long it'll take me to make the next one or subsequent ones.

I'm going to put three of them together and decide on a price after I make them. I think the $45 posted above is a little steap, so I want to get a better idea of how long it'll take. I'm aiming for a price point of $35US.

I will have 3 of them ready to be sold by the week of July 9, so far in line:
sis27

Quick Reply: License Plate Bracket - Custom Made by Me.