05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

GT Disk Emblem Removal 05-09 Model

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/09, 04:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question GT Disk Emblem Removal 05-09 Model

Has anyone been able to remove just the GT eblem portion disk out of the chrome center gas cap that holds it without tearing up the chrome round part that holds it? If you have how did you do it. I only need to remove the GT portion disk center part....

GG
Old 10/14/09, 06:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would try good fishing string....like spiderwire and saw back and forth.
Old 10/14/09, 11:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at your question (OP) and decided to find out how that center piece was held onto the chrome ring. I installed a CDC blackout panel which eliminated this piece so I just happened to have a guinea pig lying around my garage.

First you will have to remove the entire badge/emblem from your car, just heat it up a little bit with a heat gun or good hair dryer and use the string/fisinng line/dental floss method.

Your piece will look like this (less the road film LOL)

The next thing I did was to drill a small (1/4") hole part of the way through the chrome backing plate near 12 O'clock.(just off of my thumb) There is no factory hole or other place to push the GT piece out away from the chrome part to get it started. You could try prying with a screwdriver but I am sure it would probably damage the chrome piece you want to preserve.

Once I got the piece heated up with a heat gun (be REALLY careful) I pushed the GT piece forward from the back utilizing the hole I drilled, then put a small screwdriver in and gently started prying it up enough to get a piece of string started.

Now I used the string to saw partly through the glue and finally finished prying the GT part off with a bigger screwdriver. Just be really careful because by the time you get it hot enough to help defeat the glue the chrome part is soft and CAN distort, especially when prying.

This is how it looks underneath, it is just two blobs of silicone holding the GT piece on. If I did this over I would start the string and prying at 12 or 6 O'clock in direct line with the glue.

I did slightly damage the paint on back of the GT piece in this removal BUT, if you need to preserve this all you have to do is paint the back black and it will be good as new.

As you can see here the second alignment pin is leaning...LOL.. I got it pretty hot and bent this while using the string. If I was going to put this back on the car I would (1) reheat and straighten or (2) just cut the pin off.

The area just under the GT piece did warp upward a little bit but all you need to do if this happens is remove all the silicone glue and reheat and use the GT part to push it back into place.

Last edited by Casey4s; 10/14/09 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Lots-O-Spelling Boo Boos
Old 10/14/09, 11:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Gt Emblem Removal

It never ceases to amaze me at how we help each other out, I was sure that disk came out because the V6 had a tri-bar pony. When I get home I will follow your lead, I have a brand new Barrett Jackson replacement emblem that is nicer than the original from Shelby to go in the hole.

I'll post how it goes ....... Thanks Again, GG A two thumbs up response.

GG
Old 10/14/09, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tapd117
It never ceases to amaze me at how we help each other out, I was sure that disk came out because the V6 had a tri-bar pony. When I get home I will follow your lead, I have a brand new Barrett Jackson replacement emblem that is nicer than the original from Shelby to go in the hole.

I'll post how it goes ....... Thanks Again, GG A two thumbs up response.

GG
Just take your time, I was in a hurry to finish this up so I could answer your question and didn't take the care I should have and of course NOW i know what's going on behind the GT piece.

Wear gloves because to get the piece hot enough to help defeat the glue it is too hot to hold and work with.

If you do drill the hole in the back make sure you don't go all the way through the GT part. The drill WILL remove some of the paint from the black backing but that can be touched up if you don't get too carried away. If you are going to discard it anyway then not to worry.
Old 10/14/09, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

David,

Thanks I am going to discard the GT emblem and replace with a new Barrett Jackson Disk for my SGT-BJ. Can I have permission to post this info on another forum or does this need to go to a moderator first?

There are many members that would like to put something in the rear of their mustang and did not know, I am sure it could be removed. You went the extra mile........

Thanks again....... GG
Old 10/14/09, 07:45 PM
GT Member

David,

Thanks I am going to discard the GT emblem and replace with a new Barrett Jackson Disk for my SGT-BJ. Can I have permission to post this info on another forum or does this need to go to a moderator first?

There are many members that would like to put something in the rear of their mustang and did not know, I am sure it could be removed. You went the extra mile........

Thanks again....... GG
No problem if it can help anyone by all means share... I would be curious where you post it though.
Old 10/14/09, 08:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well peters principal kicked in and I melted and warped the chrome holder and drilled right through the GT black disk. So I just said the heck with it and will cover the GT Emblem with a Barrett Jackson foil sticker that I also had made as a back up plan.......

Thanks for the blow by blow, but my heat gun immediately melted some of the rear chrome fins and I never could get the disk to break free.

Ordered a new complete unit from Blueoval Industries aftermarket because the local Ford dealer wanted $59.95 for one, actually I got two and will try to find someone who can dremel out the second one, if that is possible..

If anyone has a source through Ford or where ever where I could just buy the Chrome outer ring, I have a really high tech nice BJ 3 " disk Emblem that needs the chrome housing only..

Thanks GG

Last edited by tapd117; 10/14/09 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo of course
Old 10/14/09, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I wish to point out that there *is* a hole to push on the emblem... it's the small square one near the keyhole, just below and to the right (as facing from the back where you'd be looking at it.

I'll admit, it's tiny, and leverage might be fun, but if you could do it without the drilling, so much the better, just FYI on it.

/freakin' strong glue...
Old 10/14/09, 10:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Houtex,

I'm looking at the rear and don't see that, there is a small round indentation and it didn't do anything, I even drilled it out slightly, when you push there is not much plastic and it ended up going through the emblem also.

GG
Old 10/15/09, 12:05 AM
GT Member

That is a bummer about the meltdown, I think you used too much heat too soon and didn't take your time. But I wasn't there so I don't really know.

I guess you could dremel out the center section on the back to get access.

You might find a good deal on a new one at ebay or one of theos "take off" dealers.

"Houtex"

You're right there is a tiny hole there but it is so small I didn't think it went all the way through because I couldn't seem to penetrate it, you almost need an ice pick in that hole.
Old 10/15/09, 12:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Purchased new deck lid GT emblem holder from blue oval industries tonight via internet.........

GG
Old 10/15/09, 08:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Casey4s
That is a bummer about the meltdown, I think you used too much heat too soon and didn't take your time. But I wasn't there so I don't really know.

I guess you could dremel out the center section on the back to get access.

You might find a good deal on a new one at ebay or one of theos "take off" dealers.

"Houtex"

You're right there is a tiny hole there but it is so small I didn't think it went all the way through because I couldn't seem to penetrate it, you almost need an ice pick in that hole.

Or a small jewler's phillips head... like I did. Works good. Of course, 'good' is a relative term... if you're looking to save the emblem... I don't know if there's any way to do that, given how it's put on there...
Old 10/15/09, 08:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

I used small watch type flat heads and there is insufficient space to get a screw driver in...

GG
Old 10/15/09, 07:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

One of these is what I used:

http://www.7thmedia.biz/A7thMedia/im...ecisionSet.jpg

I think the #0 phillips.
Old 10/15/09, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys - Just been there - done that

All of what you mentioned is true. It is a devil to get those things off there, and it is just about impossible to NOT damage either the bezel or the insert. I managed to do both. I have one small thing to add. Vinegar will help to soften that silicone adhesive. And yes, too much heat from the heat gun will soften and melt the plastic. Heat it gently for a longer time period.

I have pretty much given up, and will order either a UPR or Silverhorse Racing trunk emblem.
Old 10/15/09, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
All of what you mentioned is true. It is a devil to get those things off there, and it is just about impossible to NOT damage either the bezel or the insert. I managed to do both. I have one small thing to add. Vinegar will help to soften that silicone adhesive. And yes, too much heat from the heat gun will soften and melt the plastic. Heat it gently for a longer time period.

I have pretty much given up, and will order either a UPR or Silverhorse Racing trunk emblem.
Good tip about the Vinigar, I will keep that in mind. Of course I had no idea it was silicone goo until after I got the insert off.
Old 10/19/09, 07:37 PM
GT Member

rear disk size

tapd117, I have a really high tech nice BJ 3 " disk Emblem that needs the chrome housing only..
Is that the size of the inner emblem 3" (the GT emblem) or you just have one that size??? Thank you.
Old 10/19/09, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

It is 3 inches wide, that is the center black GT portion.....

GG
Old 10/20/09, 07:05 AM
GT Member

It is 3 inches wide, that is the center black GT portion.....

GG
Thank you,i am going to order a Ford Racing one.