V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/12, 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The X-Charger also has a built in bypass valve so unless you put your foot in you are not into the boost and the blower is only free wheeling and draws almost no power from the engine.

The X-Charger really drives like a stock car only with a lot more power. As compared to the Vortec or Procharger. The power curve is actually smoother since boost comes in way sooner when you do put your foot into it and remains at around the same level across the entire power band unlike the centrifugals that make more boost the faster they spin. If you look at some dyno sheets between the systems you will see a very flat torque curve on the X-Charger were the Vortec and Procharger have much more of a ramp.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 11/2/12 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11/2/12, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmm I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks for the info!
Old 11/2/12, 10:00 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nice Pony
The X-Charger also has a built in bypass valve so unless you put your foot in you are not into the boost and the blower is only free wheeling and draws almost no power from the engine.

The X-Charger really drives like a stock car only with a lot more power. As compared to the Vortec or Procharger. The power curve is actually smoother since boost comes in way sooner when you do put your foot into it and remains at around the same level across the entire power band unlike the centrifugals that make more boost the faster they spin. If you look at some dyno sheets between the systems you will see a very flat torque curve on the X-Charger were the Vortec and Procharger have much more of a ramp.
Sounds like a good set up.
Old 11/2/12, 07:52 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
As far as reliability.... are there any procharger or turbo or vortech cars running with more miles on them than Nice Pony?

My own Xcharger Xtreme was on the car from 90,000 miles until I sold it at 203,000 miles. At that time it was still making 12 second passes at the track, and it was not babied at all. The new owner says it is still running strong and hopes to get to the track with it next year.

So I'd say the Xcharger is very reliable on the stock internals. Over 100,000 miles under boosted conditions.
Old 11/2/12, 07:54 PM
legacy Tms Member

Name:  DSC03418.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  79.8 KB

It is possible to run the CDC Shaker scoop with the Xcharger, if you are willing to do some fabrication. I mounted it to an aluminum plate that was mounted to the underside of the hood. Cooling air coming in the scoop on top of the blower, and open the hood and the blower was exposed for cool down.

Name:  DSC03353.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  DSC03360.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  76.8 KB
(underside of the hood wasn't finished yet in this shot)

Last edited by JimC; 11/2/12 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11/3/12, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

JimC did a lot of drag racing with his X-Charger and held his own at the drag strip against both Vortecs and Prochargers even though they make a little more high end HP they don't make the low end torque. As the old saying goes "torque wins races".

I had the opportunity to get with the senior designer at Shelby Motors that designed the CS6 a few years ago before the intercooled X-Charger Xtreem came out. The CS6 uses a Paxton/Vortec supercharger and is tuned reasonably aggressive. We took my car for a run and he was driving it and ran it through the gear and got a huge smile on his face and said "That is exactly what we need!" and mentioned how nice it pulled down low as compared to the CS6. At the time I was running the non-intercooled X-Charger HiPO with a 2.8 pulley.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 11/3/12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11/3/12, 08:29 PM
legacy Tms Member

That's right - lot of bench racers were upset to be beat at the track. They had a lot more power on the dyno but couldn't catch the XCharger Xtreme. There were a lot of V8 drivers who were surprised to lose to a V6 as well.
Old 11/3/12, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JimC
That's right - lot of bench racers were upset to be beat at the track. They had a lot more power on the dyno but couldn't catch the XCharger Xtreme. There were a lot of V8 drivers who were surprised to lose to a V6 as well.
The only thing Im on the fense about the x charger is the extra 2 grand for the inter cooler, or can a shop make me one for cheaper?
Old 11/4/12, 09:29 AM

I would like to cee your face when I would beat your x charged car with my centrifugal,you need the right setup to make it work right,what you need low end torque for? You launch and shifts are between 4800 to 6500 the rest of the race anyways and thats where you want a centri for....

Just saying a centri is a great option
Old 11/4/12, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The X-Charger doesn't just have low end torque, which is way fun for the street, but unlike your "centrifugal" has a very flat torque curve so unlike your "centrifugal" does not drop torque in between shifts which totally explains why JimC was able to consistently beat them at the track with his X-Charger Xtreem.

I never said a centrifugal isn't a "great option". The main advantage they have is the kits take a lot less to put together so are considerably less expensive, which a lot of V6 guys seem to take into great consideration. For guys that want the least expensive and most top end power they can get without going turbo or X-Charger Xtreem they are a "great option" . I'm an X-Charger guy and have only pointed out the advantages of the roots type blower. Any centrifugal guys are more than welcome to chime in hear and explain the facts as to why they think the centrifugal is a better or "great option" on the 4.0SOHC.

I personally don't drag race my Mustang. It is setup for street fun, open track and autocross all of which the low end torque of the X-Charger is perfect for. But if I had an 8.8 axle I would certainly take you up on your challenge. Don't forget, I am running a lot more torque and power with the MP1900 TVS than JimC was with the X-Charger Xtreem. I have also been drag racing since 1970 and happen to know a little about setting up for it. That's why I have a 1972 Rally Nova I take to the drag strip. LOL

Last edited by Nice Pony; 11/4/12 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11/4/12, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by atrav83
The only thing Im on the fense about the x charger is the extra 2 grand for the inter cooler, or can a shop make me one for cheaper?
No...A shop would definitely not be able to do that for you cheaper.
Old 11/4/12, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Even the speed shop type ones?
Old 11/4/12, 04:19 PM
legacy Tms Member

A "one off" intercooler would run a lot more. You have to factor in the time it takes them to fabricate the intercooler, test it, make sure it fits - and all that is for one piece that they can't recoup their costs on by selling it to multiple buyers.

The intercooler is more than the heat exchanger up front. The intercooler is the part that sandwiches between the Xcharger and the lower intake housing.

The part in in silver paint on top of the blower in this picture (blower is upside down on the table) is the intercooler part
Name:  023.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  77.3 KB

And this is the lower intake that it and the blower fasten to
Name:  022.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  84.1 KB

Last edited by JimC; 11/4/12 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11/4/12, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh ok thanks jim, where'd you get those 4.0 covers in you engine compartment? Those look sweet!
Old 11/4/12, 06:19 PM
legacy Tms Member

Unfortunately the company that made them went out of business. The only shock tower covers I've seen lately are textured black.
Old 11/4/12, 06:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by chevybeater
I would like to cee your face when I would beat your x charged car with my centrifugal,you need the right setup to make it work right,what you need low end torque for? You launch and shifts are between 4800 to 6500 the rest of the race anyways and thats where you want a centri for....

Just saying a centri is a great option
Hmmm, a supercharged V8 - I would hope you would be quicker than a supercharged V6. If not, then a driver mod would be needed LOL. The set up is a little bit different from what is being discussed in the thread - never beat a supercharged V8, but a centri supercharged 4.0 V6, yes.
Old 11/4/12, 06:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Jim...I didn't notice he was talking about a centrifugal supercharged V8. Apples to oranges for sure. I would give him a run for his money with my Nova, which would easily beat my Mustang in a drag race, if he want's to play that game...One Chevy he probably isn't going to beat!
Old 11/4/12, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Unfortunately the company that made them went out of business. The only shock tower covers I've seen lately are textured black.
**** haha where are the textured black ones? Maybe I can make a project out of it
Old 11/4/12, 11:12 PM

Honestly I dont know bout how well a
Centri works on a v6 since I do have a V8,and I race a few with twin screw,I beat them easily, and I would love to cee what my 1300rwhp ford truck would do against your nova
Old 11/4/12, 11:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by chevybeater
Honestly I dont know bout how well a
Centri works on a v6 since I do have a V8,and I race a few with twin screw,I beat them easily, and I would love to cee what my 1300rwhp ford truck would do against your nova
There are no S197 4.0SOHC V6s anywhere that are running a twin screw.

Did you notice you are posting in the 2005+ V6 section?

I would love to know what you have to offer for this thread or are even posting in for? Oh, and belive me there are plenty of cars out there that will beat your 1300rwhp ford truck...So what's your point?

How about lets get back on topic now...

Last edited by Nice Pony; 11/4/12 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: turbo or supercharger?