V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Replace Lower Ball Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/09, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replace Lower Ball Joints?

So, I have been told twice that I need to replace the ball joints for my front lower control arms.
That said, they also told me that they would have to replace the entire control arms, which run about $430 each. If that is true, I would like to replace the control arms with better aftermarket control arms. From what I have noticed on the aftermarket control arms, I cannot see where the ball joints would even connect. What is the best route to take as far as replacing the control arms and/or ball joints?
Old 10/6/09, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdk0420
So, I have been told twice that I need to replace the ball joints for my front lower control arms.
That said, they also told me that they would have to replace the entire control arms, which run about $430 each. If that is true, I would like to replace the control arms with better aftermarket control arms. From what I have noticed on the aftermarket control arms, I cannot see where the ball joints would even connect. What is the best route to take as far as replacing the control arms and/or ball joints?
i just went around with the ball joints on another forum. the book says, the balljoints are not serviceable, need to replace the control arms. i called my local oreillys, they said 180.00 per side guaranteed for life. a guy in canada posted he had had his replaced, just the balljoints. i called another oreillys, they said there were 6 balljoints scattered over the united states, one here one there. so i called the dealer, they said they did not recomend pressing in a new balljoint as it seems the control arm could crack. so i`m guessing they are cheaply made compared to older vehicles. ive also heard from another guy that once you do replace the control arms, then the balljoints can be replaced. so its been a real debate so far. i dont need them yet, but when i do, i`ll be pricing the parts, and installing myself. i would say, do your homework. start calling around, call a couple dealers, call a couple auto parts in your area and see what they say. 430.00 each? is that installed at a dealer? cause that would be about right at 95.00 a hour+parts
Old 10/7/09, 06:27 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was just a quote i got from a local firestone shop, but that is without labor.
If i were to buy an aftermarket control arm, do you know if it comes with the ball joints also or do I have to order that separately?
Old 11/14/09, 10:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced the balljoints on my car (with Steeda X5's). It's a pain in the back side, but it can be done.
Old 11/21/09, 10:51 AM
Legacy Tms Member

We did this recently with my wife's Lincoln LS - same story about being non-servicable, a few hundred per side, etc...

Bought the ball joints from a european supplier (Jag front end) and did it for 250.00 complete with the alignment.

I would imagine the LS=Mustang basic design in that area would work about the same. Everyone is going to non-servicable wear items, boosts profits until someone figures out how to make them servicable and then they get to make the $$.

Just a data point to consider.
Old 11/21/09, 11:01 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I replaced the balljoints on my car (with Steeda X5's). It's a pain in the back side, but it can be done.
I need to do this. Did you do the bumpsteer kit also? I have bumpsteer issues on the GT. Between the 1.5" FRPP K-spring drop and the weight of the blower over the front end.

I don't like hearing that its a pain in the backside though.
Old 11/21/09, 05:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I need to do this. Did you do the bumpsteer kit also? I have bumpsteer issues on the GT. Between the 1.5" FRPP K-spring drop and the weight of the blower over the front end.

I don't like hearing that its a pain in the backside though.
I bought a bumpsteer kit when I did the X-5's, but after checking everything, it turned out it wasn't needed on my car.
Old 11/21/09, 05:33 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I suppose the real question is, did you do all the work your self? I've got some X-5's sitting in a box left over from my GT and as far as I can tell the GT500 uses the same ball-joint (although I thought it was different, I haven't come across that info again). Next summer I'm thinking about putting the FRPP suspensiuon kit on and one of the things I'm probably gonna do is add the X-5s to correct the front geometry do to the drop. Probably gonna let a shop handle the work on the balljoints, bumpsteer kit and rear upper control arm, the rest isn't that big of a deal.
Old 11/21/09, 11:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by bob
I suppose the real question is, did you do all the work your self? I've got some X-5's sitting in a box left over from my GT and as far as I can tell the GT500 uses the same ball-joint (although I thought it was different, I haven't come across that info again). Next summer I'm thinking about putting the FRPP suspensiuon kit on and one of the things I'm probably gonna do is add the X-5s to correct the front geometry do to the drop. Probably gonna let a shop handle the work on the balljoints, bumpsteer kit and rear upper control arm, the rest isn't that big of a deal.
Yes, I did all the work myself in the driveway on jackstands using a rented ball joint tool kit from Autozone. It's not the most fun job, but it's possible.
Old 12/3/09, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious... My car was just in the shop having the harmonic balancer and tensioner replaced and the guys showed me some play in the ball joints on my car. I found the FRPP Front Lower Control Arms with Ball Joints (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9632)... anybody installed these on their stang? I've already called Ford Racing to confirm they will fit on a V6 and they will. I was just wondering how difficult the swap out was going to be for the whole control arm vs. just doing the ball joints.
Old 12/4/09, 05:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
FYI
https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=477325
Old 6/30/12, 01:55 PM

on my 2001 v6 w/ 314K miles (yes 314K) the ball joint broke suddenly while turning and the wheel went on an angle after I got it into a gas station. They wanted to replace the control arm, so i had it towed to a garage in Paterson where they fixed it right away, just the ball joint, for $160. I just worry about the other side, is there a wear indicator or how to measure it so I know if it's "getting there" and should spend another $160 or is it better to leave it alone unless there are other symptoms?
Old 7/1/12, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Richocet83
Just curious... My car was just in the shop having the harmonic balancer and tensioner replaced and the guys showed me some play in the ball joints on my car. I found the FRPP Front Lower Control Arms with Ball Joints (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9632)... anybody installed these on their stang? I've already called Ford Racing to confirm they will fit on a V6 and they will. I was just wondering how difficult the swap out was going to be for the whole control arm vs. just doing the ball joints.
i put frpp arms on mine, and new tie rods. it was all shot at 100k. it wasnt too bad except for the steering rack. it has to be moved just a tiny bit to get the bolts off.i blasted the nuts loose on the frt of the rack only to find they had been tack welded. (i thought my impact was getting weak) they dont have the little heat shields on them like the oem, over the bushing but no big deal. some guys clamped them on off the old arms. got the arms from am and the tie rods from rockauto.
Old 10/5/14, 01:49 PM

I have a question new here in this forum i have a mustang gt 06 and about 4 weeks now i started to hear a noise coming from the suspension part but only when turning the wheel as the days went by the sound gets louder its like creaking but only when the car its been used for a while early in the morning i can't hear it but later on in the day its there they told me it was the ball joints my question is i found them in a local auto parts at a decent price but i been looking online and found them at higher prives i know its the brand and quality i was wondering i found some in ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Piece-Front-Suspension-Ball-Joint-Sway-Bar-Tie-Rods-Ford-Mustang-1-Yr-Warranty-/161165594726?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CModel%3AMustang%7CSubmodel%3AGT&hash=item258637d066&vxp=mtr
Old 10/5/14, 01:54 PM

Has anybody use this parts............... Do you recommend .......... http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Piece-Suspension-Set-for-Ford-Mustang-1-Year-Warranty-/131248195546?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CModel%3AMustang%7CSubmodel%3AGT&hash=item1e8f0087da&vxp=mtr