V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Not the typical suspension question..or is it??

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/12, 09:25 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the typical suspension question..or is it??

Ok, if you're going to tell me to hit the search button don't bother posting...because all I've been doing is researching. Doing more reading as of late is what put me in this predicament....I'm getting a little ahead of myself, so let me start from the beginning.

I made up my mind regarding all mods to be done to my car about 3 years ago and I'm now purchasing my suspension components. I already purchased a set of Vogtland lowering springs and now I'm about to buy shocks. I had already decided on Tokico D-Specs, but as I do before any major purchase I read and research. I did a little of that in the beginning which lead me to picking the D-Specs, but now what I read is saying that Koni Yellows are much, much better. My goals for the car are simple...street/Daily driver with limited track time. I'm not trying to be the fastest stang out there, but when I spend this kind of money I want to spend it wisely. As far as quality goes I've read Koni's are better, but the adjust-ability of the D-Specs is possibly better. Most people say they would get the Koni's, but the price made them pick the D-Specs. As far as price goes I've managed to price the D-Specs w/remote adjusters @ $596 and the Koni Yellows at $643, both prices are shipped to my door. To me the cost difference is very minimal if what I've heard about warranty replacement is true. They both have pretty much the same warranty, but getting a replacement out of Tokico is a nightmare compared to Koni. The only real downside I see to getting the Koni's for me is the lack of a remote adjuster. I say this because I have an amp and sub in the trunk and it would really suck to move one or the other when I want to make adjustments. Once I get it dialed in I might not screw with adjusting them as much, but it's still a bummer.

I guess what I'm looking for is feedback from people who have had either set, if the differences are major...and after a few years of availability are the warranty replacements still a ***** to get from Tokico? Ny other feedback would be great as well. My other suspension upgrades will be as follows:

J&M Adj. UCA, LCAs, LCA Relo Bracket & Adj Panhard
Eibach Camber Adjustment Bolts
Ford Racing (FRPP) M-18183-C 2011 Mustang GT500 Front Strut Mounts
New Bump Stops / Jounce kit
GT Takeoff Sway Bars

Thanks for reading my novel!
Old 6/27/12, 10:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I was actually just talking with someone about going adjustable. I think you're where I am... In my mind I want to do track days every now and then so adjustability sounds really nice. But at the same time non adjustables are a lot cheaper, and the guy I was talking with says most people really only adjust them once and leave them. It's up to you, but that's just a thought. Kind of swayed me to just go koni str.t's. And the lifetime warranty is enticing
Old 6/27/12, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the front shock caps swiped at a car show, emailed Tokico and offered to buy replacements, and they sent 5 no questions asked.

I adjust them all the time, takes a couple minutes. Some days I like driving on rails, some days nice and cushy, not to mention switching between 17 and 18" rims changes unsprung weight and the driving characteristics change requiring adjustment. Going on 4 years on a DD with Tokicos and no complaints.

Last edited by Womprat; 6/27/12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 6/27/12, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Womprat
I had the front shock caps swiped at a car show, emailed Tokico and offered to buy replacements, and they sent 5 no questions asked.

I adjust them all the time, takes a couple minutes. Some days I like driving on rails, some days nice and cushy, not to mention switching between 17 and 18" rims changes unsprung weight and the driving characteristics change requiring adjustment. Going on 4 years on a DD with Tokicos and no complaints.
Really? You didn't get the run around? I saw the thread started by Tillman Speed (vendor) regarding the crappy service they were getting from Tokico to get warranty replacements.

Last edited by Topless Stang; 6/27/12 at 04:26 PM.
Old 6/27/12, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Topless Stang
Really? You didn't get the run around? I saw the thread started by Tillman Sports (vendor) regarding the crappy service they were getting from Tokico to get warranty replacements.
tillman speed? ive thought about those for years now, ive been running gt everything on my V6 but a friend just sent me his takeoff bullitt spring/struts/shocks so i`m going with that here when i get a chance to install the stuff. i guess the bullitts sit about 1/2" lower than stock. i didnt really want to lower my car, but its alot stiffer set up so i`m gonna try it out. (and the price was right)

maybe next time around i`ll have to check into those