GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/07, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the car isn't going to see track duty you should be fine for normal on street use. If you do start ******* it (and really using those Brembos) you may EVENTUALLY have issues. Just keep an eye on those bearings and make sure you keep your lugs torqued. The spacers of yesteryear were crap and had awful variations in thickness. Todays are very true so you shouldn't have balance issues at all. Naturally this advice comes with no warranties expressed or implied! I definitely see where you're coming from though regarding the two sets of wheels/tires...
Old 3/18/07, 03:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
i have the 1" (25mm) hubcentric spacers on my fronts from Eibach - got them in order to have my 18" OEM fanblades clear the GT500 brakes.

since installing them, i've measured and only really need 10mm-12mm (~1/2") of clearance, but cannot seem to find proper hubcentric spacers for the fronts that have the integral bolts (where they are built right into the spacer, as my eibach ones are).

i have driven my car hard (though not on the track) without any issues. however, 1" is too wide for the fronts imho (looks ok tho) - it shoots more crap down the side of the car, i already have a few paint chips.

if i can find proper 1/2", i'll move the 1"ers to the back and put the new ones up front.

this is all, of course, until i can afford the 19" forged rims i want, which will clear the brakes without spacers at all.
Why don't you use a 1/2 spacer with MOROSO [46220 wheel studs? Also have you put a feeler gage between the wheel and caliper to check the distance? I am running .010 clearence between my Mustang Tuning DDs and caliper with a .180 spacer
Old 3/18/07, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Why don't you use a 1/2 spacer with MOROSO [46220 wheel studs? Also have you put a feeler gage between the wheel and caliper to check the distance? I am running .010 clearence between my Mustang Tuning DDs and caliper with a .180 spacer
Do you have a link to where to get the .180 spacers? I'm running 7/32's (.21) with my Mustang Tuning DD's and would like to use the thinnest I can get away with.
Old 3/18/07, 07:12 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by Mongoose

Yep, as part of my brake install we (tech and I) measured the gap and it was approx 17mm between the wheel and caliper with my 25mm (1") spacer, which means I only really needed a 8mm spacer (~10mm to be safe).

I've been told that wheel spacers with integral bolts are the best for front axle applications. If someone can tell me otherwise, I'm all ears. I think perhaps the hubcentric Maximum Motorsport 1/2" (~12.5mm) might be ok, with lugs as you describe. However, they are only listed for '94-'04. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/in...roducts_id=575

?

Kristina
Old 3/26/07, 12:34 PM
Cobra Member

im also considering spacers because the offset of my front wheels give like 2-3mm clearance of stock caliper to wheel spoke.

i personally do not know what American Racing/tirerack sold a wheel with that tight of clearance. And shame on me for not making sure of this...

so, the only thing i can think of is 1" spacer so that i can actually upgrade to 14" brakes
Old 3/26/07, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Yep, as part of my brake install we (tech and I) measured the gap and it was approx 17mm between the wheel and caliper with my 25mm (1") spacer, which means I only really needed a 8mm spacer (~10mm to be safe).

I've been told that wheel spacers with integral bolts are the best for front axle applications. If someone can tell me otherwise, I'm all ears. I think perhaps the hubcentric Maximum Motorsport 1/2" (~12.5mm) might be ok, with lugs as you describe. However, they are only listed for '94-'04. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/in...roducts_id=575

?

Kristina

hi kristina, what brand spacers you using now? i assume all is good with no vibration issues?

i know german car guys use spacers for everything as well as track course races with no problem. bmw, audi, etc...
Old 3/26/07, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
hi kristina, what brand spacers you using now? i assume all is good with no vibration issues?

i know german car guys use spacers for everything as well as track course races with no problem. bmw, audi, etc...
Hi YaoNYC, the spacers I am using are Eibach 25mm, they are hubcentirc with integral bolts. No issues whatsoever (knocks on wood). As I said, to me esthetically it's weird to have the front wheels stick out further then the back wheels, when the backs are the ones that could stand for a little spacing. If someone could help answer my question about MM's 1/2" spacers, I may just do that.

K
Old 3/27/07, 07:00 AM
V6 Member

I bought a set of these to go with my 18" Bullitts and GT500 Brembos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25mm-...7073QQtcZphoto

I have a set of GT500 wheels as backup, but I love the Bullitts on my car. They seem to be great quality - especially for the price. Still, I've yet to fit them....
Old 3/27/07, 07:31 AM

Just in case anyone is curious, this is the (helpful and prompt) reply I received from Maximum Motorsports, to my email:

Hi,
I have an 06 GT with GT500 brakes on the front & Eibach 1" spacers to fit my OEM 18" Fanblade rims. I don't need that much clearance as it turns out and want to use a 1/2" size and use the 1" spacers on the rear, but I see your hubcentric spacers are only for 94-04. Do you have a 1/2" hubcentric that will fit my car? Also, I've heard that integral bolt hubcentric spacers are best to use for front applications - any feedback on this? Is it ok to just use longer studs up front instead? Thanks, Kristina

Kristina,
Our MMWS-7, 1/2" spacers, were specifically designed for your application. They do not however include the hub centric lip as pictured below, because it will not work on your 05+ front hub. As with any 1/2" thick spacer, you will be required to replace your factory wheel studs with our longer 3" front studs (Moroso, ARP). Installing these studs will require you to slightly enlarge the holes in your stock hub flange. These spacers are not available for purchase through our website yet, so if you would like to order them you must call us at the number below. They can typically ship within 24 hours and retail for $74.95. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for your interest in Maximum Motorsports products.
As a rule, is it generally not a good idea to increase the holes in your stock hub?
Old 3/27/07, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It means you won't be able to go back to the stock studs ever, without replacing the hubs.